"Our FROTHING DEMAND for this game INCREASES."

"Our FROTHING DEMAND for this game INCREASES."
- IGN.com

Attached: 62DF7220-F130-4292-AAA5-535D07FCE013.jpg (640x908, 223.2K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/2t2I366YXHo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

it was pretty funny seeing IGN pretend to know anything about shmups because they were so amazed by the polarity system

Best shmup ever it has two colors

Why did Ikaruga inparticular gain so much favor with normalfags?

Probably a domino effect. All it takes is one big site like IGN to review it and many others will follow. That includes Youtubers and Youtubers means sales.

Enough people knew about it from it being at Arcade and on the Dreamcast before making it to GameCube. It had just enough people talking about it to generate some buzz, people weren't even that crazy about it critically, it was just a cool import game people got for their DC. For an early 2000s shoot 'em up it was pushed pretty hard for some reason.

polarity + pretty looking bullets

>Youtube
>in the early 00s

Anyway i think Ikaruga got shilled so much because it was more puzzle-like than other shmups and i guess the visuals might have been interpreted as artistic by journos, that's all it takes for people that don't really play games to give favourable reviews.

influencers werent really a thing back then

People that wrote for magazines were the ones that influenced opinions back then, all the constant shilling for shitty british games like Tomb Raider we got in the PS1 era is still stuck in my euro brain.

youtu.be/2t2I366YXHo

The OP quote is a 2012 review.

?

If IGN's praising it, I don't want to try it.

Uh its on the cover of the Gamecube version of the game
It sure feels like one, not like i care about it since i spend my time playing better shmups like Border Down.

Wonder how they managed to find that review to put it on the box art in 2001.

I think it's because it's a lot less demanding in reactions and works more as you memorizing the levels and building a script instead of reacting to every bullet and dodging, it's why I got into it at least when I didn't play schumps at all and thought they sucked
also, it looks cool af in general

People at the time were really deluding themselves about treasure games. Rags like hg101 helped push them as the "best developer you've never heard of" despite all their games being weak but polished.

Oh, my mistake.

>Ikaruga released on GC in 2012
what

Treasure was very good but i don't find Ikaruga to be special, they made better games before that that's for sure.

Artistic game from a dying genre that normies like to say they enjoy for niche gamer points (they've never even heard of the developer or any of their other games)