I honestly can’t tell if this game is underrated or overrated. It feels better, looks better...

I honestly can’t tell if this game is underrated or overrated. It feels better, looks better, and is more soulful than Super Metroid BUT it’s design is less well executed and progression is somewhat dissatisfying. I’m at a crossroads Any Forums what do you think?

Attached: E9565FB0-1C54-499D-8DCB-548A85599BFC.jpg (640x480, 74.04K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vNXqvKL9tXk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's overrated. That doesn't make it not a great game though.

underrated tho

Terribly designed kusoge that ruined Castlevania. 64 is unironically better.

After I played Horrow Knight I realized it's grossly overrated.

Gun game but inverted castle is lame and so is random RNG to get weapons.

It's not that good. Beat it so you can say you did and move on to better games.

It's visually stunning and has good music. Beyond that it's such a tepid game in all other respects. You can kill half the monsters before they complete their stupid intro animations, and can kill 98% of them before you see all what they can do.

It's a really nice game, but I agree that the progression is a bit iffy. The special powers are meh, all weapons are stabby ones outside of a few rare funky ones like the shield one, the bosses aren't great.
However, the atmosphere is absolutely top notch, the music is great, and it doesn't overstay its welcome.

The sprite work, music, and bestiary/weapon descriptions is what makes it kino for me. Gameplay is pretty basic and you can become woefully OP but there's a ton of little secrets and love put into the game that makes it charming.

Did most people experience the inverted castle? I find it so easy to beat it on your first playthrough without activating it.

Attached: B33413DC-D40D-460D-952B-D260E0C254B8.jpg (530x700, 83.37K)

SOTN is a classic because of the detailed artwork, satisfying movement, castle design and sheer number of options. You can become overpowered as fuck or ignore those abilities completely and relish the challenge. The soundtrack is one of the best the medium has to offer, with the only bad aspect being the application of Final Toccata to the entire inverted castle.

Later Castlevanias did some really dumb shit like locking crucial abilities behind random enemy drops.

The only thing I do not enjoy about this game is the lack of a proper NG+.

it's just a good game, nothing more nor less. the soundtrack, style and snappiness of the gameplay saves it
general flaws:
>RPG mechanics are weak, entering an ugly menu to equip the item with a bigger number isn't fun
>enemies don't always seem tailored to their areas; haunted books in library make sense, boomerang skeletons in the towers and plant bitches in hallways don't
>using consumables to heal and such requires lots of menu hopping, too tedious
>too many items in general, single-use items like magic missile are too much of a pain to bother with so I just stick to sub-weapons
>when you walk into a sub-weapon it throws your one out and can often lead you to chasing it, this happened constantly by accident. would be better if there was a dedicated button to pick them up
>what's with the hidden weapon moves and abilities like bat dashing? the game never even tells you about how to high jump
>have to use the bat and mist a lot in inverted castle and they're not satisfying to control
>already have all abilities in inverted castle, nothing to figure out, basically just busywork killing monsters in unusual terrain
>majority of enemies (bosses especially) don't require actually learning their moves or fighting strategically, it's usually just a DPS race. Dracula is a perfect example

map flaws:
>can't place markers on map
>map doesn't auto-mark gates, ie fog gates, blue/red doors etc
>map isn't multi-colored to distinguish zones
>map doesn't have titles of zones
>map has no visually distinct shapes, all squares

I don't know how you'd even consider it being underrated, it's a beloved game that still is one of the most praised games ever. I'd say it's arguably overrated, but whether it is or not, it's still a good game.

This, but I think that's more than enough to make it a bad game. Satisfying controls and good music just don't make this worthwhile. I've played it a couple times, finished it once, and honestly the best thing I got out of it is listening to the soundtrack on youtube.

The map interface is just fucking criminal, there's simply no excuse to not do the things that Super Metroid already figured out years prior. It's even more criminal how games released today (like Hollow Knihgt) still refuse to do it and give you some meme markers and clean its hands off.

It's a decent game but insanely overrated due to nostalgia and being the first of its kind. The DS Castlevanias alone are objectively better in every single way, but they're completely ignored nowadays.

>DS

Grossly overrated and deeply flawed game. The games that came after like AoS, PoR and OoE all surpass it in various ways.

Ruined Castlevania for quite a long time with lazy RPG bullshit

The fairy singing in the JP version if you sit and fall asleep on a chair blew my fucking mind the first time I saw it in some random video years ago.
youtube.com/watch?v=vNXqvKL9tXk