My friend at the gym today said that olympic lifters are weak because they focus on technique more than strength...

my friend at the gym today said that olympic lifters are weak because they focus on technique more than strength, is he right?
he said that powerlifters and strongmen are stronger than weightlifters because they focus on strength more than technique

Attached: 3872.jpg (1200x720, 81.45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

liftingcast.com/meets/m9xg0b5txb0f/results
youtu.be/mqYbGZeTz_g?t=374
instagram.com/p/Ca77b4OpC5L/
youtu.be/nLVJTBZtiuw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He's mostly correct but a lot of high level Weightlifters are still crazy strong, especially in the legs. Toshiki Yamamoto did 285/142.5/282.5 in a Powerlifting meet, and despite his weak bench the 710kg total was enough for first in his weight class.
Most amateur Weightlifters are so late to the game that they have to focus on technique for a rather long time before they can become crazy strong, but desu the satisfaction of throwing more than your bodyweight overhead is so satisfying that being weaker than someone pulling sumo and squatting low bar doesn't phase me

PL is a sport where total force production is key. Weightlifting is a sport where rate of force production is key. Both sports require technique but WL is much more technique heavy. All things equal, a powerlifter is stronger and a weightlifter is more athletic. Source: trained both

>that WEIGHTlifters are weak because they focus on technique more than strength
FTFY
to a degree. your average kid doing weightlifting movements its general true. it isn't true for people that make it to the world games compared to your average gymbro, bodybuilder, powerlifter, or strongman
>powerlifters and strongmen are stronger than
like above, depends on the level. eddie hall was statically stronger than any weightlifter that has lived. peak weightlifting lasha may not even pull 400kg, but thats because specificity matters for weightlifting. doing a slow 400kg pull is actually detrimental to his technique. so, in a way he's right, but only at the extremes.

>Toshiki Yamamoto did 285/142.5/282.5 in a Powerlifting meet, and despite his weak bench the 710kg total was enough for first in his weight class.
only in the Japanese meet he did. it would be second to last place for a 90kg lifter (he lifter at 93kg) at USAPL nationals out of the 24 lifters there
liftingcast.com/meets/m9xg0b5txb0f/results

damn...

Basically this.
Most hobbyist weightlifters will be weak as shit in terms of general strength. In terms of the weightlifting movements though, they might be considered strong. Like a powershitter might think he can "snatch" 60kg but I can guarantee you he'll dislocated his shoulders trying, that's if he can hit the positions at all.

If I remember correctly, yeah toshikis squat wasn't the biggest in the world but I think he broke the JAP national record with his opener.
Another one of my favorite weightlifting freaks of nature is Boyanka Kostova. I think she front squatted the squat WR in her weight class and the weight class above in the IPF. Yeah she was roided to the gills but you're telling me the other guys in the IPF aren't? Kek.

Tell your friend that he is a retard. Performing elite-level Oly lifts requires a tremendous amount of strength. Ask any powershitter to front squat 2.5x their bodyweight and they can't. While Oly lifters lack pec strength in comparison to powerlifters, they do have superior upper back, shoulder and quad strength. Most world-class 109 kg and 109 kg+ weightlifters can strict press 150 kg+ (which powerlifters can't), so to say that they are weak is retarded. They are simply stronger in different areas than powerlifters

their strength is too specific to be useful, they are impractical

>"snatch" 60kg
Any decently strong powerlifter who deadlifts 5pl8+ and benches 3pl8+ would muscle snatch 60kg with ease.

>Ask any powershitter to front squat
The heaviest front squat of all time is done by a powershitter
>Most world-class 109 kg and 109 kg+ weightlifters can strict press 150 kg+ (which powerlifters can't)
There are over 400 powerlifters u105kg alone who can paused bench 5pl8+. You're telling me there aren't thousands of heavyweight powershitters who can't strict press 150+? lmao
youtu.be/mqYbGZeTz_g?t=374
instagram.com/p/Ca77b4OpC5L/

Attached: Jezza Uepa - 405Kg 893Lbs Front Squat.webm (576x720, 2.92M)

Most throwers do Olympic stuff to be explosive and powerful. I would think powerlifting strength would be just as impractical

>youtu.be/nLVJTBZtiuw
You got your answer
Every time boasting about shit form and half reps

your friend is using nuance to cope

All high level weightlifters are incredibly strong and able to use that strength at inedible speed (resulting in incredible power).

Let us know what your friend's best snatch is, or even his best overhead squat. I bet he hasn't even fucking tried

Attached: mq2lmt3flyk41.jpg (1242x793, 76.75K)

weightlifters aren't weak, they just train different movements
the oly larper's manifesto
it's bizarre to identify yourself with weightlifters just because you squat high bar in an imaginary battle against equipped boomers who have not been relevant for 20 years

Attached: 1643485731065.webm (800x800, 2.04M)

well yea of course the most roided out guys in the olympics are gonna be strong, most weight lifters are still weak because 90% of their training is doing technique with an empty bar lol...

Your friend is coping.
Obviously powerlifters and strongmen have more raw strength because that's literally what they train for. Weightlifter train to get stronger at snatch and clean & jerk, nothing else.

Cope

I love how all the fags in this thread are using elite-level people as an example instead of the average to above-average gym-goer.

>owerlifter is stronger and a weightlifter is more athleti
neither of them are athletic at all, outside the weight room both are useless unless they played a sport before getting into strength training

yeah thats pretty much how the oly memer thinks, compare hobbyist powershitters to top tier oly lifters and they'll always look stronger

Dunning Kruger nigger. That's you

bulked up bodybuilders & strongmen can be pretty useful
lean bodybuilders are useless because they're weak and have no energy, powerlifters are useless because they're extremely unathletic & stiff (too focused on SBD), and weightlifters are weak because they're generally weak since they basically only do two obscure lifts that rely mostly on technique
t. worked few years in construction
don't underestimate the strength of a chubby laborer, dudes are hench