Let me show you what I've learned

Let me show you what I've learned.

Attached: Frederica Triangle Strategy.png (250x250, 110.56K)

Really disappointing game. It SHOULD have been a masterpiece, but at every point it's dragged down by some utterly baffling decisions, both in story and in gameplay.

The story doesn't even get going until about halfway through and until that point it tries to tell a serious, grounded and intense story... yet it constantly shoots itself in the foot by undercutting a serious scene with the most insane, unfitting, wacky slapstick.

It's a serious and grounded fantasy world, the entire plot contrivance is about salt. It's not silly, it's not high fantasy, it's low fantasy and gritty... and yet the logic of the setting is that it's impossible to kill someone without their consent. You cannot murder, it simply doesn't exist. So the only time you ever see someone die is when they allow themselves to be killed. Who came up with that? Who approved it? Why? It's illogical, it's inane, and it absolutely destroys the narrative for the first half, and even drags down the better second half.

Gameplay is an insane slog. The slowest, stupidest, most braindead SRPG I've played forever, which finally and fully cemented for me the fact that Faction Based turns are better than Speed Based, regardless of Speed Based giving you more mechanics and abilities that can interact with it. You're always outnumbered 3:1, there's always ambush reinforcements, which means that every battle is 90% not your turn. You just sit there watching your dudes acting like sandbags getting wailed on by the enemy over and over again until you finally get to make an action.

None of that is helped by the absolutely insanely abundant status effects. They're strong, they're easy to apply and they work on almost every enemy. Normally that'd be a great thing, it adds to so many classes and options, but in TS it means that the very few turns you do get are nothing because your guys are suffering from some bevy of constantly repplied debuffs. Making the maps EVEN SLOWER.

Frederica ending should've been the canon ending, except Serenoa should've been alive too. It's the best ending sequel bait.

>yet it constantly shoots itself in the foot by undercutting a serious scene with the most insane, unfitting, wacky slapstick.
>and yet the logic of the setting is that it's impossible to kill someone without their consent. You cannot murder, it simply doesn't exist. So the only time you ever see someone die is when they allow themselves to be killed.
Okay, what is this pasta originally for?

And then you've got things like the Levelling system, where they've tried to reinvent the wheel in an effort to make the game approachable.... except what actually happens is they've abstracted the very idea of levels out to the point where they're actually meaningless. You CANNOT get stronger, you can never (or almost never) get ahead of the difficulty curve. There is exactly two positions in Triangle Strategy: In line with the difficulty curve, or behind it.

So then levels never, ever benefit you. You can't level ahead of the enemies, and you can't funnel Exp onto a few guys to make them outstandingly strong. You're either exactly on par, or you're behind par in which case you need to catch up.

"But catching up is quick and easy!" you say. Which is true, kind'a. Except, with them once again shooting themselves in the fucking foot, you have to catch up constantly, not just constantly, always. Every single map beat, you're now behind the curve and have to level up. I see people defending this by saying you just go do the next map and you'll level up by doing so, and if you lose you keep everything... and that's true, but the reality is that's just a slower version of what you actually do, which is go do the grind maps after every single story map to catch up. It's faster than repeating 2/3 of the story maps because you were too low level and got ground down by the endless swarm of enemies.

And speaking of the endless swarm of enemies, the Time to Kill is absolutely ridiculously huge. The highest I have ever, EVER seen in any SRPG. Combine that with the above bevy of status effects, the fact it's never your turn and the fact you're always outnumbered 3:1 and you can understand why every single map is such a fucking slog. You have to chip each enemy down with multiple units, it takes forever, and your units are getting slammed over and over while you do so.

Thia. The game takes itself too seriously, the only kind of funny character was the shield guy
Having a "canon" ending ruined the whole decision making aspect of the game for me honestly. I also agree that the Frederica ending was great, and so was the Benedict ending too. The other kid's was the worst ending I've seen in a while thought.

The choices (when you're past the halfway, or really, 2/3rds mark) are outstanding and the moral dilemmas are absolutely wonderful, the finale is fantastic. Except once again right when the game is reaching masterpiece territory, they shoot themselves right in the foot.

The endings are largely garbage. The best ending, somehow, is the Church one.

The Benedict one pivots on a fucking dime to tell you "The guys who've been largely helpful the whole time are UNFORGIVABLY EVIL! and the guys who killed everyone you cared about are NOT SO BAD!" and so you go help them destroy the Church and it gets ending that then concludes with this fuckweird sequence that exists just to say "Nah bro, shit sucks bro, don't be happy with this ending!" Frederica's ending is the same, it would have been a satisfying if bleak ending, but instead it needs to twist that knife, so Serenoa dies for basically no reason and here we are.

So it's all about the Golden Ending? Right? Yeah, except the Golden Ending fucking sucks because they shot themselves in the foot once again. There's two main problems with it:

>The choices you make to get it are 90% the choices you would have made on your first, blind, playthrough nayway.
>The Golden Ending is 98% the Benedict ending, just with a minor twist

It's not a pasta, I wrote that myself just now, talking about Triangle Strategy. That's the game's lore, that's the setting. Non-consensual death does not exist in TS, you can only kill someone with their consent.

>It's not a pasta, I wrote that myself just now, talking about Triangle Strategy. That's the game's lore, that's the setting. Non-consensual death does not exist in TS, you can only kill someone with their consent.
There is no wacky slapstick and lots of characters are murdered in cold blood starting with Dragan which begins the entire conflict.

The entire first half is fucking filled with wacky slapstick. And Dragan outright allowed himself to be killed.

Look at all the hundreds of times someone decides not to die, they just say "I don't want to die today" and walk off, and your army fumes and talks about how there's nothing they can do, they failed to convince the guy to let them kill him, so he's alive.

>You start the game rescuing Frederica from bandits, you attack them, scattering them and driving them away. Every single bandit lives. None of them are injured. You meet them much later and they're not only far more powerful than before but now far more powerful than you

>The big fat merchant Lord who's entire character is that he can't fight, isn't a knight and isn't fit. He isn't respected as much because he doesn't fight. You've caught him out for betraying you, he's surrounded by your entire army, your swords are pointed at him. He stands up, says "No! I don't want to die!" and walks away right past your entire force, Anna says "That fat merchant is too fast for us to catch up to". so you let him go.

>Much, much later on, when you finally convince the fat merchant to let you kill him, the serial killer bandit he's with doesn't want to die. So, again, despite being surrounded by your forces, despite having murdered countless people, despite trying to kill your people twice, and despite having just tried to murder you and the civilians of the city... He just stands up and walks away. You cannot stop him, there's nothing you can do, because he doesn't give you consent to kill him.

That's three off the top of my head, the entire first half of the game is full of that stuff, it just goes on and on and on. The entire final map for the Church ending is convincing Dragan's father to let you kill him.

Thanks for the writeup user. I was about to ask for opinions.
I was looking for an RPG with a good story and characters and was considering this one.
Could anyone else chime in and share their thoughts on those aspects in TS?

>The entire first half is fucking filled with wacky slapstick
No it isn't. I don't know which game you've played.

>And Dragan outright allowed himself to be killed.
No he didn't. The rest of your post applies to every single rpg ever where villains can only die when the story demands it. Either you make a throwaway henchman for every single battle in the early and midgame, or you have to be able to face the main antagonists multiple times.

I just wish the hard mode had been more than just giving every enemy a billion hp and having them 2 shot your tanky units. Supersoldier mode is not fun because it leads to you having to cheese the endgame maps to stand a chance. Just like other user said, you can't even get ahead of the level curve to deal with this with your own hyper units.

I honestly enjoyed the story, having your decisions affect how everything plays out is awesome. The endings are polarizing, you'll either hate or love them. Also like said, avoid hard mode unless you want to cheese the AI instead of fighting the enemies

SRPGs are bad at letting villains live, no other SRPG makes it part of the lore that they outright need to give their consent to be killed. At least, no other SRPG I've seen.

It's a grounded, serious, low level story... that suddenly has a fat merchant push through 100 swordsman and go "I'm not dying today!" and you're told there's nothing anyone can do about it. You attack a group of rapebandits, and not a single one dies. None of the unnamed generic NPCs are killed. Not a single fucking one of them die when you ambush them from behind to free the girls they're trying to kidnap. It's farcical. That's not "Keeping the villains alive", they're not characters, and Bruno is never seen again after you let him go.

Your characters don't kill either the characters or the unnamed generic faceless NPCs because non-consensual killing is not possible in Triangle Strategy.

My final thoughts are that I'm not calling it bad. It's just not great. It's good, but it's not as good as it should be. At every point in the game I was being frustrated by a litany of bad decisions and it seriously affected the enjoyment.

I'll say it right now, from a *purely mechanical perspective*, the single best SRPG in existence is Banner of Maid. The story falls apart a bit at the end, but the mechanics are absolutely fucking perfect. If Triangle Strategy took it's cues from Banner of Maid, it would have been a much, much better game.

If you're looking purely for story, Xenoblade Chronicles 1, 2 and 3 are the single best JRPG trilogy I've ever played, possibly the best trilogy in all gaming, so that'd be my recommendation.

Attached: 1521111497765.png (676x505, 270.93K)

>If you're looking purely for story, Xenoblade Chronicles 1, 2 and 3 are the single best JRPG trilogy I've ever played, possibly the best trilogy in all gaming, so that'd be my recommendation.
Here I was replying to you seriously until now.

Abysmal translation and EN voice acting if that matters to you.
Characters tend to either be completely bland slices of bread, or sanctamonius cunts, like the girl in OP's pic.
Story dies by a thousand cuts, despite good ideas.

>The absolute typical "I'll say your tastes are bad to dismiss you!" Any Forums opinion

Attached: 1526641619942.jpg (1080x793, 119.36K)

Dragan gets killed, Symon (Serenoa's father) is assassinated, you LITERALLY murder Patriatte while he's screeching not to be killed (he deserved it), and there's others I'm sure.
The game uses the "killing is bad mmkay and our main heroes avoid it as much as possible". Whch yea is a bit naive and it's a frustrating trend in MANY games, shows and movies. Sometimes kiling is justified and necessary. But what can you do.

Could it have been grittier? Sure. Do people often get away alive after you fought them because the plot demands it? Absolutely. But you're either exaggerating or being deliberately dishonest just to shit on the game by saying NOBODY DIES EVER.

Your most legitimate complaints here are about the gameplay, which I felt was the weakest part of the whole game. I for once really enjoyed it, and I wish Square would make more shit like this and refine their formula.

>like the story
>get to the end
>let one country cuck you
>let another country cuck you
>give up and go live in huts somewhere

I took the last option just cause it didn't involve being anyone's bitch but it was still such a shitty ending that I lost any motivation to replay it for the true end.

Kino combat and design, tho

Don't mind me, just posting the best girl in Triangle Strategy.

Attached: annakyute.png (1609x1331, 3.72M)

actually, shit, I just remembered the ending I picked didn't involve living in some shit hole because you die anyway

man fuck this game

I loved genderbent Thorfinn

>Dragan doesn't survive in the Golden Ending
>he didn't just wake up from a coma or something
Bros...

>Dragan gets killed
He was shocked by the assassination attempt, lost motivation and let himself be killed
>Symon (Serenoa's father) is assassinated
Actually the opposite. You've forgotten. They TRY assassinate him and what happens? It doesn't work. He doesn't want to die, so he lives on and fights with you for that entire map, until he's done and then dies from his disease.
>The game uses the "killing is bad mmkay and our main heroes avoid it as much as possible".
They literally talked about executing Silvio, Benedict is not "We shouldn't kill guys!!!" that's absolutely not his character. Neither is Anna. But Benedict couldn't kill Silvio because Silvio didn't want to die. So both Benedict and Anna just stand there helplessly while Silvio stands up, pushes the sword away from his neck and walks through 100 soldiers to run off "Too fast to catch".
>Do people often get away alive after you fought them because the plot demands it?
Silvio and Bruno say hi. How did the plot demand Silvio live when he did nothing after elbowing through 100 soldiers to escape? How did it demand Bruno live when he never showed up again. How did the plot demand Maxwell live? What about Avlora on a non Golden route? They both say "I don't want to die" and thus they don't.
>But you're either exaggerating or being deliberately dishonest just to shit on the game by saying NOBODY DIES EVER.
I didn't say nobody died. I said nobody ever died without consent, which is true and is part of the game's lore. I also complained that it tries to tell a serious story and constantly shoots itself in the foot with wacky slapstick coming back to "nobody can die unless they agree to", which is again true.

Attached: 1614195103394.jpg (640x480, 44.38K)

with this aestetic I think they should have released this game during fall, I wasn't interested in it in spring but now it picks my interest.

Piques