Ray Tracing

For those who've played with it, is it a gimmick or worth it?

Attached: 1632215087-79542.jpg (1280x720, 209.28K)

>is a 40% hit to framerate for some reflections worth it

on 3080 here and it very much depends on how well the developers used it.
ray traced ambient occlusion makes a big difference and has low performance impact.
ray traced reflections in puddles, floors and other surfaces have big performance impact and i swear they often look worse than other techniques because ray tracing often ends up looking like sandpaper even on highest settings.
ray traced god rays or whatever are literally who cares tier.

i could show you the difference in ray traced surfaces and how bad it looks if you want.

It's just Hairworks all over again.
>looks neat
>doesn't add anything to gameplay
>eats fps like chrome eats ram

The animations still look janky ass fuck, and there's still dublicate NPCs all over the place, so what's the use? The game itself just doesn't look very polished.

OP is being idle chud. here's the good side of RT.

Attached: 1655438758720.jpg (1920x1440, 535.88K)

>literally the same but with high color contrast
lmao

and here's the poop side

Attached: 1640556952689.jpg (2560x2160, 1.03M)

It can look pretty nice, transparent reflective surfaces like windows in particular look really good

>i could show you the difference in ray traced surfaces and how bad it looks if you want.
not OP, but please do

I'm curious too. better reply or I'm telling everyone that you're a poop head

Literally no difference

fellas look above. the hitman post shows that quite well.

it adds a lot of depth. check under the vehicles, pallets, canisters, ceiling.

It is in CP2077. It really depends on the game and is hit or miss.

depends on the game. in Control, Metro Exodus and Cyberpunk? absolutely worth it. in nuHitman? absolutely not.

Did they really desaturate the left image?

it enhances the mood on some games like soiberpunk, control and tokyo ghostwire but the performance hit is so heavy that it's basically useless if you have a high refresh rate monitor. most of other games just tackle it on and put fancy reflections only though.

Here's RT off/on in CP (1080)

Attached: Screenshot 2022-09-14 123124-RToffon.png (1784x510, 1.65M)

its kind of worth it, but what i dislike is how devs are hard pushed to shill it they are forced to nerf pre existing techniques to make rt look better than it actually is, pretend cubemaps never existed and push other actually bullshit technologies alongside rt, like TAA and SSR wich are actually cancer

Attached: rek26dx1yyk81.png (1366x768, 1.13M)

cyberpunk does it well but its damn near unplayable with it on, i get 70-90 fps on high without it, i get 25-40 with it on, its not worth it but it looks amazing in cyberpunk, some scenes and some models who have reflection just look a million times better, and night time strolls in night city look like a masterpiece. all in all, not worth the hit, but great for screen shots unless you have dual 3080's and can get 60fps or higher consistently and never drop.

its not worth it
all real time lighting solutions will look worse than prebaked for obvious reasons
level design isn't made with "real" light in mind
you're living in a cursed period of game development where garbage is getting released that looks worse than 10 year old games but runs way worse.

Desperate

rtx cards are not worth it for raytracing
they're worth it for AI use

The technology itself: yes
With the graphics cards, and the performance hit: No