Assassin's Creed franchise essentials

I checked here and on /vg/ for active threads for info. For perspective, I am about 100 hours into the Assassin's Creed Odyssey campaign, and this is my first Assassin's Creed experience ever. I was just fired from my job, and all I currently do is play this game and shoot off job apps.

I just want to gather your opinions on this franchise since I'm the type of player to waste massive amounts of time in these games. I never really cared for this franchise since I thought other IPs did this gameplay schtick better. But I had an obsession with Western Classical Antiquity as a kid, so I just bought Odyssey so I can larp my way around Greece.
So I just got to Laconia in the story, after many narrative and technical mishaps. I don't like Ubisoft, I think the story sucks, and the combat leaves a lot to be desired in polish. But I'm crushing on Kassandra, the environment is pretty, and I'm a sucker for the setting.
I already bought Origins to play next, and depending on how I like it, I'll play Valhalla after a PC upgrade and be ready for the newly announced titles. But I know these are like the 40th games in the franchise, and the discussion about Valhalla leads me to believe that I'd enjoy it a whole lot more if I have more of the franchise under my belt.
So Any Forums, please let me know what you think of this IP, and what its high points are. I have the time to really get in there now. Thanks folks.

Attached: aco.jpg (960x540, 135.5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/FSVHx23ByhM
youtu.be/DYTQlmqH05g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>So Any Forums, please let me know what you think of this IP, and what its high points are.
The fact that you like Odyssey so much already distances you from the rest of what exists of the AC fanbase on Any Forums. A lot of anons consider Odyssey to be the worst in the series.
I personally enjoyed Odyssey, but Origins did it a lot better.

The Ezio trilogy is the highpoint of the series, but it's so distanced from the current games in the series that it doesn't really play at all like the modern trilogy (Origins, Odyssey, Valhalla)

Thank you so much for your reply. I suspected this. I'm definitely looking forward to Origins now, but I probably won't take it further than that. I'm going to stick to focusing on the main questline of Odyssey rather than a completionist/wandering run. I totally get the hate for Odyssey too. The majority of the game, story and gameplay-wise, seems like a tacked on afterthought. But it was really cool visiting some places and narrative points in such a big budget way.

I played every AC except Valhalla.
The series evolved steadily after the first game. As you said the time period is at least half of the charm of the games, if you like you will probably forgive most issues. Another thing is that two main team makes the AC games. The OG A team makes the better ones and the B team makes the worse ones. And to make it even more confusing, some AC games were clearly made as expansion discs so the content was never meant to be equal. If you ever plan to play through all the games then you should know it can get tiresome as there are big gaps between serious gameplay changes. Despite this, every game has its own spin on the formula that others don't have.

AC1 is very rough, repetitive and very punishing. It sold well but Ubisoft saw the reception and they reinvented the game by AC2. This is the AC most people know. Somewhat open world, smartass prettyboy main character, peak Italy instead of dirty cities from the middle ages. AC Brotherhood is an expansion disc but perfected the formula. Revelations was another expansion and a bit tired where important story bits are shitty DLC. AC could never nail the dlc, pretty much all of them is bad. AC3 was good for a trilogy ender but not as an AC game. Early america is just not interesting IMO. The story after this got bad then Ubi dropped it in the future games. AC4 was the star of the old style games, it was fresh by taking the game outside the big cities. AC Rogue is an expansion disc with heavy recycling. AC Unity was revolutionary but bombed because the consoles ran it like shit. AC Syndicate was a forgettable quick buck to get back some of the costs of Unity. AC Origins remade the game as an open world soulslike and it was great. AC Odyssey was needlessly big and the rushed work really shows (made in 1 year!). Copy pasted assets everywhere. NPCs are generated on the same base model. Quests feel like they were made for an MMO.

>AC could never nail the dlc, pretty much all of them is bad.
I disagree. I enjoyed most of the dlcs. AC3's and Syndicate's DLC was better than the main game, Unity's DLC was the only time the main character got any character development, and Origins and Odyssey both had cool DLC too.

Another thing I would like to add is the story always had its issues. Not just the main "real world" one but the ingame "history". Most of the games follow this:
1, Main character gets wronged by someone.
2, He swears revenge.
3, You take over the entire map.
4, Suddenly a mission to kill the bad guy.
5. He dies and you won.
Even if you do little side activities I guarantee you forget the main story completely then suddenly it ends. The only main bad guys I remember the ones where the devs wanted to make them annoying. I might be unfair but it is very hard to top AC2s ending, now that was pretty damn good (but not because of the big bad).

I don't exactly remember AC3 but I remember the Jack the Ripper one from Syndicate. My issue with the DLCs that you always get a DLC exclusive gimmick on an extremely limited play space to keep the cost down. The devs want you to spam the gimmick from the beginning to the end. The DLC is short and this means the exploration and upgrades are kept to minimal which really shows the smoke and mirrors of the games. If the world wasn't ridiculously big with a million stuff to collect then there is really nothing to do in it.

>If the world wasn't ridiculously big with a million stuff to collect then there is really nothing to do in it.
Yeah, that's the main problem with the entire series really, DLC or no. Still, I appreciated the downscaled size of the DLCs, they didn't drag like most of the games tend to do after a certain point.

OP here, I'm only just starting the Order stuff in Makedonia, but its pretty meh. I have high hopes for the Atlantis stuff, I don't know anything about the Isu and my driving motivation in the story is to learn why Leonidas' spear is so goddamn important and who the prehistoric superhumans were. I sort of recognized the cool wristblade thing from the old man, I guess that's important to the story? I dunno, the dude from the Shadow of Mordor games has the same thing I think.

I remember playing the ACIV DLC which downscaled the entire main game into a few hours.
>destroy a dozen ship in less than a hour
>own ship is maxed out
>this took 60 hours in the main game simply because less resource gain
It really puts things into perspective.

The high points happened a decade ago, the new games have nothing to do with the old ones besides a historical backdrop. Ass Creed died a first death when its creator and brainchild was let go after he disagreed with the direction his jew overlords wanted to take the IP on. It died a second death alongside its main protagonist, with the last game the main writer wrote. It then died a final death after Unity, the last good Assassin's Creed. I don't think I'll ever not be mad about the wasted potential with this franchise, narrative and mechanics-wise.

Attached: Good AC games.jpg (5760x5400, 2M)

That's too bad about the franchise's decline, an all too common story nowadays.
I'm watching a few videos on the Ezio trilogy, trying to keep ignorant of the finer plot points, and think I might just pivot to that after I'm satisfied with Odyssey. I got Origins on impulse since I saw it on humble bundle.

I loved Origins.
Bayek had a good story and Egypt was a great setting. Could never get into Oddysey and haven't played the viking one.

You'll probably enjoy Origins, user. Combat is worse than in Odyssey and much more simple, but the story is actually pretty cool and Bayek is a great character. Setting is pretty too. Honestly, the first AC games must feel pretty old by now. The Ezio trilogy was fantastic for its time but the rest of them were mediocre at best.

Odyssey is my favorite in the franchise for the same reasons you listed. Played it to completion for almost 120 hours and probably will replay it soon.

Something important to note is that it's the least "AC" game in the entire franchise. It cares so little about the overarching story that they had to release a (terrible) DLC to talk about the assassins. I think this is one of the main complaints people have with the game, but the main story of the franchise is absolute trash so I don't really see this as a bad thing.

Don't think too much about its weak points and just have fun exploring Greece with Kassandra. Try to visit as many islands as you can and engage in the comfy story and sidequest, most of them are pretty funny thanks to the game being pretty laidback and the different choices during the conversations.

Oh, and try the Atlantis DLC. A bit boring gameplay wise but the scenery is great and it has great moments with some characters.

Attached: 20190112025715r3j6r.jpg (1920x1080, 262.12K)

1, 2 aged badly. But Brotherhood is a massive jump forward. Still old but tons of improvements.

hey dudes, about to jump back into Lakonia, and holy shit this title theme in the main menu is amazing, and I'm recalling that every single track is memorable to me and the oftentimes unfortumate situations I've found myself in playing in the story mode. Is the music a strong point of this game?

Not the main menu theme but the inventory theme; they've been shamelessly reusing it since AC2
youtu.be/FSVHx23ByhM
youtu.be/DYTQlmqH05g

Hell yeah thank you. I almost uninstalled when your decisions in Odyssey have almost no impact on the story, even the cut scenes.I fucking hate the mercenary system that drags a 5 minute task into an hour long chore, and then motherfucking edglelord Deimos murders fucking PERIKLES with minimal repercussions in the main story (i kept from killing him out of deference for the historical figure, the indignity his character suffered in this game!)
I mentioned before that I didn't like Ubisoft, and for this particular game (and maybe its predecessor) I don't mind it, but what the flying fuck.

heavy recommend on ezio's trilogy if nothing else. not even origins. Unity maybe if you really liked the parkour system cuz Unity has the best one.

im chuckling heartily, this is good to know. i've spent so much time in that damn menu, only to realize that there is nowhere near as much gear variety as I initially thought.

>I am about 100 hours into the Assassin's Creed Odyssey campaign
I did everything in the game and DLC except for the endless radiant quests and finished the game at a little over 200 hours.
It was peak lockdown, I enjoyed exploring the world because I like classical shit and the Peloponnesian war is a really underutilized time period in media.
The combat was garbage and unrewarding, and the story is stretched so thin over too much game that characters will show up that you have forgotten completely because it was 50 hours and 2,000 bandit camps ago.
Also the monster fights were my favorite part of the game so as soon as I could I went out and did them all, then when back to turn them in to Pythagoras confident I was going to get a second round of mythical monsters, only to get the ending that actually matters half way through the fucking game which really removes any desire to give a shit about the rest of the plot in the game. The ultimate ending of the quest line if you do everything right is some cheesy 90's sitcom wet fart ending.
Naval combat felt more like a chore than the absolute joy of black flag.
Its a really good looking game, and I hope the greek tourism board cut them a check because it makes me really want to go get drunk and fish on the beaches of the of the agean. I spent a lot of time in photo mode.
They give you some free ubi-bux to use in their cash shop, get the synth wave pegasus, it doesn't take fall damage. You don't ever need to spend money since all the cosmetics rotate through a special in-game shop that takes a crafting material that exists only to buy cosmetics from that one shop and the game hands you enough that its never scarce.

Attached: odyssey hecate.png (1280x720, 1.97M)

>I fucking hate the mercenary system that drags a 5 minute task into an hour long chore
Just drop the difficulty to normal or even easy, it's not worth wasting that much time with combats and mercenaris can be really boring. It gets better as you go on, but the first few hours are infuriating.

Skills are great though. You'll be able to make some pretty broken builds by the end of the game if you know what you're doing. That alone makes this the best combat in any AC game, which is not saying much sadly.

>only to get the ending that actually matters half way through the fucking game which really removes any desire to give a shit about the rest of the plot in the game.
This was weird as fuck and it also happened to me. It's obvious the game is trying to push your family drama as the main thing, but they should have warned you or even blocked the last cutscene of the Pythagoras quest until the end of the game.