/TOP/ - The Odin Project

Are you ashamed with your position in life?
Do you have 0 valuable skills?
Do you want to be able to get a job that makes you at least high 5 figures?

Then The Odin Project is for you!

>What is The Odin Project?
The Odin Project is a high quality coding education created by an Open-Source community. By completing this course you will be qualified enough to begin working as a junior web developer.

>What is this general dedicated to?
It is basically an accountability thread. We should all post our progress and our struggles in order to help each other level up and improve our situation in life.

>What do I need to get started?
You will need:
- A github
- An internet connection
- A code editor
- An Unix based operating system (Install a virtual machine if you are on windows)
- A tripcode to track your progress (Optional)

Important links:
>theodinproject.com/
>github.com/
>theodinproject.com/success_stories

Attached: 4441966.png (280x280, 11.73K)

is it free? i'm a coder now and i only make $45k

>By completing this course you will be qualified enough to begin working as a junior web developer
that's not high 5 figures

How do I find a job after learning this?
t. europoor who wants to work with amerimutt companies that don't pay crumbs to foreigners

Yeah it is free.
I should have said if you completed their entire course (Fullstack) and built a good portfolio off of it.
You would have a nice portfolio just from finishing the first parts of the course. Lots of people out of college don't have actual portfolios. Plus if you are from Europe you can always just branch off to something like Rust and start coding crypto projects.

TOP is kinda shit 2bh, I found greater value from the docs for each respective language/framework
they literally have tutorials on them, i don't see why you'd need any other resource
at most, you can just look up a youtube video for project ideas
currently working with react.js, gonna make a few projects, push them to github, upload live demos onto a portfolio, and start applying to jobs by july/august

not a single webdev resource will provide value for you if you don't solidify your knowledge by building your own projects

>You would have a nice portfolio just from finishing the first parts of the course. Lots of people out of college don't have actual portfolios. Plus if you are from Europe you can always just branch off to something like Rust and start coding crypto projects
What I meant is like what websites I can use to get hired quickly and consistently after completing my portfolio

>if you completed their entire course (Fullstack) and built a good portfolio off of it.
how long does it take

Realistically becoming competent as a developer will probably take you years. From the people I have talked to some got hired within 6 months to 2 years of sticking with the project. Apparently beginner webdevs are in demand but a lot of them have no idea what they are doing / no portfolios.
You need to have a linkedin, github, and some sort of online social media presence in order to get hired quickly. I'm creating a website to display my portfolio.
I'm just using it as a starting point alongside other resources.

>becoming competent as a developer will probably take you years
i've been a web dev for 7 years, i only make $45k

Nice website lol.

Attached: IMG_20220321_010416.jpg (1080x1811, 154.12K)

Eh, I'm an embedded software engineer but I might do this anyway since I've just been laid off
don't plan on being a webdev but it'd be nice to know a bit more

>- An Unix based operating system (Install a virtual machine if you are on windows)
WSL2 will work just fine right?

Where the hell do you live?
Yea.

>Where the hell do you live?
Florida, USA

This is very interesting OP, i've been meaning to learn how to into a decent linux distro and make and self host my own website

Now that's certainly high 5 digits worthy

I support this project but I myself am too retarded to code and too late in life to bother competing with millions of jeets and kids who were twenty years early to the game. Bump because self improvement is a baste way to spend time, though.

can i use this together with my graphic design area? Or is it not a co-related area and I should stick to things related to design?

Attached: download (1).jpg (800x506, 26.89K)

>"learn to code" top trend on social media
>youtube tutorials for web frameworks all have millions of views
>every random person is learning to code
>every cashier, warehouse worker, shelf stocker thinks they will soon have a $150k job
>"Learn to code! Learn to code! Your dream job awaits!"
>dev jobs are now paying $40k-$70k in FUCKING SAN FRANCISCO, where rent+utilities is $30k minimum
>perform any google search
>ad: "Google is hiring! $300k starting! Learn to code today!"
>unrelated video result: "how i learned goatse.js and suicide.js in one week!" - 4 million views
i fell for the meme but i'm too far along now.
with the 1-2 years it will take to become a proficient webshitter, you could easily become a paralegal or a medical machine technician or do literally anything else with your life. if you can afford any of these things, then stay far away from web development

i forgot to mention, other countries are full of people BEGGING for those $40k remote dev jobs. so wages haven't even bottomed out yet
proof:

the job market is unrelenting too... there are people who have applied to over 300+ jobs and have a degree and side projects but still find no success. It's all a scam.