Why are Bethesda the only ones who put dungeons in their open worlds?

Its kind of crazy when you realize no one else does this. Maybe thats why their games have so much appeal

Attached: skyrim-mod-dungeons-revisited-overhaul.jpg (1920x1080, 410.66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/vWF3IDk9Gek?t=913
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Are there dungeons in the real world?

It's mind boggling to think that despite "open world" games being more popular now than ever, basically none of them even try to be half as ambitious as even morrowind. Looking back it, it's very clear that innovation in videogames has absolutely stangated over the last decade.

Guess I'm the crazy one, but I never liked the dungeons much. Maybe it's just the way Bethesda designs or their engine works, but they always feel like stitched-together prefab mazes rather than believable places compared to the rest of the game world. Same goes for Fallout and even New Vegas does this but not nearly as much.

Elden Ring did

As much shit as bethsoft games get here, there's a reason they are so beloved in gaming canon. They capture a magic that many developers fail to replicate.

Witcher 2 and 3 did it

Bethesda games are, in essence, dungeon crawlers where you can choose your playstyle with the ability to roleplay tacked on.

You aren’t going to enjoy Bethesda games if you don’t enjoy navigating hostile environments.

Witcher 2 wasn't an open world and Witcher 3 didn't have that many, mostly just little caves and most of its landmarks were exterior.

you're a retard

>but they always feel like stitched-together prefab mazes
That's every game. Devs have known since since id made Doom and originally their levels were basically just real world locations and they discovered real world locations fucking suck as video game level design.

>stitched-together prefab mazes
They definitely arr, its really evident in oblivion and skyrim. Sometimes they do gimmicks like having rotating stones to reveal the puzzle answer, but overall the halls in crypts or caves repeat constantly, reminds me of that 2016 doom map editor where you have room tiles you could connect to make maps

>reminds me of that 2016 doom map editor where you have room tiles you could connect to make maps
It's not quite that bad in Skyrim. Prefab entire rooms was how Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion was done but for Skyrim it's things like wall, floor, ceiling, etc. sections slotted together in many different ways and then CLUTTER CLUTTER CLUTTER to make it feel different. With Fallout 4 they did a change to the way their game works, the precombine system, allowing them much more versatility in their kits so there's a lot less repetition in that game.

if skyrim tombs count as dungeons then there's no reason elden ring tombs shouldn't

It's why even though people give BGS a lot of grief, people will still buy and play Todd's game.

depends in america theres shine/weed farms in the appalache mountains and people will kill you, loot you and bury your body. Then theres always the rumors of stashed cashed in heavly populated areas either gangs making drops or someone prepping for when they need to run from the cops. LA and New York are popular for this there are still stashes of old cash being found from the prohibition era from people stashing what they can before they got caught then dying in prison or making so many they forgot about them and so they are never found.
youtu.be/vWF3IDk9Gek?t=913
watch out for the mole people tho

Attached: 1660347696091451.jpg (720x960, 119.23K)

dragon's dogma, numbnuts. there are a lot of examples of games that have open worlds and dungeonms

Objectively yes
>ToT

Attached: 20220915_221036.jpg (1076x295, 66.61K)

I think OP was referring to the fact that TES games have like 100 dungeons and most of them are not quest related which is not a common thing in video games at all. DD definitely doesn't have that.

>loading between "open world" and dungeon
>linear as fuck and always loop on themselves
>some dungeons are copy pasted
shit tier

Watch a documentary bro

There are definitely using premade rooms tho, the halls where you use the dragon claws, the circular rooms, the throne rooms with bosses on the top, big room with wodden stairs and holes on the wodden wall, the room where you have a bunch of sneaky draugr napping. I will admit Oblivions rooms where INCREDIBLY obvious with the copy paste, but skyrim crypts reuse a ton of assets.

Dragon's Dogma did.

Because every dungeon in Skyrim or Oblivion was the exact same room, they feel like they're randomized at times.

>Zoomer education

Attached: 1662596151190647.jpg (306x306, 22.71K)