I'm thinking about getting into a martial arts. Am 21...

I'm thinking about getting into a martial arts. Am 21, have been working out for 5 years now but I want some combat skills. I'd like something that takes the opponent out quickly or do a lot of damage so I don't have to worry if someone picks a fight with me. I've done wrestling for a semester but that's basically all the experience I have since COVID meant I had to take a year off

Attached: facebook_1648426750172_6914002911954190045-1.jpg (720x1085, 93.49K)

Bump

I should make a infographic about this, but here it goes:

> The best defense is distance. If you're far enough from your aggressor, he can't hurt you, even with a firearm. What's the chance of someone shooting with a pistol if you're 1 mile away from him?

> So, whenever it's possible you should get distance.

> If you find yourself in a scenario you can't get distance, and we're talking about self defense, then you should have a firearm. Ideally, rifle and pistol would be the best killer (pun intended) combination.

> If you cannot get a firearm, then some kind of knife, brass knuckle or any kind of handheld weapon.

> If you can't get distance and don't have a firearm nor any other weapon, only then we're talking about fighting.

> So, you have, basically, 3 parts of a weaponless fight: striking, grappling and takedowns.

> You should have these 3 components in your fighting portfolio, but sadly there's no fight style that covers them all. You will have to separate.

> Ideally, you should start grappling first. Why? It's how you will be able to get some distance. The idea isn't taking your aggressor to the ground. But getting out from him, and get some distance.

> In my opinion, the best grappling art, if you consider avaliability and efficiency is BJJ.

> It should take you around 6 months to be able to handle yourself with BJJ. After the blue belt, mostly you're getting into the sport BJJ territory

> For striking, you should start training boxing. It's the most simple of the striking arts, and a base for almost all the others.

> With BJJ + boxing, after a year of proper training, you're probably at the 99% percentile of self defense. If you have a concealed carry, you're probably almost as safe as someone can get without getting into schizo territory.

> After that, if you want to pursue more fight knowledge, you should work in your takedowns. Wrestling, judo and sambo are good options.

> Then, maybe Muay Thai. That will improve your striking power

do it, but just know it's going to be the hardest thing you've done in your life and there's a high likelihood of getting injured.

Wretling, judo, BJJ if they are good place that starts on their feet, boxing, kickboxing muay thai. There you go find one of the above thats nearby, cheap and has some people who occasionally compete.

Attached: 1611527472422.webm (640x360, 2.86M)

HEMA

Attached: Armored-Combat-1024x667.png (1024x667, 1.03M)

That's a kino mask

gunfu, also id suggest finding a school that you mesh with over obsessing about a particular style

I actually think getting into hema would unironically be super cool...

I'm nowhere near qualified to answer this, OP, but a general tips about hobbies is to go to the location and talk to some people, and most importantly to get a feeling for if you're going to come back even when you're stressed, or when the weather's shit, or there's some other excuse to just not go. You absolutely will have times when you want to just say "fuck it", and you have to choose your martial arts club with that in mind. If there is one close enough to you or your job that you can't reasonably say "fuck it" and not go, then that's an important argument for. The kyokushin you train every week for five years is better than the muay thai you train every other month for five years (or the equivalent, I don't know much about martial arts).

>probably the first documented weeb in history

Weeaboos first cropped up in the 1860s as Japan was forcibly opened up to world trade.
By 1872 there was already a word for it: Japonisme.

[forgot image]

Attached: Claude_Monet-Madame_Monet_en_costume_japonais.jpg (800x1317, 229.1K)

I've started doing it recently, it's a small local group but it's damn fun and interesting - the people seem pretty pleasant to since they're all history buffs in some form or another and are more proactive nerds, like myself

HEMA outside continental Europe is for fatties and troons. And you don't much look like a European to me.

Do muay thai, your wrestling base is probably enough to know takedown offense. Boxing is more specialized, but muay thai gives you good enough punching offense and defense to smash like 90% of people, plus a single thigh kick to someone who doesn't condition for kicks will basically cripple them, shits insane. Plus the thai clinch is great for just kneeing and elbowing people whole ragdolling them.

This image is great

>doesn't understand the term 'documented'

big oof

Van Gogh was literally publishing traced anime donusteel in the 1880s.

Attached: Title_page_Paris_Illustre_Le_Japon_vol_4_May_1886.jpg (285x390, 44.36K)

People who get into martial arts "in case someone picks a fight with them" are probably one of my biggest pet peeves. They never stick around too

The Martial arts, like Krav Maga, that advertise themselves as doing a lot of damage, are usually baloney. The ones that advertise themselves as being for self defense are also usually baloney.

Ironically the best way to do a lot of damage or defend yourself would just be normal sport martial arts like boxing. Martial arts where you can practice fighting against a resisting opponent are the ones you can improve in and get dangerous with.

Good ones:
Boxing
Mauy Thai
Wrestling
BJJ

Let me start with my credentials. Taekwondo black belt practicing for 10 years. If I were to pick up a new art I would go with muay thai or if I was insane Krav Maga. You could just train for MMA which basically takes all the good shit and sheds the spiritual discipline shit.

What's a better reason to get into martial arts? To pick fights with other people? To compete professionally?

Surely there's a middle ground between pro aspirations and a hobby.

>inb4 fighting for health; martial arts are not healthy

I've kinda wanted to build a modern set of armor for myself and forge an estoc or something and just be a modern monk-knight and hone my skills upinnamountain

haha b-but that would make me au-autistic or something haha...