Who killed Dungeon crawler?

Who killed Dungeon crawler?

Attached: 05_1.png (512x384, 9.71K)

Doesn't make for good streamer content

dungeon travelers 2-2 because it set a standard of greatness that will never be achieved in our life times.

I did. I don't like them. It was all me.

The rise of roguelikes probably had something to do with it. Most people shy away from dungeon crawlers because they can be really unforgiving if you don't prepare properly and get caught in a dungeon. With most roguelikes, even if you get caught because of poor preparation, it is usually very forgiving in allowing you to still gain progression towards overcoming the content.
Dungeon crawlers have for awhile been a niche game genre. I don't think anything killed it, though.

Attached: jswpv19.jpg (1024x622, 89.81K)

You posted it, OP. No other dungeon crawler ever approached the complexity and difficulty of EO, not even the later EO games themselves

>walk forward
>nothing happens
>turn right
>holy shit there's an important interactable on the wall
>repeat for every wall

>what do you mean you're going to use the exact same assets for every wall in this stage

>what do you mean i have to draw the whole map, EVEN THE WALLS AND FLOOR, on my own

>do you really need to interrupt my exploration so often?
>what the fuck was i doing just now

gee i wonder why it was never popular

Awful nip DRPGS with lazy ass maps like your pic.

Attached: 040dba1669a82ba41bf87383cbe8d3b8.gif (400x360, 1.76M)

>zoomer with the brainpower of a goldfish doesnt like EO
pottery

nta but EO is omega casual my guy

that has nothing to do with anything though

recommend me a dungeon crawler I can play on PC

Attached: e92a844bd7a57ded744259be2356a346.jpg (1024x856, 60.48K)

Legend of Grimrock and Legend of Grimrock 2

when you are insulting someone's "brainpower" for not liking EO it kind of does.

elminage gothic
grimrock 1 and 2
labyrinth of 2hu 2
grimoire

Ok then, let's try this
>zoomer with the brainpower of a goldfish cant get into the omega casual drpg

Does that sound better, completely different user? ;^)

I can't wait for Labyrinth of Touhou 3 desu

>Does that sound better, completely different user? ;^)
Yes.

>Dungeon Crawler
>Game is an easy but intentionally boring slog
>Balanced around a constant attrition of your resources that is easy enough to deal with
>But then an ordinary enemy attack inflicts instant death and level drain and steals half your money
I had enough of that thirty years ago. Give me more titles like Wizardry 8 and not these JP copycats of Wizardry 3.

A lot of people are allergic to first person games that aren't shooters these days. I know someone that's played multiple SMT games and likes them but won't touch the older ones or Etrian because he doesn't like first person dungeon crawlers. The allergy alongside that first person dungeon crawlers tend to be actually require more effort to get through dungeons besides holding forward and occasionally taking a side path that leads to a dead end with a treasure chest scares the modern gamer away.

Many dungeon crawlers are not just very good.
Even Etrian Odyssey, which supposedly is peak dungeon crawler, is very braindead. For any given party, there is usually an easy to deduce flowchart of what you want to do, depending on what statuses or binds you need to use or defend against on a given boss. It's not like we're playing chess with the enemies here.
The genre is a result of technical limitations at a time. To complain about them being dead is like complaining about people not making Pac-Man clones anymore. People did make them for many years, then moved on when the concept was exhausted and technology improved. If you like the genre, just play the older games. There are plenty.

What I think might be interesting, is something like a dungeon crawler turn based RPG where you build your character/party every battle, as part of the combat mechanic. Because building your party is what's interesting about Etrian. I think this is part of the reason why certain Roguelites are popular: because you get to try new builds every game and there is much less filler content that you need to wade through to upgrade your characters.

Some dungeon crawlers will try to switch it up. Mary Skelter has some interesting mechanics in it to make it stand out a bit more than most dungeon crawlers.

anime

The Japs killed them by buying Wizardry ip.

Attached: wiz6titlady.gif (349x222, 98.52K)