Do you like invincibility frames in your games

do you like invincibility frames in your games

Attached: file.png (1280x720, 1.14M)

No they are a bad mechanic

Maybe take a harder look at the games you like as they indeniably have the mechanic.

Why were people mad that you had to spec to a build of your liking in an RPG with stats

Nope. They simplify the game into just hitting the iframe button at the right time. I had more fun with 2 not leveling adp than i had with any other souls game. You actually had to know which moves you could dodge right or left against, position and space yourself away from attacks, you were encouraged to parry more. The guard reduction on my weapons was actually something I looked at if I ever needed to block and couldn't dodge away from an attack it was important to know what was better at blocking. The game was way more satisfying and fun to play this way. If it's just enough to give a little edge in your favor, but not so much that gameplay is just iframes I think that's fine. 5 is completely doable. The only problem comes from when you're stubbornly trying to iframe through attacks. But it's easy to adjust your playstyle and play around that when you know iframeing isn't the end all be all.

Dodging should minimize your hitbox, not make it disappear. Phasing through a 10 ton sword looks fucking retarded in games with "grounded" combat

iframes are a shallow braindead mechanic and i'll never forgive this retard fanbase being so conditioned to them. What happened to just stepping or rolling out of the way to avoid getting hit? Makes more sense to me. Now we have enemies that are 20 hit twirling tracking spaz's because it's the only way the player will ever get hit by anything.

Because it is a noob trap. Adaptability raises another stat called Agility which increases your I-frames.
'Adaptability' is a very vague term for a stat. Vigor and endurance are much easier to understand for example.
A lot of new players played the entire game without leveling ADP and some boss fights genuinely have undodgeable attacks with the base value of the stat.

fippybippy

They're alright on their own, but designing your entire game after them is a very bad idea.

Basically this, game doesn't communicate properly what the stat does.
>why was this changed
Who fucking knows, it's obviously not a great idea. Bad for PvE because it slows down levelling, bad for PvP because you have no idea how many iframes your opponent has access to at any time (rolls are visually indistinct between high and low ADP).

Dark Souls 3 had a similar debacle about poise on launch, except they just moved poise from passive to active only in order to encourage active play. Clear reasoning (in hindsight) that, for better or worse, forced a lot of DS1/2 shitters to git gud. ADP either made you worse at the game (by maxxing it ASAP and thus crutching yourself) or effectively under leveled.

it looks retarded when you clip through an enemy's attack because of it

>some boss fights genuinely have undodgeable attacks with the base value of the stat.
This isn't true. Even at 3 adp you can dodge away from everything, or even iframe through it with good enough timing. Unless it's something that's obviously not dodgeable that you have to run away from. There's one class that starts with 3 adp. And he has a bow that you can use to just keep at distance with. It's less reliant on iframes if you're playing right. And that's even assuming you go through the whole game not once raising agility which just isn't realistic or applicable to 99% of people who played the game. There's a jump from 5 iframes to 8. And while 5 might be challenging 8 is completely doable in this game. Only one other class has 5 iframes aat the start which is the cleric and players using magic are upgrading attunement. Which raises agility. Not as much as adp, but enough for a spell caster whose keeping distance to get by.

Well something else that looks retarded is getting hit by a weapon that never touches you.

>Even at 3 adp you can dodge away from everything, or even iframe through it with good enough timing
That might be true for the early game fights with low tracking like Pursuer, but I find it hard to imagine that you can just position against lategame + DLC bosses like Fume Knight.
The hitbox simply lasts longer than your I-frames and the attack tracks you, there is just no getting around that in my opinion.

no
the increasing focus on them have ruined modern monster hunter
having a roll that could barely go through a roar was okay, having all of the shit there is now is too much

Look up the -45sl runs. People are able to dodge just fine.

There was nothing wrong with ADP. I can't remember how powerful shields were in DS2, but they should've buffed so everyone wouldn't feel that they HAVE to increase their ADP.

>there is just no getting around that in my opinion.
There is but you're doing it for the challenge at that point. It's not realistic that anyone is late game with 3 adp, and or, not using a shield build. With a shield you obviously dont need the iframes anyway and because you didn't put points into adp it's pretty easy to get your endurance over a 100 and strength up to 40 and withstand all the attacks with a great shield and shit tons of stamina. Plust there's gear to reduce stamina consumption on block. That's what I like about this game is all the ways you can play it.

they're a cope mechanic but they allow souls bosses to have flashy movesets, a sekiro situation would be better

No, it looks fucking stupid

Here's what I don't like about specs in Souls games: you have the ones that are too good dominating over everybody else. Of you forget about the idiots that will go out of their way to finish a run leveling up the shitty stats, the rest of the world (if they have the information) will always level up the strong stats. On that case, where's the fucking strategy? What's the fucking point of leveling up all this trash if these other stats are very good? Other than trying to fullfil a stupid challenge the community has come up with, there's no point.

You play different builds for the fun of it. I know for me it's fun to "role play" a character that actually has weaknesses and strengths you have to play around. If I want to play the ultimate sorcerer character I'm not gonna level up STR because it would break character so he's gonna be stuck with the dagger the whole playthrough. Even if it's not the meta it's fun to play the game in different ways. Some playstyles or builds are just gonna be easier or better than others by nature. That's every rpg with stats that's ever been made.