How in shape do i have do be to start bjj?

how in shape do i have to be to start bjj? what exercises are good to do to train for it? any advice for newcomers to bjj, as in, things you wish you had been told about it before you started?

Attached: bjj.jpg (276x183, 10.88K)

not in shape at all

LISTEN TO ME AND LISTEN CLOSELY: DON'T GO IN FAT.

GET INTO DECENT SHAPE AND THEN START.

THEY WILL TELL YOU BJJ WILL "GET YOU IN SHAPE" BLAH BLAH BLAH.

FUCK THAT. YOU WILL STRUGGLE FOR MONTHS ON END UNTIL YOU ARE IN SHAPE.

TAKE MY WORD/ SAVE YOURSELF EMBARRASSMENT: GET IN SHAPE FIRST THEN START. YOU WILL PROGRESS QUICKER AND THE GIRLS IN THE CLASS WON'T LAUGH AT YOUR FAILED ROLLS AND BEING TIRED AFTER 2 MINUTE WARM UP.

Can you walk through the door and get on the mats? You're ready to start. You get in shape for it by being very bad at it, and doing it again. Ad infinitum.

you guys in a bjj class? how long should i give bjj a try for? i'm not sure if i can do it for life, but i should give it an honest try, right?

Don't be a spastic gym warrior trying to prove yourself during rolls, don't let your ego take precedence over safety and tap when needed, you'll prevent pointless injuries that way.

As often as you can physically/financially afford. If it's even a slightly reputable school, you'll find out quickly if it's for you if you're there a lot.

Ignore this defeatist faggot. Start training as soon as possible.

JUST PUT IT THIS WAY: I AM A BLACK BELT. THERE IS NOT NE BB I KNOW WHO DOESN'T HAVE PERMANENT AND LIFE LONG INJURIES.
I HAVE CONCLUDED IT'S A PUSSY SYSTEM THAT SPENDS TOO MUCH TIME FOCUSED ON "ROLLING" AND TOURNAMENTS.

TAKE SAMBO OR JUDO + BOXING.

BJJ IS ADDICTIVE AS FUCK BUT AS A HOBBY/SELF DEFENCE? YOU CAN DO BETTER.

LET ME GUESS? 2 STRIPE WHIT EBELT?

FUCK OFF NIGGER. ANYONE WHO IS PURPLE AND ABOVE IS RIDDLED WITH INJURIES.

that's good advice. no one wants to be seriously injured, but i'm sure people regret it after it's done.
how long have you done it for? any benefits to knowing bjj? lthanks a lot

You seem somwhat insecure. Don't set up limitations in your mind beforehand, just do it. You'll find out soon enough whether or not it's for you. Don't worry too much the majority of bjj practitioners are pretty chill and welcoming to newcomers

Purple belt riddled with injuries actually

for self defence, what would you recommend over bjj?

Not him, but almost all of mine healed up nicely for the past 10-12 years.

well, i've got reason to be. i just stopped smoking this week. for this reason, i'm going to go once my lungs improve. smoking really kills your breathing ability

A SAMBO SCHOOL THAT MIXES UP STRIKING. HARD TO FIND.

JUDO + BOXING.

BJJ FOR THE STREETS IS ALMOST TRASH.

I HAVE SEEN SOME BB FUCKED UP BY DECENT STREET FIGHTERS. ALL THAT TRAINING TO BE PUNCHED OUT BY SOME DRUNK NIGGER.....

anyone else share these opinions? it seems a good striker could take down bjj pretty quickly if he's good. i dunno though. for self defence flashing a gun seems to be a pretty good way to go, but i'd want actual fighting ability too.

>i dunno though. for self defence flashing a gun seems to be a pretty good way to go

YEAH...FLASH A GUN FOR SOME FUCKING SHARED WORDS?

IF YOU FLASH A GUN BE READY TO USE IT AND YOU SEEM LIKE A PUSSY SO MY GUESS YOU'LL BE SHOT...WITH YOUR OWN GUN.

One of the issues with bjj for self defence is that, while being well versed in bjj will generally lead to fights ending in your favor when it hits the ground, a lot of schools tend to not emphasise takedowns enough and focus instead on the ground fighting. So yeah if you find yourself in a situation where you're unable to take it to the ground you're probably fucked. It does excel at that one aspect of fighting but by no means is it a complete fighting system.

DOES IT EVEN GET PROMOTED AS A FIGHTING SYSTEM ANYMORE?

MOST SCHOOLS ARE HYPER FOCUSED N TOURNAMENTS NOWADAYS.