I'm so lost

I was gifted this bible late last year and have been understanding everything fairly well but a few days ago one of my friends asked me what version I was reading and I told him it was the NIV and he then proceeded to call it the Non Inspired Version and went on sort of a rant about it, can't remember exactly said but the gist was to get a different version. I'm gonna keep reading it cause I can understand it better than others but what gives though? Are there other versions more truer than NIV or what? I just want to read what is right, understand everything correctly, and be closer to God.

Attached: NIV Bible.jpg (2560x1920, 299.69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=qupevxLwMok
youtube.com/watch?v=SLK5CdR0ojc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_and_the_woman_taken_in_adultery
linkedin.com/pulse/niv-conspiracy-rob-buckingham
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

He just thinks God want us to read 'thou' and 'wilt' every 5 seconds.

Maybe I guess, I was gonna talk to him about that but he goes super into depth about stuff and I'd probably be lost within the first 2 minutes of the conversation.

How does reading the bible make one closer to God? I never got how that works

Well maybe not closer to God but moreso you're able to understand him, who he is, and who he wants you to be. At least thats what I think.

Coincidentally, I literally gifted this same exact bible to a friend last week. I read NIV, and I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Some people say that some passages don't hold the same weight as other editions, but for someone who doesn't know every book by heart, I think more is gained in being able to actually understand it than is lost in emphasis. The cool kids read KJV, but I have a hard time reading it.

Either way, don't listen to anyone who gives you crap for trying to read the Bible. Some people are going to have stronger opinions than others what edition to use. Don't let it get to ya.

>more truer
It's a bunch of books written over a thousand years in two different millenia-old languages. It's not about what version is "truer" it's about what gets the idea of the original text across best. If you wanna study language and translations after then go for it but that's an extra layer of knowledge on top of the text itself.

He speaks for himself a decent amount over the whole thing so you get a decent gist of what the guy is like.

From what I know the Catholic versions have more books in them. Unrelated but recommend getting a Catholic one so you can read the other books.

Attached: Explained.png (800x456, 26.48K)

Hey OP, and anons. I say this very politely, the NIV is NOT the word of God. Here's an example:
>John 3:16 (NIV) "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
Vs
>John 3:16 (KJV) "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
You see the NIV says "one and only Son" which is incorrect and makes no sense in context of the bible. Adam, angels, the children of Israel and Christians are referred to as sons of God in the bible. The difference is that the Lord Jesus is the only begotten Son of God. That's why the KJV says he's the only begotten. Which is factually correct. While the NIV is saying a blatant lie. The NIV also has verses missing, and supposedly 60k words missing as well. So dear user, I counsel to stop reading the NIV and start reading the KJV.
>In English, the KJV Bible is God's word. Period.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=qupevxLwMok
>saved according to the Bible
youtube.com/watch?v=SLK5CdR0ojc
When you read Genesis 1 and 2, you can see God speaking things into existence. God is the Word in the beginning.
>Genesis 1:3 "And God said, Let there be light: and there was light."
The Bible where the word of God is written is the same. Its spirit and life. Its his you get to spend time with God personally.
>John 6:63 "It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life"
And faith comes by hearing.
>Romans 10:17 "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."
I hope you understand, user. Check out the links in post.

Attached: 1643354438814.gif (500x717, 852.08K)

>Are there other versions more truer than NIV or what?
You really can't tell anymore, the bible (OT and NT) has been manipulated by the words of uninspired men for thousands of years. Like consider how late 1 John 5:7 was added but also something even more notable like.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_and_the_woman_taken_in_adultery

Attached: 1639339626047.jpg (960x960, 229.86K)

Read "Misquoting Jesus" by Bart Ehrman and you'll understand why people get so heated about Bible translations, and why anyone who claims the KJV is the word of God is wrong. The book is about scholarly attempts to figure out what the books originally said, since the original copies (and the copies of the originals, and the copies of the copies etc etc) have all been lost
That's because the word "begotten" doesn't appear in the oldest copies of the gospel of John. There is a wide scholarly consensus that it was not originally in the gospel but was later inserted by scribes on theological grounds. You should really learn more about the history of the Bible before you start making theological points. Do you really think you know better than John (i.e. whoever wrote his gospel)?

That's the problem with religion OP
it's just a bunch of homo's arguing what is the truth meanwhile no one knows the actual truth

user, with all due respect. I don't care what scholar, or what theologian thinks. The word of God says what it says. The serpent deceived Eve by lying to her about what God said. The art of theology today is lying to people by twisting the scriptures, adding things that aren't there. Just like the serpent did to Eve.
>There is a wide scholarly consensus
Just like taking the death jab?
>Do you really think you know better than John (i.e. whoever wrote his gospel)?
Open the Bible and read what John said. Not what "experts" think John said. Paul the Apostle called theology dung.

21st century "Christians" are retarded. They actually think the KJV is the word of God. If you guys actually took the Bible seriously then I could respect you but you don't take it seriously at all

>niv
linkedin.com/pulse/niv-conspiracy-rob-buckingham
Read geneva bible.

Then what the best version?

NIV is cringe
Use KJV if you can change your frame of reference and can deal with linguistic differences or if you can't use NASB1995
The reason it's called that is because there's a 2020 version that makes explicit a lot of the various euphemisms but also makes a lot of traditionally masculine terminology gender neutral which is retarded to read
That said, if you're epic learn koine greek, but you're not so deal with the translation differences

Attached: Bible Translations.png (3508x2481, 106.13K)

Le traditions of men face
Unbelieving internet tradXs posting garbage like this is why the bad trees that the wayward men of the world find themselves in will be so surprised when unquenchable fire consumes them

Attached: 3ad4a30fa7b7eeb171272da99fdad8d160f3668113153f2c8f9343c9abf13dec.jpg (666x500, 116.29K)

God isn't real.
Men are beasts that stood up and earned the divine by their own merit.

tana"kh >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> bible
hebrew >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> engrish
basic self-study of natural law and moral conduct >>>>>> Rabbinic "NoahiDism" >>>>> Christianity

Choosing a translation for personal study is a varied and complicated topic. Certain translations are more academic, and will give you better senses of the original text. Other translations have done the work of projecting that original meaning into what it means for today's audiences.
tl;dr you will want to use each translation for different things, and you will want to read commentary.

Attached: most-accurate-bible-translation-chart-2021-1140x556[1].jpg (1140x556, 70.8K)