What happened to make Beckett suddenly change his mind on the Sarcophagus towards the end?

What happened to make Beckett suddenly change his mind on the Sarcophagus towards the end?

Attached: Beckett.jpg (957x957, 217.27K)

Jack probably filled him in. Wouldn't surprise me, anyway.

Always wondered about that one. Didn't he have some sort of foresight like a spider sense? It's meant to turn away the player, but yeah it was awkward and not explained.

He's too scared for it to be Jack informing him about a simple bomb
He probably got a visit from something allied to Cabbie that scared the shit out of him

The game makes plenty of hints to not open it, Rosa, "a friend" and Beckett all tell you directly "don't open it" without explaining further, so that's kind of the point.

Maybe Grout sent him an email like he did to the protag.

In game the most probable explanation is that Jack warned him but IMO most likely it was a final "warning" by the devs for the more stubborn players to avoid feeling goaded into the bad ending seeing as Beckett was one of the few vampires in the game that was 100% trustworthy as he was not affiliated with anybody and had no interest in power games.

I CAME

Attached: YOUOPENEDTHEBOX.jpg (1677x2048, 1.87M)

i always thought that was the taxi driver

>seeing as Beckett was one of the few vampires in the game that was 100% trustworthy as he was not affiliated with anybody and had no interest in power games
A fact that the game makes no effort in providing to the players. A young me playing this game had no fucking clue who Beckett was and his backstory, there was no reason to trust him in any way.

Grout ends up dead so unless you're saying he's secretly alive or predicted everything in advance and set his computer to send those emails at the exact time you complete the associated quests.
It's the taxi driver (who is Caine).

That lady on the beach tells you that you can trust "The lone wolf and the man on the couch."
The man on the couch is obviously Mercurio, and Beckett is one of the only Gangrel characters you meet, and you first meet him in his wolf form, obviously making him the lone wolf.

Rosa tells you you can trust "the man on the couch" and "the lone wolf" (Mercurio and Beckett), so unless you didn't go through her dialog you have some reason to.

I always found it odd that Mercurio is specifically called out as a character you can trust even though he has zero presence in the story after you finish the astrolite quest. I kept expecting Mercurio to get involved in the main story but he never did.

i never understood why they made such a inessential character like mercurio as one of the only trustworthy ones.

So a crazy thinblood on a beach that I just met tells me some cryptic shit. And from what I remember, nobody actually tells you that Beckett is a Gangrel. By the time you see him in wolf form, he could be a god damn werewolf for all we knew.

I always assumed this, he was just filled in on the "prank"
He could just be acting decently

Werewolves and vampires are not cool with each other at all, if Beckett was a werewolf he wouldn't be down to have a calm chat with you. And Beckett is literally a vampire historian, why would a werewolf care so much about vampires?

He's referencing an old fan theory that the emailer is grout, someone made a theory image but unfortunately I've lost it.

Attached: 1662302250166326.jpg (1024x810, 100.65K)

>inessential character
Guy's basically the only person who'll sell you guns in the late game when the whole city starts falling apart.

based loser thinblood gang

They've probably chosen him because it's someone the player actually knows at this early stage of the story. It's a game and setting where pretty much everyone you meet is a selfish asshole in one way or another, so perhaps the devs felt like they should make it clear to the player that there at least some characters he doesn't have to be constantly suspicious of and your first questgiver/informant is one of them

>why would a werewolf care so much about vampires
He's a vampire weeb

Beckett is taken from the wider White Wolf canon, same as Jack. Tabletop players familiar with the setting would've probably recognised both of them immediately when the dropped their names.

Are you telling me that those two characters exist in other pieces of VtM media? That's pretty cool.

IIRC the game plays it loose so that you can handwave if they're the same characters or not, but there's a much wider canon than we see in the games. Think went through an End Times-esque reboot some time the past decade though.

Attached: jack.png (482x677, 577.92K)

Yeah. The lore in the rule books for the table top was often delivered in short stories, or letters written by characters in the world, or characters ruminating in monologues. "Hey Kid, watch out for forests that's wolf territory" kinda shit.

I think they turn up in the novels too.

>Think went through an End Times-esque reboot some time the past decade though.

2004. The game actually leads almost directly into it.

In the last decade they brought the original setting back and ret-conned the end times into more a of a massive upheaval to justify everything still existing.

ISOLATED

Attached: 1658983378292447.jpg (2033x2048, 569.22K)