How do video games work

How do video games work

Attached: FZ72MkvVQAAjbU4.jpg (3840x2088, 1.21M)

They don't.

They do, i've seen them.

Magic to a idiot to a half way even half way educated person a very complex string of numbers and letters combined with funky looking pictures

False, they do not exist. Independent fact-checkers confirm that.

what you saw was lies

it's a bunch of classes (like in programming) running in memory. The classes have methods and fields. The methods can open files that load other classes, or create assets like models and textures and finite state machines, or any other of a million things. They have rules that determine the game logic. The way they work together creates the game you see on your screen

Too many dimensions there, condense it down to a normalmap.

Attached: Pillars_of_Eternity.webm (1100x618, 2.97M)

English, Poindexter

it was 2d all along? please someone tell me this is fake

Attached: 1650376943889.png (619x453, 45.73K)

A computer is nothing more than a calculator. A video game is just a whole heap of simple operations like add this number to that number, is that number larger than this number, are these two numbers equal, etc., etc. done many, many, many, many, many times a second combined with hardware that does things like make a pixel a certain color based on a number being fed to it by your computer.

entrapped demons

Same way our current reality works.

What you don't directly observe simply is not "rendered" and does not exist and take up the universe's computational power.

That way it's easier to make it appear like we're living in an unsimulated reality.

Attached: nooticer.jpg (1080x823, 227.88K)

I hate to break it to you but you're 2D right now.

You make a bunch of 3d character models and 3d buildings and shit like that, apply a coat of paint to make them look like more then blobs, and you have some kinda code that uses math to figure out stuff

>3d reflections
>2d world

please explain

no shit it was 2d, fuck are you talking about?
hand-drawn 2d backgrounds were one of the biggest selling points of this game

Noclipping through maps to see the tiny sections outside the maps where they "filmed" the cutscenes was always one of my favorite things in these old games.

He did. A normal map. They fake depth in 2d stuff

Normal maps. It's a 2D image but they contain data for three dimensions.

you take video
you take game
euuugnnhhh
video game

Telling a computer to display pretty lights and how to respond to button presses

It's just computer magic, pay it no mind.

Attached: 1557597258195292160 (1).webm (1280x720, 2.15M)

>PBR materials contain the information about roughness and lighting normals
>2d scene is cut out into a series of geometrical shapes to define zones, so shit like light sources have occlusion
Having not played the game, but going by the visuals in the webm, I'm assuming these locations were LEGO'd together with modular art assets they already created, and then an artist went in and detailed shit after the fact to break up any tiling, add dust, change the roughness on some materials, etc. Looks fucking great though and is a good use of leveraging 3d processes into a 2d style presentation.

Likely bloats the fuck out of the game's filesize if it's storing highly detailed pre-rendered backgrounds with full PBR though.

It kinda blew my mind when I realise that 3D models are actually lots and lots and lots of Vec3

By combining magical magnets that do indeed work, and transgendermancy. This will create a terrible game in most cases, however if you use the right alchemical formula and ratios you can create a great game worthy of roman arm- I mean praise. The formula is lost to time however. And transgendermancy is a dark art that will sap your very strength and rob you of what little charisma you have. Be ye warned user, be ye warned

Attached: 3 (three).jpg (240x210, 5.2K)

If you know anything about programming, you've heard of loops before, right? Such as "for" and "while".

Video games are loops similar to those. The loop goes forever and every frame is an iteration. The secret to how video games work is that things happen little by little, every loop. These ticks give you the illusion of movement.

Attached: makes sense.jpg (468x624, 134.24K)

Checked

Attached: checked.gif (467x468, 2.64M)

Your pathetic human eyes require reality to comprehend what's in front of them but computers metallic vision can see all.