Why did my parents never teach me independence or self discipline...

Why did my parents never teach me independence or self discipline? Like they provided everything I needed and were nice enough but yet they never made me do anything and pushed me. Are most peoples parents these days like this? Its left me totally useless and restricted. And I hate seeing it when people repeat it with their kids.

Attached: 97D6F6EB-5AEA-4444-95B3-A4DF3C4E820E.jpg (750x547, 238.28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ul_xzyCDT98
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_antidepressant_consumption
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Why did my parents never teach me independence or self discipline? Like they provided everything I needed and were nice enough but yet they never made me do anything and pushed me.
I'm 99% certain we have the same parents.

did you know that their is literally no pre requisites to being a parent other than putting your fick in a vagina, thees no tests that you have to take or basic skills you have to possess to pass the are u gonna raise a failure exam
thats crazy

Fuck. Tell me more.

I think in at least some cases they're just people with intrinsic motivation and they can't understand why their kid wouldn't have it, since they and everyone they ever knew either always wanted to "do something" or if they did have a slacker phase, just snapped out of it.

>Fuck. Tell me more.
I'm 35 years old in less than a week and I still live with my family and have NO DIRECTION.
I was never told off, I was never pushed into anything, I was never ANYTHING... my parents have always just been like "well... fuck it... whatever...".
They were never strict enough.
I wish I was forced into things as a kid or even later than that.
I've always been let off with everything I've ever done... I was a cunt for years, I used to get drunk and steal their car at night for months and when they found out I was told "we could never kick you out of the house" so it gave me free reign to do whatever whenever.
My parents are TOO NICE... STILL... I'M 35 ON WEDNESDAY AND I STILL PAY NO MONEY TO THEM, GET EVERYTHING DONE FOR ME, HAVE NO JOB... fuck.
It's my fault too.
I just wish I'd got punched in the face as a kid for being a twat.

This must be the case. I hate how they think Im just like them. Im not.

You can thank US city planners and engineers.

Wdym. Is it just a problem entrained into society?

he's gonna blame the fact that you weren't forced to grow up in a commieblock

Im sorry. I hope your life changes soon.

Thanks, me too... only I can change it.

no quite the opposite, actually.
US city planners opted to go for suburbs and city sprawl that requires cars to get anywhere instead of being able to walk or ride a bike. On top of that most cities have terrible or non existent public transportation. This is harmful in a lot of ways, such as increasing the cost of living by making car ownership almost mandatory and increasing the cost of property rental/ownership, because single family dwellings are more expensive to rent or buy than a single apartment unit/condo/whatever.

This is also harmful specifically for children. Most parents in the US generally don't want their children going out alone until they are almost legal adults, for fear of them being kidnapped, hit by traffic, etc. Because everything is more spread out in US cities, children also have to go farther to reach destinations like school, sports clubs, parks, friend's houses, etc. If parents don't have the time or just don't want to take their kid somewhere, then they're stuck at home or stuck to their immediate neighborhood.
youtube.com/watch?v=ul_xzyCDT98
This video has a better, more in depth explanation of what I mean.

Attached: 1638232819831.png (255x255, 87.21K)

>>no quite the opposite, actually.
that's quite literally exactly the argument I expected you to make. You want everyone to be stuffed into ultra-dense areas like so many sardines. That's an awful way to live, there's a reason people fled to the suburbs as soon as it was viable.

ah, I'm very drunk so my reading comprehension isn't the best at the moment.
>You want everyone to be stuffed into ultra-dense areas like so many sardines
Do you like commuting 30 minutes or more each way for work? Do you like having to drive 10 minutes just to get to a few things from a grocery store? Do you like having to structure your entire day around avoiding rush hour traffic? Do you like having to pay for a loan, gas, and maintenance of a car? Because that's reality for the overwhelming majority of people in the US. The whole reason people moved to cities since the dawn of civilization was to be closer to people and the goods/services those people provided. I would personally rather cities be designed around people rather than cars.
>That's an awful way to live, there's a reason people fled to the suburbs as soon as it was viable.
People "fled" to suburbs because that's the only way developers were allowed to build. Major cities were literally rebuilt to better accommodate cars at the decree of city planners and politicians. Also, considering the Netherlands is ranked one of the happiest places in the world, I doubt it's an "awful way to live"

Attached: 9.jpg (443x370, 47.48K)

>cities be designed around people
in no way do I desire to be that close to people. I don't want to hear the people in the units next to me watching TV or yelling at their kids at all hours. Car ownership is a small price to pay for getting away from density.
>Also, considering the Netherlands is ranked one of the happiest places in the world
don't they also have one of the world's highest per-capita rates of SSRI prescriptions?

>in no way do I desire to be that close to people
That's fine. You can always go live in a more rural area. believe it or not those still exist in places like the Netherlands for people who choose to live there.
>don't they also have one of the world's highest per-capita rates of SSRI prescriptions?
From what I found there's not much data on that in the first place, but the Netherlands ranks towards the bottom of this list
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_antidepressant_consumption
Not to mention this part:
"The OECD have not included the United States in these reviews, but if added the country would have the highest or second-highest rate."

I was having the same conversation with my brother the other day.

About how no one tells you that self control is important, being here in my teenage years I thought I was cheating the system by getting everything I want from technology, actively avoiding in-depth friendships now I know I was just substituting everything with the internet. Friendless, loveless, jobless on top of being scared of the world because I never experienced anything.

Any way my brother's 32 in your shoes, no one complains to his face so he thinks it's okay or something.

No one tells you it's not okay they're too preoccupied with trying to stop the pain they're feeling on a day to day basis. I preach to my 11 year old sister about these things when I go to visit but I know it's in one ear then out the other.

It's a sad state, the only bright side is that this generation will grow up like me-but less with Any Forums more with the other social media poison I wonder what adults they will produce.

>the other social media poison I wonder what adults they will produce.
Sociopaths. I'm not exaggerating. tiktok zoomers are fucking scary.

it also doesn't help that zoomers were raised as essentially the anti-millennials.

millennials were raised for a touchy feely, let's talk about our feelings, end of history, neoliberalism with a hug kind of world. to an extent their rampant political activity is borne of feeling cheated out of that world by the war on terror, the global financial crisis and general life in the 21st century. they're a soft, naive and emotionally ruled generation

zoomers on the other hand were raised for a cynical, devastated, dead world where anything and everything could and would be used against you by others. they learned early on that if something or someone doesn't provide any sort of value to you, you either completely ignore them or treat them like a toy, to fuck with and abuse as you see fit while hiding behind justifications. the worst part is that a zoomer isn't your high school bully who would eventually mature, a zoomer isn't playing the tough - they genuinely can justify and rationalise anything and everything away. they're completely ruthless, believe in nothing and flit between groups, friends, political affiliations, nations, anything to their benefit or amusement.

millennials at least generally suck at ruling, so a sort of status quo is maintained when they take charge. when zoomers come into their own though, hoo boy, expect a true nightmare world

Holy fuck you're spot on. The more I thought about it, the more I realized I've seen the general behaviors and mindset you described manifest across a lot of different zoomer stereotypes in varying degrees.
>t. zoomer