As someone that has a background in fighting games (played practically every fighter you can name Street Fighter...

As someone that has a background in fighting games (played practically every fighter you can name Street Fighter, Tekken, all worthwhile anime fighters, KOF, and every kusoge worth mentioning in Fightcade), after playing Smash esque games like Multiversus, Nick, Brawlhalla, and Melee itself on Slippi Smash is honestly a lot more fun than fighting games.

Smash unironically ruined fighting games for me and I'm going to buy a switch for ultimate. Combos are lot more dynamic and you don't just sit getting stuck but even getting combod also requires participation from the one getting combod as well cause you have to DI. Ledgeguarding has nothing liek that in Fighting games. Strive has a wallbreak but it's pretty shitty, they could have done more with it. I know get why Smashers think Fighting games are "stiff". Smashchads, I kneel.

Attached: 81bH3+DbvNL._SL1500_.jpg (927x1500, 267.09K)

smash is not a fighting game, it's a platform mascot fighter

Isn't that still a fighting game?

kookily ass bait thread. you dont understand how any of those games work lil nigga

Ultimate is pretty ass and the netcode is fucking terrible, if you liked Melee then stick on it because Ultimate or even Brawl and 4 play and feel different from it.
You could also try Project Plus which is a Smash Bros. Brawl mod that implements Melee's mechanics into the game and other things.

It looks like bait but I swear I'm not. I have been playing fighting games my entire life and after playing Smash esque games the past year (started with NASB) I really do get why people call fighting games stiff. Trying to go back to SF4 for example afterwards feels horrendous. The movement is a lot more dynamic than even airdashers and like I said being able to DI out of combos makes the game feel a lot more interactive. Anime games understand this which is why they have bursts.

The ledge guard thing is true too, it makes it so that you really have to EARN your kill and someone whos really skilled can pretty much TOD someone if they vastly outplay the other player but if the other player is a lot worse they can't do that. So depending on the skill level it can range from feeling like you have to play neutral like SF to it being a marvel a TOD fest.

Fighting games have nothing like the ledge guard mechanic, the wallbreak could have been more interesting but it's pretty shit. Oh there's ring outs actually in Soul Calibur but that doesn't have a fraction of the depth as ledge guarding does in platform fighters.

>Smash Ultimate
>Combos

Attached: 1660037016591.png (1080x1080, 727.39K)

Is there something I should know about? I don't have it yet but it looks fun and the roster is ace.

It's less about mastering inputs and combos and more about a fast-paced sumo wrestling where playing to character strengths and matchups as well as fundamentals are really important.

Tbh I like that a lot and it entices me to get it even more now.

I understand, but I feel like a game shouldn't be solely judged on its online.
How did Nintendo drop the ball here? Why didn't they do dedicated servers during the pandemic?

Why not play KI then
Internal midcombo mindgames is the defining feature of that series, even more than Smash

I'm going back to fighters via JOJO, and I agree. It does feel stiff.
I found myself mashing more too. I'm thinking that the genres have diverged enough. Platform fighter is a good term for smash and the like.

It can be pretty fun. Learning matchups is integral to getting good. Unfortunately for that, the roster is retardedly diverse and large. Given the massive disparities between characters, a lot of things might feel like bullshit but there are usually answers for those things. Translating video game characters from dramatically different genres can do that. I'd also avoid talking about Smash with the FGC unless you want a hardcore sanity check. It isn't 'really' a fighting game.

>He's going to play ultimate online
Enjoy hell. I love spirit mode but the online in ultimate is dogshit

You can knock it, but there are combos.
There just aren't as many developer defined combos and less things such as "light medium heavy"

Im not just talking about the netcode, Ultimate in general feels like shit to play, I'm not even a Meleefag but Ultimate's movement feels absolutely sluggish and the build-in input lag makes it feel even worse.
Not to mention most of the roster (specially the cancerous DLC characters) are really obnoxious to deal with to the point I felt no reward when winning and feel really frustrated after losing (something that doesnt happen to me usually when playing other 1v1 fighters).

FGC friendos just wanted to gate keep.
The fact that a game of smash ultimate is 10x more enjoyable to watch than Street Fighter 5, says a lot.
I miss the days of Street Fighter 4 bros. Take me home.

Just saw this. Is Project Plus still alive, I know it was formerly Project M or something. I'd be down to stick with Melee but man it's pretty brutal in terms of execution but it's very fun though.

Spam is not new to fighting games, my dude. And there will ALWAYS be shit characters and cheese tactics.

Can you expand on why you think that there's "built-in" lag?

>fighter