Running Help

Need some running advice. My run time has not budged and I am losing confidence in my running, stuck at 30-31 at 5km. My legs become stiff quickly so running faster is very, very hard. A build up of lactic acid in my quads is what it feels likr.

I heel strike and my quads are the muscles aching after running. Should I switch to mid strike?

I run twice a week 5.5km and have done so for about a month but returned to running 5 months ago after a year long injury.

Any advice?

Attached: Sore-Quads.jpg (967x813, 109.66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_MYg286_pbg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

why the fuck are you heel striking? you're meant to be striking with ur forefoot

Cause it is the running style which feels natural for me. Why? Is it cobsidered the worst?

Bump

you need to be running at least 4 days a week with one of your runs at 10 km

Jesus that is intense and much heavier than I am doing. Is 3 not feasible? Two 5.5km and 1 10k?

Because running is already high impact. There’s no reason to make it higher impact with poor form.

Asking why you should midfoot strike is like asking why should your back remain straight when squatting.

Your legs are just too weak to run with good form. Work squats and monkey feet (shin isolation), calf raises, Romanian deadlifts, and lunges into your routine. Also don’t be a retard and squat in your running shoes.

A big portion of sports injuries are caused by people being too weak to have good form. And you need to work on building up your weak feet.

Also, how old are you? What’s your diet like? Are you fat? 31 minutes is really slow. I ran 10k in 55m when I was 13, and I was a heavyset kid who has no natural talent.

Have you tried shaking up your routine? Sprint work, hills? Are you resting enough? If your routine is too hard on your muscles you can substitute with cycling or swimming.

I was never a great runner, and never did massive volume. However, I’d find the steepest fucking hill in London and do hill reps for 45 minutes 2-3 times a week.

This was enough to run a mile in 5:15, nothing phenomenal by running standards, but I was happy with it as a 90kg guy.

It’s not intense. It’s 3 hours a week of cardio.

However you don’t need to run 4 times a week if you can’t handle it. Go to the gym and use things like the stair master for a cardio machine that crosses over to running quite well.

not op but i have been running and walking a lot and the fronts of my feet (just behind the big toe on both feet) have been hurting, not enough to stop me but any ideas what i'm doing wrong? could it be my shoes or the surface i'm running on?

stop heel striking phaggot. try running on a treadmill.it's easier on your joints and it's a good form check. if your form is good you shouldn't hear your feet striking the machine.. if you want to run for speed you have to spend a lot more time on your feet. you can't halfass it unless you're talented (you're not). If you just want cardio and weightloss, then it doesn't matter how slow you are anyway.

3 is the absolute bare minimum. i recommended 4 bc it still gives you 3 recovery days and will get u there faster than 3 days a week

How fast should you be going when running? For cardio I "run" at a 13:00 mile pace for an hour and that's gets me nice and out of breath by the end, but it seems pretty slow.

slow down, reduce distance, and rebuild.
reduce speed by ~20% (so go 8km/h not 10km/h)
reduce distance by ~20% (so go 4km or maybe a little more)
when you run, your focus is now efficiency of stride and feeling little to no pain. if you feel the desire to speed up while you're running it means you accessed a little more energy. don't use that energy to speed up. use it to focus on efficiency of stride. it is mentally/emotionally very difficult to intentionally run relatively slowly and this may require some ego work.
when i say efficiency of stride, there is no one size fits all prescription. i haven't seen you run. you'll know it when you feel it, so experiment and adapt. the more you run with intention the better you will get at this.
every week increase your total distance by 10%, but keep your speed constant and relatively slow.
after a few weeks, you can add a third day and reduce the distance of each run back down to where you started (this keeps the total weekly kms constant but gives you more running instances). good to do this at least one more time (for 4 weekly runs) and up to three (for 6 weekly runs). for more than that you should look into a running coach. when you have more runs, weekly distance increases can then be spread out more (see )
very important though is to run more slowly and increase distance by at most 10% per week. this stuff takes time. your best friends are consistency, perseverance, and self-awareness.
after a few months of this, try running a 5k for time. you'll have run no faster than 8km/h in training, but you'll blow your previous time away.

also:
you will discover your own striking pattern. do not try to strike in any particular way. keep your cadence high and this will come naturally.
this is great advice, but you cannot start there. increase total weekly distance by no more than 10% per week
your legs will get worked out and worked into proper form if you run more slowly.

>I heel strike
Heel striking is bad, but not awful. The issue is it usually accompanies overstriding. Your point of contact needs to fall under or behind your hips, not in front. If you have "modern" running shoes with a thick plushy cushioned heel, ditch them for a lower drop, shorten your stride, and ideally switch to forefoot running.

>I run twice a week 5.5km
11km a week is not enough distance to see meaningful improvement. It should be enough to break a 30 minute 5k though...

Fix your form, run more.

>try running on a treadmill.it's easier on your joints and it's a good form check.

Treadmill technique varies a lot from road technique because you don't actually have to push yourself forward. I would advise against treadmill running in just about every circumstance.

How fast you go depends on your fitness level. That's like asking how much weight I should use when I'm bench pressing.

In general, you should train a bit slower than your race pace for more distance. For fast 5ks, you need to do speed work and intervals as well.

fake news

youtube.com/watch?v=_MYg286_pbg

I think this has been deboonked mate. The main differences AFAIK are wind resistance, which is typically overstated. Like 6-7 minute miles compares outdoor windless conditions at 1%. Running faster you need to adjust more and any slower 0.5% is just fine. the other difference is a lack of microadjustments to pace which can lock you into a rigid cadence. This can lead to bad form and an overall uncomfortable experience but still 90% as good as running outdoors and 100% better than doing nothing.

Picture me chasing you.

Cardarine.

I am super skinny at 43kg. My main issue is two fold: Bad lungs from prematurity and also poor form as I generally "stomp" with my feet.

Thanks for the advice mind. I am running to also help my boxing endurance.

I also considered the bike machine.

One of the reasons I heel strike is because a year ago i fore struck and it kept tearing up my knees which i assume was bad form. When i tried to heel strike, knee pain vanished but i will try to do as you say and rebuild. That is actually fairly solid so ta.

My other issue is as, since I travel far to and from work, i tend to have little time to spare. Also I box, for fitness, so i swap between run days and boxing days.