What did Nintendo learn from the Wii U’s failure?

What did Nintendo learn from the Wii U’s failure?

Attached: C2A2DE71-152B-40FF-92EF-619309007B27.jpg (1920x1080, 137.74K)

how to make games soulless

no one cared or cares about the wii after the first 3 years from its release and having to move your neck to look at your crotch during fast non-handheld games gameplay is not the same as glancing down at the bottom DS screen

no one wants home consoles they just want handhelds

just port games

>what did Nintendo learn
They accidentally convinced people that the tablet WAS the console, and those who knew better still wished the tablet functioned independently
So the next time around the tablet was indeed the console
It really was a switch beta test, not even mad tho, it had its moments, the fact that everything got ported is proof of that

That consoles should launch with games people want to play that show off the benefits of the hardware + that off-TV play isn't a great idea when it only works within five feet of the console + Don't market your console to confused casual facebook idiots who moved on to slop like Angry Birds and farmville for their casual gaming fix half a decade ago.

If the Wii U had launched with Splatoon and Super Mario Maker it would have panned out very differently. Not a huge success probably but a lot better than it did.

They learned how to win the next generation apparently.

WIiU was basically Switch's beta test. They perfected the concept when they had the technology and added the detachable controllers.

That if they strip away all the features and market to normalfags with portability they can swandive into full anti-consumer cancer and fuck over everyone and make loads of money doing it.

You can get away with anything you want to your customers only after you get millions of units sold

These right here.

nobody cares as much as they think they do about legacy content

>What did NEC learn from the TG-16’s failure?
It over retrobros...

>What did Nintendo learn from the Wii U’s failure?
>properly communicate the main selling point of your new console
>give it an unique and catchy name that clearly separates it from all your past products
>there's no point in splitting development teams to satisfy 2 consoles at once because in the end you won't be able to release quality software for both in a timely manner
>region locking is insanely retarded
>keeping your old ass powerPC architecture can help with easy backwards compatibility at the cost of being able to switch to modern more flexible architectures
>acknowledge the fact your last console was a massive flop no one bough and salvage all the software you can by porting and improving it for your new console
>do a better attempt at creating an online account system you can keep alive for several console generations instead of depending on local accounts
>you need 3rd party support

Attached: Wii U ad.jpg (1136x640, 138.05K)

>the fourth New Super Mario Bros. game in a few years, and only a few months after the last one as the launch title and then a year of nothing until Pikmin 3
>the most ambitious title ever in one of the most acclaimed series ever which was immediately received as one of the best games of all time as the launch title and then the most ambitious title ever in THE most acclaimed series ever in half a year with big releases like Splatoon, Mario Kart, Arms and Fire Emblem Warriors in the gap
Initial momentum. Any other answer is b8, underage or a retard

people will eat shit if you properly market it

I've never seen the actual Wii U console before, only the controller. How fucking stupid could they be to plaster "Wii" on it and not "Wii U"? The logo for the "U" is terrible too.

>Pick a better name
>Don't keep relying on the same gimmick forever
That is really all they needed to take away from it.
The WiiU it's self is pretty good. The gimmick of the tablet controller was good/useful for any game with a map/menu/inventory. Gyroscope not so much. As someone who worked at Best Buy for the whole of the Wii Us life, I can 100% confirm the name was confusing to the non avid gamer.

You know there was really one simple thing they should have done and it would have made the WiiU a smash hit.
>Here is a port for 3DS carts on the console.
Hell even a peripheral "Super DS" that plugs in via USB would have been acceptable. The Wii U was literally the best system for a DS/3DS to TV just for the second screen.

you're not wrong but they also undermined their own killer apps by offering similar or better alternatives on the 3DS
>Smash 4 released first on the 3DS and later on the Wii U with a shittier solo mode and 1080p@60fps as the main selling point
>MK8 released literally incomplete with way fewer features/content than MK7
they were actually competing with themselves and the 3DS, shit the Wii U never actually got a proper 2D Kirby game, all it got was fucking a fucking canvas curse gimmicky sequel while 3DS got planet robobot and triple deluxe, same with animal crossing or almost any other major IP, 3DS was simply getting better software and faster than Wii U

user, why do you think he posted that image

I know but I never fully understood just how bad it was because I wasn't paying attention to console gaming when the Wii U was relevant.

look at the pic again, not even fucking gamestop had the slightest idea of wtf was a Wii U
for me the stupid part was the "U", they could've had got away with the Wii branding if they named it Wii 2
I knew a lot of people who legit though the Wii U gamepad was a peripheral for the Wii like the Wii balance board or the Wii motion plus and I really can't blame them for not knowing better because Nintendo did a magnificent job at explaining how the Wii U was def not just a new gimmick controller

Attached: 1534424998882.png (563x1655, 472.6K)

fuck off the ps4 will win

savage af

they learned that they needed to fold their dev teams into a single console or they would go bankrupt