Was virtual boy ahead of its time?

was virtual boy ahead of its time?

Attached: portable-nintendo-virtual-boy-video-game-console.jpg (960x700, 117.92K)

it was just 3d, it wasn't virtual as we know it today, I'm pretty sure it didn't make things look life size, it just made it 3d, and I don't understand why red, what was up with that?

In concept perhaps, but not in execution.

That thing scares the shit out of me. It........made you see things.

It wasn't even 3D, it was layered 2D, it didn't have volume.
I thought emulating it wouldn't trigger the headaches, but it does, one of those things you don't want to remember.

>Wasn't 3D
Most weren't but Red Alarm was wireframe 3D which was stereoscopic.

it was kino

do emulators for it work? i wanna play its wario land game soon

>the red
Hardware limitations and used for the 3D effect. My local Target had a demo unit briefly that I tried. It was taken down in less than a week because of people complaining of side effects.
>t.oldfag

Yeah, I think the windows one is called red dragon, you can also emulate it on VR for the stereoscopic effect, the Quest 2 has a stand alone emulator

Design is bad and dont like how it makes your eyes sting

Would still probably play it just might not buy

Really? like what?

Theres also a 3DS emulator with 3D effect.

Everything just looks fucking red with shadowy blacks that swirl around everywhere that make strange shapes. I think it messes with your perception of shadows. As I said in a previous post my local Target had one on demo and quickly took it down because of complaints.

Supposedly it's quite powerful, so yeah maybe

Wasn't it red to drive prices down?

If you have a Quest, definitely get that emulator. It's a better-than-authentic experience.

I still have mine, the stand eventually broke after a few years meaning I had to stack books on a desk just to play it or lay on my back with the head sitting on my face. It was pretty alright and the games were fun. Only thing I really hated it was the controller and how the power supply was attached to it. If your hand holding the controller slipped, it would disconnect the power cutting off the system. There were 2 ways to power the thing, either by cord in an outlet or a battery pack and the battery pack ate like 6 AA batteries. I think I even remember seeing cigarette lighter attachments where you could play it in a car.

In a way I kind of miss how much of a monstrosity some console system were.

Attached: 1647239268033.jpg (1024x588, 67.07K)

I still got mine too, but I used the SNES adapter.

Yeah, after WW3 the remaining population would really enjoy the level of entertainment a virtual boy provides, it'll be better than anything available

It was pretty fun but also a bit jank, like imagine watching a 3D movie (which is some pseudo 3D) but have it be a video game.

It was definitely really novel for the time but there were significant shortcomings (which I lack the expertise to be able to articulate but nevertheless experienced) that made it pretty uncomfortable to game for long periods.
Also the games were pretty limited, not just the red and black aspect, but also that they all had to be like side scrollers or parallax or whatever

Nope. 3D was tried many times before including in the 80s and the 50s just not with video games of course in the 50s, but there were a few games in the 80s meant to work with 3D glasses.

Only think it was ahead one was showing the dumbshit Nintendo would continue to do, but get by with because they hold some good IPs.