What happened to Phone Games?

Video game apps for smartphones used to have the biggest hold on our culture in the early 2010s. Where is the cultural zeitgeist for them now?

Attached: 987EE36F-A95F-467B-87DD-58F2DA5461FF.jpg (998x665, 146.8K)

GUYS DONT DELETE FLAPPY BIRD! YOU CANT GET IT BACK!

Attached: 1661159437250365.jpg (204x248, 5.24K)

Why play a game when you can doomscroll Tik Tok?

I'm still seething for what happened to Angry Birds
It's incredible the PSV version is the only decent one left to play

Mobile games in the late 00s/early 10s:
>Filling a similar niche to flash
>Small and snappy, quick and cheap
>A good way for small devs to get their name out there and brands to make some shitty tie-ins and cash grabs
>Competing with social media that has not yet achieved singularity
Mobile games now:
>Comprised entirely of scammers and cashgrabs
>Optimized around taking 100% of a player's time despite minimal gameplay depth
>Small devs can still make them but they receive no publicity
>Competing with social media that has achieved singularity

Gacha became the more profitable business model. The only 2010 phone games left are no name match 3 types that soccer moms love to play on the down time

as a zoomer who grew up playing mobile games just as much as consoles (i know how sad) they were still pretty bad with the microtransactions and pay-to-win shit and overall had a pretty bad impact on the industry i feel
still better than the literal ad simulators of today of course

We reached the point where phone games aren't much different from console games and so that culture got lost.

All the "quality" games moved to apple arcade.

Playing The Legend of Neverland right now while I work in the other monitor.

Turn this on for the best mobile gaming experience.

Attached: regend.png (1600x900, 650.53K)

Were you in middle school in the early 2010s? You think Plants vs Zombies had a bigger impact than Genshin?

I still play Pokemon Go (when I walk my dog), Pokemon Masters EX and Mario Kart Tour (I like getting combos)

In app purchases basically took over and ruined it. Now you’re lucky to get a halfway decent game released here on the phone now

what are you on about phone games are by far the most popular games and have completely ruined online gaming in general

PvZ had a hold on normally non-gamers whereas genshin is for weeab losers

came here to post this
phone games are an unregulated graveyard, they need a quarantine for the garbage

Because they felt different and smartphones were new to people as a control method. It was oooh lookie I'm tilting my phone to control this doodle jump guy. Oooh lookie this old bloons tower defence flash game I used to play is an app on my phone now. Wow I'm sliding my finger across the screen to cut this fruit and it's actually working!

Old news now. Gimmick wore off. It's just the Wii, nobody wants to use that controller shit now and struggle to navigate the fucking menu. Novelty isn't there. Traditional gaming methods always reign supreme.

VR is the current fad. As much as the VR connoisseurs will bitch and cry NO IT ISN'T!!1! It's just in a longer form.

I actually wish more games were ported to android so I could play them natively on my handheld chinese emulator.

Games are plagued with time gating and microtransactions. There are very few actually quality games on mobile, outside of using it for puzzles.

absolutely

Genshin Impact is nothing to you?

>Mobile games in the late 00s/early 10s:
Anyone remember that mobile game around maybe 2004 during the early touch screen era? You have units (was it villager or farmer?) then when you stack them on each other they become a tier higher until they become a knight. Don't remember much but I think it was a civ-like in a sense that you're playing on hexagons or whatever basic shaped tiles, probably taking castles for resources.