Is there any point to making an indie game based on an existing game that already failed financially

Is there any point to making an indie game based on an existing game that already failed financially

Attached: hd.png (596x599, 395.63K)

True, but you know.... Undertale was wildly successful

And nobody who copies it understood why it was successful

who copied it

Undertale's success is entirely unrelated to the actual game and is pretty much exclusively attributable to external factors

Every faggot who attempted an indie RPG after the year 2015

so you can be talked about forever by people who don't actually play games but want to fuck your big titty non-binary squidgendered secondary protagonist and literally just Kefka in different clown makeup villain.

>pretty much exclusively attributable to external factors
And what would that be

Which are?

Earthbound was just as successful as any JRPG at the time, the revisionist history that it's a game that flopped and didn't sell was made up by people trying to jack up the price of used copies

wrong

youtube/twitch, same as everything else

An inhuman amount of shills inherited from Homestuck, many of which are here, for example if I were to bring up the fact Toby donated to BLM and called on his million twitter followers to do the same, soon there'll be a small army of them here claiming how that's based in fact

retarded answer that doesnt even make sense

Attached: 1583792872954.jpg (332x530, 28.5K)

what are these earthbound inspired games i keep hearing about

>game was successful because it had a small cult following to prop up the game's launch
many games have that and dont get the success undertale got

Have you SEEN the indie video game industry in the last 5 years?

what made it successful?

I havent seen any undertale clones
list them

No it was not, it was being outsold by JRPGs that didn't even leave Japan and it had a $2 million marketing budget which is huge for the time.

>Homestuck
>small cult following
haha no, these vermin make up the majority of the most active users on most non-Facebook social media

>I only care about money
Yes, give up immediately (not that you had any progress or projects in the first place)

Earthbound sold over 1M on the virtual console at least.
What? UT got popular of off things like its writing and music, which are absolutely tied to the game. I'm assuming you're implying something like Toby Fox's past work on homestuck is what made it popular but if that really were the case, Mighty No 9 should have sold a morbillion if 'external factors unrelated to the game' are all you need to make sales.