Tomorrow i'm walking into the place that makes tiny homes in my town and applying to be a carpenter there...

tomorrow i'm walking into the place that makes tiny homes in my town and applying to be a carpenter there. I've never been a carpenter or done any kind of construction work, and i'm 29. I think i'm going to get the job though. Gonna give'm the old firm handshake. What do you guys think?

Attached: 1597863044452.jpg (587x587, 29.73K)

> Tell me, son. What's your prior experience as a carpenter?
How do you respond

Attached: 43f52e617144611ef1c76d04fe58f23c.jpg (736x368, 32.23K)

What do you think of becoming a carpenter?
Jesus Christ was a carpenter. Would you follow his path?

Attached: lcod05s68o211.jpg (814x1093, 194.96K)

none, but i hope to work hard and learn a lot here, and i'll be sure to make my presence here worth what you pay me right quick.

I would be upfront about the fact that you have no prior experience but are willing to learn. Do not just lead them on and waste their time until the end of the interview where they find out your lack of skill. IF you pick up concepts quickly, stress that. If you do not, do not lie. You will not be doing yourself any favors by lying yourself into a job you are wildly unqualified for. If you fuck up a big project you might literally have to pay for it. Lumber is expensive. If it does not go well, look around on work exchange websites for local listings. People there are usually doing smaller projects like building themselves a shed, a greenhouse, or even a tiny home, and for the company and extra hands they are willing to teach you. Not pay. But it would get you some experience so you do not go into a future carpentry position interview totally green.

well really i want the skills needed to renovate and flip/rent some of the old run down properties in town, so starting work as a carpenter seems like the best place to start picking up these skills.

I am a Christian too.

NTA but if you are set on getting into this shop, maybe you could try to get an unskilled position there like the person who answers the phone and takes down the information for new clients? From there you could try to befriend some of the workers and if they are the nice old grizzly grandpa types, if you gain their respect they might be willing to hang around after closing hours and teach you a few things or let you shadow them as they work so you can try to pick up some skills from watching.

i'd be willing to come in and hang around for a few hours a day a few days a week to learn, so long as it's treated sort of as an extended interview while I pick up the basics and prove myself to be reliable. I am aware that i'm applying for a job in a business. I've worked at other companies and understand that supplies and time are valuable to a company and i don't intend to waste either.

they're looking for carpenters, multiple job postings, and the postings have been up for a while. I think I have an advantage because they've been looking for new workers for so long, I think they wouldn't mind recruiting a total newbie who is willing to learn.

I can't hang around after hours though because I have my current job to attend.

The skills required for this is crunching numbers and having a crew you can trust so that you can pay others for the work, know exactly how long it will take and then turn a profit. It's not a one man gig to rennovate and flip. You'll need cash and credit still so working a construction job wont be a bad thing and you'll learn some stuff

i know i'm not going to be working alone renovating a house, but i should be able to walk through a house, see everything that needs to be done and be able to ballpark what it'll cost, and when I have a crew working on my project, I want to be able to slot myself in for any of the positions other men are taking on that job.

The other issue is finding a work crew i can trust, and if i'm just a random guy calling around because i don't know anybody or anything about the industry or the people around here in the industry, i'm going to get screwed over. I need to get in the game and meet people.

>Why should I pay you at all? People go to school to learn all this, and it costs a lot of money. I don't need dead weight around here.

Attached: 8A5867F9-154A-48DD-A50C-35A5DA976EF2.jpg (736x368, 53.07K)

Boomers unironically think that. They have already paid for your education through their taxes, so they're entitled to your labour.

If you can't read a tape measurer, just give up.

Carpentry is easy to pick up if you are dedicated and strong.

Maybe you can do an adult apprenticeship, depending on your country.

well, OP, i do hope you have a backup career to follow in case they tell you to piss off. you have big balls to be pulling this stunt in the face of potential rejection.
huh. jobs are kinda like getting women.
interesting.

I have a job interview tomorrow myself. I strongly doubt I'm getting the job, but I want to at least try.

Sounds like a good plan, but you should also try the firm handshake with a girl, you should get the same result.

i already have a job. i'm trying to get this one because i don't think i can learn much more from the one i'm at now.

yeah, i'll pick it up quick i think. I have done physically demanding work before too, i'm not shy about it.

you have two open positions for entry level carpenters. You'll be taking a risk on 18 year olds getting out of the technical school who might not be serious or responsible, or you can take a chance on me who has held down a job and paid his bills for the last 10 years in other fields, who is looking to learn and is entering a job feeling like he has to prove himself.

I asked a girl at my current job to take a walk with me through one of the parks in town on tuesday and I think that's happening. I helped her move her furniture into her new apartment a couple weeks ago and her roommate is kind of a pain, and also dealing with some serious dental affliction and has been very demanding of the girls care and attention. So I told her that it'd probably be good to get her out in the fresh air and away from her roommate for a bit.

>Those 18 year olds don't have a bunch of bad habits. You sound like a loser, wanting a kid's job. Plus you probably want more money than I'm willing to pay them, and I can't abuse you at work. Get lost, pal.

Attached: 2D9684A9-7A91-4D04-B228-AA1F5F396599.jpg (640x320, 48.22K)