Objective proof on why The Rock is a terrible promo

From Jericho's book.

> I learned an important lesson—the first of three seminal moments in my promo development. I had done an interview about my first match with Bulldog and I was talking about how old and slow he was, just burying him. I thought it was pretty good, until I walked back to the dressing room and Bulldog stopped me in front of everyone. “What the hell are you doing? Yeah I’m old and everybody knows it. But I want you to think about this. If I beat you, and I WILL be beating you, then you just got beat by an old man. If you beat me, and you WILL NOT be beating me, then you just beat up an old man.

> If you talk about how much experience I have and then I cheat to beat you, then at least you got beaten by an experienced vet. And if you beat me, well fuck, then you just beat an experienced vet. The way it stands right now, you just pissed all over yourself. You look like a fool either way.” He walked away muttering to himself, and I realized he was right. The first big lesson I learned about promos (get out your pens, kids) was: “Never Totally Bury Your Opponent.” You can tell jokes and insult them all you want, but if you don’t build them up to some extent, you’re just burying yourself.

Two masters of their craft explaining what makes a good promo with solid irrefutable logic. And do you know what? The Rock absolutely fails by this metric. He was simply bad for business.

Attached: FuckEdrones.jpg (678x452, 22.43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6k_QYTaWe14
youtube.com/watch?v=aYF5lPZcGgo
youtube.com/watch?v=zdLj_ZOL_YM
youtube.com/watch?v=n1QrCFwYeZc
youtube.com/watch?v=e74wxxtlgI8
youtube.com/watch?v=wH4qV6LfmFI
youtu.be/JHKR84UKYSI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yea but jericho is a washed up skinny fat hack and the rock is the highest paid star in Hollywood and bigger than the entire aew roster

Not an argument dronie.

The thing is, after the Rock stopped being a workhorse around 03 I stopped considering him as a wrestler. His hollywood heel gimmick was kino but turned him into the surprise return uber-face which is just boring.

Jericho has always been a better promo, however the Rock back in the day was a shouty black samoan man for the dumb hicks, just as Steve Austin was their white pride skinhead country man

who drew the most money?

>wolfag going after the rock now because his antibryan shit flopped

Watching the AE during the time Rock got really over with his promos just tearing into his opponents and not putting them over at all, this is true (the undercard guys like Gangrel got it bad).

>Speak English when you speak to me. I don't speak German

Attached: 1626199144460.png (956x615, 833.63K)

This. And despite the revisionist history from WWE, Rock was never as over as Austin, and Rock benefitted greatly from Austin's regular absences due to injuries and surgeries, and of course his own too. But each time Rock would wear out his welcome before ducking out again to have another surgery or star in a movie or whatever, only to return in a few months to repeat the cycle. This never happened with Austin. The crowd always wanted more. There was never any equivalent to the "Die Rocky Die" chants while Austin was a face, nor any split reactions from the crowd (except when Austin was heel and the crowd still wanted to cheer him).

Rock has been a huge success in Hollywood. Good for him. But he was never as over as Austin and I'm tired of pretending he was just because he's a big movie star now. I don't give a fuck about Hollywood.

Every other week the Rock was creating a new catch phrase that would turn into a another t-shirt and would draw more dimes..

Lmao this. He was getting mixed reactions in 2000 and 2002 after his act went stale every few months.

That's good advice for a nobody midget like Jericho, but it doesn't apply to wrestlers like the Rock who are in a different league.

>He was simply bad for business.
You troons need to ask yourselves this. If he was bad for business, why did he lead the biggest boom period in wrestling?

There are no hard and fast rules in promos. Two most famous promos from the attitude era are Austin 3:16 and The Rock's god promo and both are absolute utter burials. The truth is there no hard and fast rules when it comes to promos. You can bury someone as much as you want if you can do it as entertainingly as The Rock. Why should anyone watch some wishy-washy "you're great my competitor" promos when they're not as 1/10th as entertaining as The Rock's?

Think of it this way, no selling is looked down upon but when you're a midcarder or even a main eventer and Hogan wants to win the match by Hulking up and no selling your offense, you say yes.

Does Arnold or John Wick "put over" some random mook in their films? Does their film suffer because of it? No.

Do you know what the funniest part in all of this is? Bulldog was probably bullshitting and did not mean this as genuine advice. He was probably upset Jericho made him look like a geek and instead of having a good counter promo of his own, he decided to "teach" this rookie a valuable lesson.

>Rock was never as over as Austin
Rock
>Top draw of all time. Set unbroken records in 2000
>was a bigger star than austin in his prime
>highest grossing hollywood actor in the world today
>drew the highest buyrate of all WMs at WM28
>despite being a beloved face, turned heel. got everyone against him showing how based he is
>never afraid of putting people over. put the fking hurricane over
>despite putting people over and helping build the business, was always in the main event picture

Stevetty
>jobber in WCW
>spent 4 years as a midcarder in WWE
>drew big in 1998. only really because Hogan and nWo created the right situation for him
>injury prone
>outdrawn by the Rock
>terrified of losing his spot. didn't do business with lesnar
>unlike Rock who was a GOAT heel or Hogan who changed the business with his heel turn, Stevetty's heel turn killed the attitude era
>sent back to the midcard to feud with the likes of Big Show and Scott Hall
>got worked so hard by Hogan and his new status as a midcarder that he took his ball and went home like a crybaby
>not recognizable at all today. has to leech off WWE and do podcasts to get paid. Even Cena is more well known

>1999, Rock surpassed austin
>Friday Night SmackDown, not Friday night bottomline
>2000, Rock set new annual PPV and house show records that are still unbroken.
>2000, austin out, Rock led WWE to record profits.
>2001, Rock left for Hollywood, austin led ratings to record decline
>2002, The biggest draw Rock got the match vs the biggest draw of the past Hogan. Drunk austin faced drunk Hall
>2011, WM27 Rock headlined as a fucking host, made over 1 Million buys. austin referee'd a Michael Cole match
>2012, WM28 Rock set the all time highest WWE PPV buys record

>Today, Rock is a legit Hollywood top guy. austin did flop direct-to-dvd flicks
>Rock = mainstream star. austin does podcasts
>Rock makes blockbusters. austin tries to re-live glory days by bringing his old bandaged carcass to stun 80 years olds KWAB

Attached: 67185-4932935RepFr.jpg (715x1000, 73.1K)

>But he was never as over as Austin and I'm tired of pretending he was just because he's a big movie star now. I don't give a fuck about Hollywood.

Rock was a bigger draw than simp cuck steve in the wrestling world.
WM13: steve led WWF to the lowest WM PPV buys
WM14: Tyson brought 700k buys
WM15: Rocky brought 800k buys
WM16: simp cuck out. Rocky brought 880 buys
WM18: simp cuck in midcard. Rocky brought 885k buys
WM26: No Rock, 600k buys
WM27: Rock back. 1M+ buys
WM28: Rock brought 1.3M buys

simpcuck steve was never as big a draw as Rock.

Attached: Shut up bitch.gif (404x378, 2.28M)

Rock killed the careers of Billy Gunn and Rikishi with his promos

Basically what MJF just did to the whole company

>Does Arnold or John Wick "put over" some random mook in their films? Does their film suffer because of it? No.
Exactly.
1) Why should a main eventer put over some undercard geek as a threat?
2) Why should a main ever need to put over another main eventer? They can comeback with their own mic skills.

Case in point: HHH and Austin were both shat on by The Rock. They did just fine. Austin constantly shat on The Rock in his promos. He did just fine as well. The Rock's promos only truly bury no talent shitters like Billy Gunn and Rikishi.

Stardom workers unironically need to read this. Their press conference promos make everyone look like shit. How no-one's told them this is beyond me.

WM match wins againts one another:
Steve: 2
Rock:1

Case and point, Stone Cold is and will always be better.

SHUT YOUR MOUTH YOU THONG WEARING FATTY!

youtube.com/watch?v=6k_QYTaWe14

youtube.com/watch?v=aYF5lPZcGgo

youtube.com/watch?v=zdLj_ZOL_YM

youtube.com/watch?v=n1QrCFwYeZc

youtube.com/watch?v=e74wxxtlgI8

youtube.com/watch?v=wH4qV6LfmFI

>killed the careers of Billy Gunn and Rikishi
Good. He did everyone a huge favor.

Would Austin have beaten him the second time without cheating though? We'll never know that. Although Austin was sick before their last match as well so again maybe Austin could have gone 3-0 over Rock.

Kek someone’s gyno is flairing up again

Attached: D8B7F70E-284A-40D7-AE3E-ED75B347924D.jpg (556x541, 54.8K)

did jericho ever realize that he was getting ribbed here?

they are women? its in their nature to be horible and overly impulsive

Rocketty needed Hollywood because his wrestling career died right after Austin left and stopped carrying him. Simple as

>Remain a midcarder for life because you mistook ribbing for advice.
Kek.

This
Besides if one promo can kill your career then you weren't that good to begin with. Rock cut blistering promos on everyone including Jericho, taker, Eddie, and Nash and they all survived.

Dwaynetty was a geek who literally hired a guy to write his promos for him

The Rock is the only one who can get away with burying his opponents completely because he’s such a unrelenting draw that people don’t care about his opponents at all anymore unless it’s Austin.
It’s also proof that people’s taste are truly shit because Rocky is a Hollywood bitch who sucked off all their producers and sucked off people in the government too. You can praise his wrestling career all you want but you can’t deny he’s a one dimensional actor and also like all other actors a mouthpiece and cocksleeve for the system.

First Undisputed WWF unified champion
>midcarder
HE'S THE KING OF YOUR WORLD.
BREAKS DOWN THE WALLS AROUND YOU NOW.

Attached: F3A72DB6-343F-405A-B3DE-17F59035E7C9.jpg (600x400, 35.6K)

Guys you’re falling into a Wolfcuck trap, he’s testing the waters for making Rocky his new target after Eddie and Bryan. He has already posted shit about how Rock was raped by Pat Patterson.

This is actually a bait to show Jericho's conventional wisdom is retarded and you shouldn't take promo advice from anti-draws.

>why did he lead the biggest boom period in wrestling?

He didn't. Austin did. The hottest feud of the period was Austin vs McMahon. Rock got the superman push from Vince and he would still get a mixed reaction and "Die Rocky Die" chants. WWE does their best to bury this too since Rock is now a movie star and they actually do need him back and have for years. If Austin had been in good health and never had to cut way back on his work because of it, and retire early, then the Rock would have been stuck in the upper midcard.

Oh, and Hulk Hogan was far more over than Rock ever was, and he drew the house at X-8, as proven by the crowd turning completely on a face Rock so they could cheer a heel Hogan.

Jericho unironically drew me to AEW as Le Champion from 19-20

Retard. Rock showed the right way to do it. Jericho should have stuck to his instincts, then maybe he would have been as over in 02/03 as he was in 00/01.

im onto you fucker. but i also enjoy most of the shitposting so I'm not going to do anything about it, implying I could anyway.

>He didn't. Austin did.
Austin did it along with The Rock and when Austin was out injured, he was setting record house show numbers and shirt sales.
>Oh, and Hulk Hogan was far more over than Rock ever was, and he drew the house at X-8.
You should rewatch the match. They got duelling chants although you could argue Hogan's was louder. Big returns always get positive receptions due to nostalgia and considering it's Hogan's return to WWE, It's no surprise he was popular. Like with everything involving Hogan it also fizzled out.

Heel King of my World Jericho in 02 was kino and there's nothing you can say to change that
youtu.be/JHKR84UKYSI

what a disaster

>First Undisputed WWF unified champion
>spends the next 3 months cleaning up dog poop before jobbing back to the midcard

Attached: 1645723039263.jpg (460x479, 136.1K)