I want to make a cool little game that is about the plot and characters and humorous dialogue...

I want to make a cool little game that is about the plot and characters and humorous dialogue, but I don't know what genre is best for a single dev? Point+click adventure? VN? Top down rpg?

Attached: fhzUT0u.png (746x639, 81.19K)

>trying to cram a story into a genre and not the other way around
already failed, think of gameplay and mechanics first and foremost

I can’t shake em

But that is what I want to make. An interactive story with lots of satire. Basic and established mechanics are fine I don't need to break new ground with gameplay. There are plenty of games that don't break new ground with mechanics, like every fps game for like 20 years.

Attached: 6be.jpg (640x506, 72.15K)

I don’t think it’s going to happen

If you can actually write, you can use the medium of video games to your advantage in the sense that different possible stories and timelines can be explored based on the player's choices. Story games tend to have very limited scopes for a reason however, simply because of how much dev time they suck up.

Whatever you do, do NOT attempt to make an RPG for this. Unless if you use RPG maker, in which case it is fine. RPGs are extremely time expensive to produce. If you're looking to make a VN, go with Renpy because it's very easy to use and requires very little programming knowledge.

>I don't know what genre is best for a single dev?
VN because devving games is hard and VNs are not games

Sounds like you want to make Undertale again.

start with a game you like and make something similar

>An interactive story
renpy visual novels or rpgmaker
>with lots of satire.
not actually a feature when it comes to gameplay

Then leave the thread

Yes I thought as much. I like the aesthetic of iso rpgs like Arcanum and they have the right mood for the story I want but they would have to be non combat or just isometric point and click games without any rpg element.

What do you think of something like a Deus Ex style game without combat? Just exploration and puzzles and the character dialogue to solve a mystery? Is a 3D just as time consuming or is a retro first person game a good way forward?

I wouldn't play this OP. Just a heads up, it sounds overdone and uninteresting.
It doesn't even sound like it'll have any gameplay to tie it together. Why would anyone play this?

I don't like undertale

Okay

Good idea. I would really love, if I won the lottery and had all my time free, to make a deus ex like game with more puzzles and les combat to tell a cool mystery story.

I know satire isn't a feature user. Obviously. What I mean is what would be the best route for making a story and character focused game.

>muh gameplay first
Sick of this thoughtless opinion. Plenty of decent games have generic gameplay. No one has innovated on fps games for years and they are still popular. It will have gameplay you know and understand already. It's not just a click able script.

P.S. forgot to me tonight that yes I can write. It is my passion and I can do dialogue and interesting stories well. I don't want to to write short stories though. No one reads anymore. I'd like something more interactive.

Why not? It sounds very much like what you are describing.

>Plenty of games have generic gameplay
What a high bar to set for yourself. I'm sure your game will be a smash hit

From the few hours I played in undertale it seems like a quirky smug mess of meta jokes. There is no real plot structure with factions, foils, interesting motivations, wthical dilemmas. It has a story that serves a bunch of ironic characters like quirky skeletons. I am thinking more a Deus Ex style story than an Undertale.

There is nothing wrong with making an entry in a genre already established. If you made a Monkey Island inspired game with classic adventure game aesthetics ut would be fun and just fine. Don't need some genre bending nonsense.

No it doesn't, but you don't even have a single iota of gameplay planned for your game.
Why not write a book instead?

Deus ex was good because the gameplay and story influence each other. Your actions affect things and so on.
Why does your story need to be a game? Like said why not write a book or a short story?
So far it sounds like your only idea is "I want to make a story with characters people like, with plot twists" and like...great, sounds fucking riveting. Why does this story benefit from interactivity?

>No reply
I guess the story doesn't benefit from being a game. Good luck on your book OP.

>he decides the gameplay before the type of game
Okay user I have seen the light. I will build a cool bullet hell system for my game. Then I will decide to do a grand strategy game. Faggot. I am deciding the type of game. Then I will decide the gameplay.
>book
Linear, not as interacterive, no one reads

See above for why I don't want to do a book or story. I want to make a game. I value good and interesting stories. The fact you gatekeepers faggots insist that you have to have some intricate damage calculation system for a game worked out before you settle on making any game should show you why none of YOU people have made a game either. Plenty of people decide they want to tell a story first and pick an appropriate genre. How the fuck to you think they adapt a property like making a Harry Potter game? Total faggotry from the both of you.

Kek you smug nigger. Like you are here to decide what game gets made. Wheres your game user? You seem to know all about how a game gets made. Faggot.

>Why none of you people have made a game
I've made several games published by Nicalis, which is why I'm trying to ask you to think about the design reasons of having your story be a game, not for any weird gatekeeping shit. It can be as simple as you want multiple endings, but so far you haven't given a single reason as to why, which is very telling of why it probably shouldn't be a game.
You can do whatever you want, but any great story game had actual gameplay and wasn't just a movie.