Does it still hold up to modern indie games?

Does it still hold up to modern indie games?

Attached: cavestory.gif (640x480, 301.45K)

Yes.

It's still the best indie game ever made, yes.

Attached: 1629612487312.png (677x664, 595.82K)

Curly is canadian....

It's a fine work. There are indies I like more than it, but it's still a good game.

Game is fun, so yes.

>to modern indie games

you talk like indie games have evolved when like 50% of them are now roguelike deckbuilders to cash into StS and Isaac popularity

of course cave story still holds, it was a passion project made by a talented individual who made a kickass OST and nice metroid inspired gameplay
and it somehow managed to not attract a crowd of retarded fans unlike undertale, perhaps thanks to the fact that the game can stand on it's own and didn't need any "this is just like that godzilla creepypasta" to stand on it's own merit

Cave Story is fun exactly once, one complete playthrough being a blind then "good end" playthrough. So many areas of this game are a complete slog. No-jetpack Sand Zone is easily one of the worst offenders and I've dropped many attempted replays there. The amount of backtracking is awful and it can only be slightly mitigated with foreknowledge of the fetch quests.

Despite this, Cave Story is a great game with horrendous replayability.

>and it somehow managed to not attract a crowd of retarded fans unlike undertale
Sueposter's aren't great user...

there's only like three of them
I was one of them until I got bored

It's just "okay". Some areas have aged a lot, but the bossfights are still a blast.

mimiga sex

>nice metroid inspired gameplay
It has little in common with metroid gameplay-wise

that's because unlike undertale it's actually kind of hard (at least it seemed pretty hard to me when I played it aged like 12) so it filters out the absolute shitters

Cave Story is directly inspired by Super Metroid. It's not a clone, but it has roots in that game.

games being difficult wouldnt filter anyone these days since theyd just watch it on youtube and act like fans

>think about cave story
>cave story thread appears on Any Forums
Get out of my mind

Attached: dilbert.jpg (480x360, 24.44K)

Is still the best indie game

Attached: 1636443864035.jpg (850x1202, 138.85K)

curly is CUTE

Yes, mogs Hollowshit as well

Don't forget the generic soulslike "Metroidvania" format Hollow Knight and Dead Cells pioneered