/fast/ - Fasting General

>Last thread:

>How do I fast/ safely do an extended fast?
It's easy! Just DON'T EAT. Anything with calories will break your fast - consume artificial sweeteners and zero-calorie drinks such as black coffee/ tea, Diet Coke, etc. at your own discretion.
If you're planning to fast for any longer than 72 hours, take your fucken' salts. Take Snake Juice*, or supplement electrolytes.

*SNAKE JUICE RECIPE:
2L Water
1tsp Potassium chloride
1tsp Sodium chloride
( OPTIONAL ): 1tsp Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) - makes its taste less hellish, recommended for longer fasts.
( OPTIONAL ):1tsp Magnesium
Mix and sip it throughout the day, don't drink all of it at once.

>What's IF/ OMAD/ ADF?
IF = Intermittent Fasting; fasting daily with a shorter eating window. 16:8 (16 hour fast, 8 hour eating window) is the minimum cycle. Beginners should start with this and gradually work their way up to longer fasts through weekly intervals.
OMAD = One Meal a Day, most commonly eaten within a one-hour maximum timeframe.
ADF (OMEOD) = Alternate Day Fasting. Fast for a day, eat for another, repeat.
>What are rolling 48s/72s/96s?
Rolling 48s entail fasting for 48 hours following a meal, refeeding (within a one-hour window), and repeating. It's the same senitment with rolling 72s/ 96s/ etc. It's recommended to refeed at your TDEE or higher with a low-carb and high-protein/fat content meal.

( Extra )
>How much weight will I lose per week?
It's dependant on your TDEE and stats; for each respective day you fast, you expend your TDEE. Universally, one pound of fat is 3500kcals.
(TDEE x average days fasted per week) / 3500 = lbs lost per week. Divide by 2.205 to convert to kilos.
TDEE CALCULATOR: tdeecalculator.net/

>Which fasting app do I use?
Install the free Life Fasting app and search John Boot in the circles tab to join the Any Forums group.

Keep fastin', user!

Attached: 1600184777636.png (633x335, 53.59K)

I bought transflag thigh high socks after finally admitting that I'm trans
Thanks keto for helping me come out!

Attached: 61vM96MvkNL._AC_UL1500_.jpg (669x1500, 51.42K)

Im gonna try keto OMAD —> 72 as I’ve been having trouble pushing past that 48hr. I’m abt to refeed on chili, eggs, and bacon

obese fuck 72 hours and can't tell if i'm hungry or not. feels weird bros

Eat something healthy, make a big salad with chicken or something

>first post shitposting
You monster
The star of david is a nice touch though

Attached: 1653134204106.jpg (499x378, 19.48K)

>tfw sharts/diarrhea

I'm on day 3 of this water fast and I feel very lethargic. Any tips?

Make sure you're getting le electrolytes. If you're working out at the same time, you're kinda crazy imo.

REMINDER:
>You CANNOT drink sugar free, diet, or any "zero" drinks during a fast.
Most of the popular drinks (diet or zero coke/pepsi, fanta, 7up, dr pepper, sprite) contain artificial sweeteners like Aspartame which can disrupt your gut biome and glucose metabolism and has a component called phenylalanine that interferes with autophagy, and Acesulfame K (Ace-K), which can spike insulin.

>You CANNOT chew sugar free gum.
Most of the popular sugar free gums (wrigley's extra, orbit, trident) contain the two artificial sweeteners above and sugar alcohols like Sorbitol and Mannitol which spike insulin.

>Can I still brush my teeth during a fast?
Yes you can and it is still encouraged to do so, however, most popular toothpastes (colgate, crest, sensodyne) contain artificial sweeteners such as Sucralose that can negatively effect glucose metabolism, and Saccharin which can effect glucose metabolism, disrupt gut bacteria and cause inflamation in the liver. And the sugar alcohol sorbitol which can spike insulin. Just don't swallow lots of it and you'll be fine. You can find natural toothpastes with no artificial sweeteners though if you're worried it may negatively impact your fast.

>What CAN I drink during a fast?
Plain water and snake juice are the only recommended drinks during a "proper" fast. You can drink them alongside each other but keep it to 1:1 or less or you'll flush the salts out faster than you can absorb them.
Black coffee/tea won't break a fast but will raise your caffeine level which can effect your cortisol levels so use at your own discretion. Green tea seems to be better as it is low(er) caffeine and has a component called L-Theanine that can help with reducing the negative effects of caffeine, promotes alertness and actually lowers cortisol.

Does vaping break fast?

What about vitamin D pills?

>What is cortisol?
Cortisol is a steroid hormone produced by the body that reacts when stress occurs to help you adapt to the stress. High cortisol for too long can force you into a constant state of stress that you're unable to turn off and can lead to anxiety and panic attacks because you're in a locked state of fight or flight. For some it may pass quickly, for others it can last for years.
High cortisol can contribute to memory loss and brain fog, muscle weakness and muscle decay, bone decay, rapid heart rate and high blood pressure. Cortisol helps regulate glucose and produce glucose from protein, fat, and ketones, so high cortisol can activate insulin and lead to weight gain and being unable to enter ketosis. It can wake you up in the night and can keep you from sleeping, and your body can't repair itself when it can't sleep. High cortisol turns off the immune system and inactivates the natural killer t-cell which kills viruses and cancer cells. High cortisol means lower immune system. Low cortisol helps with digestion and nutrient absorption.

>How do you regulate cortisol?
Regular exercise. Nature. Any de-stressing activity can help. For supplements, all of the following help - vitamin B1 and D3, Potassium, Magnesium, and apple cider vinegar all help to regulate cortisol and improve mood. You can also eat certain foods (vegetables mostly) to help with those vitamins. If you struggle with stress do your own research and find what works for you.

Artificial sweeteners may cause a rise in your insulin levels and kick you out of autophagy and ketosis but may not for the next person, so feel free to experiment with what works for you as it may vary from person to person, and from day to day in the same person.

I've not researched vape liquid specifically but I'll try and remember to over the next few days but if your liquid contains any artificial sweeteners it MAY break a fast but I can't reliably comment on what inhalation does as I've not researched it, or your specific flavour/brand. As for vitamin D pills or MOST supplements, you're fine user. Happy fasting.

>Does vaping break fast?
No, it just makes you degenerate.
>What about vitamin D pills?
Won't break your fast, but also won't do much good on an empty stomach. Fat soluble vitamins need to be taken with food to be absorbed properly. It's also unnecessary because your body fat has excess vitamin D stored in it which will release back into your body anyway.

Thanks

just hit my 48th hour. Going to go to the gym and do some cardio and maybe push for another 24

max time fasted?
goal time?
goal weight?

5 days
7 days
160lbs

good work user

Don't think so

>feel tired during fast
>want to drink caffeine
>don't want to drink too much diet soda
>can't stand black coffee
Any suggestions?

You can outrun the fan. Outlifting it has other consequences.

Drink black tea.