Imagine if Ocarina of Time started with Link waking up in the Temple of Time and the Child Link section wasn't playable...

Imagine if Ocarina of Time started with Link waking up in the Temple of Time and the Child Link section wasn't playable, Zelda only told you what happened during your childhood in a cut scene and now you are told to stop Ganon in a destroyed world full of NPC's you never established a emotional connection with. That's this game in a nutshell

Attached: botw.jpg (800x1291, 201.72K)

botw is allowed to have a bad story, awful writing and shitty characters because the game is not about the story, writing or characters.

BoTW had shockingly and insultingly bad voice acting for a high profile IP like Zelda

You’re not wrong but the problem with the exploration being the ONLY good part it’s not really worth replaying more than like twice

where are all the botw fanboys at ?
defend this trash

Attached: Capture5.png (1729x954, 428.02K)

I`ve started playing it recently and although I enjoy it, I definitely prefer classic Zelda games.

List of Zelda games with good overworlds:
>Zelda 1
>ALttP
>Oracles
>ALBW

Maybe LA and MM at a stretch. I get why BotW would want to go the way it does but it's not like Zelda has an amazing track record with this shit. It's a better try than a lot of their other games at least.

BotW is my favourite game of all time but the story and voice acting is embarrassing. Impossible to defend.

whats the point of a game without any of those things being good?

Presumably gameplay, not that I'd use BotW as an example but I would say something like Umihara Kawase is.

You forgot a few, let me try.
Imagine if Ocarina of Time had
> no dungeons
> only four usable utility items
> a hyrule field that's 900x bigger but just as empty
> 1000 worthless collectibles
> no easily grind-able rupees
> purchaseable armors and weapons that you constantly need to switch between
Could go on, BotW is the most overrated piece of shit yet, worse than Last of Us. BotW literally killed the only representative of a genre that we never gave a name too. The only other game in that genre was Darksiders, which similarly killed itself.

It's tragic, but luckily we have quite a few 3D Zelda games to replay...

>BotW literally killed the only representative of a genre that we never gave a name too.
Pretty sure Zelda games are just action adventures user.

>storyfags
Not even once.

tlou is 6/10 game with a 4/10 story
botw is a 5/10 game with a 0/10 story

Nah, TLoU is overrated to hell and back but the story and characters are better than its gameplay.

OOT and MM are my favourite Zelda games

Got it backwards, 6 for story, 4 for gameplay

I had fun playing breath of the wild

How dare you.

Me too user. That first week after it came out and eveyone was figuring it out like newborn babies... Magical experience.

The game also lends itself pretty OK at challenge runs desu, I'm doing a Bows Only run currently and it's a pretty fresh experience. My only big gripe that I hope BotW 2 fixes is the lack of dungeons

Yes I had fun but OOT and MM and WW and possibly TP were more fun.

If BOTW didn't have story, or writing, or characters, then there would be no problem with that. The game could just be a wacky videogame sandbox, where the fun comes from your own drive to explore and conquer. Kind of like Terraria. BOTW needs to cut back on the NPCs and the tutorials and cutscenes, as I don't care about hyrule or the people living there. All I want is to fight some bad guys, it's not a hard concept to do.

Attached: dale thinking.jpg (480x360, 13.34K)

>where the fun comes from your own drive
I'm not interested in making my own fun. I want planned organised fun like OOT.

In interviews before the game they talked about wanting to redefine what a dungeon is--I consider a lot of areas where the challenge is primarily navigation to be basically this game's equivalent to dungeons. Like Akkala Citadel or Hyrule Castle, in addition to shrines and stuff.

That being said I do want more dungeons in the sequel. Unfortunately the lighting engine looks awful without sunlight, so I'm not sure how they'll handle that.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with planned, organized fun. My recommendation would be to have it so that the game doesn't have to tell you what to do, or where to go, or why you should care. It'll have a gauntlet of powerful monsters and challenging puzzles preventing you from exploring, and the drive is on you to pick and choose your battles. If you skip every cutscene in OOT, the game doesn't lose its charm, right? The gameplay is still there, as is the organized planning behind where you're supposed to go. BOTW could benefit from that, butt here's nothing wrong with the more freeform approach it tried.

I didn't like combat much in BotW. I mean sure, you can Rube Goldberg your way to victory and that's neat and all but I didn't really care much for the sword swinging and projectiles bit and flurry rushes are a terribly boring mechanic for how easy they are to abuse, plus mobs very rarely hid anything worth the interaction. I had more fun trying to stealth around shit than taking down my 20th "stronghold".

Well we've gotten a glimpse of what the cave gameplay will be like from the trailers and. Also dungeons could always have artificial light sources or magic lighting like the green glowie stuff from the trailers. I doubt BotW 2 will be to BotW 1 what Majora's was to Ocarina, but clever lighting could go a long ways when it comes to atmosphere

Please buy a PS5. Or watch PS5 "games" on YouTube for a similar, potentially better, experience. I recommend The Last of Us, Beyond, and Heavy Rain if you want a classic.

You establish the emotional connection with them during the game, not before it starts, you autist.