Was Star Wars really popular enough in the 1990s to be a system seller?

Was Star Wars really popular enough in the 1990s to be a system seller?

Attached: N64PreLaunchVHS.png (805x450, 691.68K)

Yes, and it will never be again.

Yes it was. No, I'm not going to elaborate further. You weren't there and you'll never understand it.

George will be able to buy SW back for pennies on the dollar a few dozen Disney Plus series’ and spin-off movies from now

Retard

>was
it still is

Yes, because the prequels hadn't fucked everything up yet.

Shadows of the Empire was based and the closest thing to a new Star Wars movie till the prequels came out. It was a big deal.

Good for him, still not watching anything outside of the original trilogy.

Yes, around 1995 this got released. Just in time to fuel Star Wars hype for kids during that time.

Attached: 817bhNs0NhL.jpg (1554x2560, 498.4K)

no but n64 didnt have any games so they had to do it

1993 here. I remember watching the original trilogy on VHS before the turn of the millennium and liking it a lot even if I didn't understand a lot of stuff, I dreamed about having all the figures. I barely understand vidya when Shadows of Empire released, but I remember watching my cousin playing it around 98 and thinking it was cool as fuck

For me it was the 1997 Special Edition Trilogy. Also Rogue Squadron and Episode 1 Racer were pretty based.
Don't worry, the snoystation 1 had some Star Wars games too, unlike the Saturn...

Yes, it was only a decadish before. Pretty much everything pre-prequels was awesome. They were made by guys that were technically competent and clearly loved SW, which helped a lot. PC was where the bulk of it was though.

I didn't buy a nintendo 64 because of shadows of the empire but I got the game because it was the only thing available and mario wasn't in the shop yet

Don't really like Star Wars much but that's still a cool fackin' box.

everything was starwars even pizzahut had starwars shit right at that time

Star Wars had a massive resurgence of popularity in the 90s with reruns of the trilogy on TV constantly and shitloads of new video games & toys coupled with the Special Editions in 1997 and the absurd levels of hype there was for the prequels.
Shadows of the Empire wasn't brilliant but it was impressive as shit for its time even if most people only played the Battle of Hoth level on one of the N64 kiosks they had set up at stores.
It's also to do with the fact that the N64's initial lineup was pretty much nothing but
>Mario 64
>Pilotwings 64
>Wave Race
>Shadows of the Empire
>Turok
for the first six months or so.

Star Wars was pretty big back then. Not sure how big Shadows of the Empire was specifically. I just know that during that time there was a lot of Expanded Universe games and stuff through the PC games and books.

Attached: 1528328835904.jpg (1600x2158, 992.8K)

Yes, that was right after they started releasing the special editions.

N64 has... no games???

yeah, it only had like 400, psx had thousands of games

Star Wars had a big resurgance in the 90's. Not sure if that was because they announced Episode 1 or those shitty remastered VHS (Which I bought because I was stupid) or maybe Lucasarts were just capitalizing on their succesful video game division.

tldr yes it was

Quality over quantity

almost all of those 400 games were unplayable garbage, only like 20 of them are actually worth playing and they aren't even that good