How come Half-Life 1 is the one that revolutionized story-telling in FPS games when this game did not only the same...

How come Half-Life 1 is the one that revolutionized story-telling in FPS games when this game did not only the same (scripted story setpieces in gameplay) but also generally had more "story" than Half-Life 1?

Attached: GoldenEye007box.jpg (300x206, 68.45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/aGH4gTnTsNQ
youtube.com/watch?v=LQhX8PbNUWI
youtube.com/watch?v=Fp4CR2HcHLQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Attached: CHL3IaGUwAAGZTJ.jpg (478x604, 51.55K)

The addition of voice acting instead of subtitles, and Quake 2-style seamless transitions instead of book-ending cutscenes left a huge impression. However, GoldenEye was a significant influence on Half-Life, and its release in August of 1997 was a factor in why HL1's original version was scrapped and the game was pushed back a year.

I thought Half Life was mostly a tech demo shooter? Why are people claiming that HL has a good "story"?

Gamers don't care about James Bond because its a book series.

>I thought
That's where you made your first mistake.

I have never heard someone say that Half-Life 1 revolutionized story in video games

retard

HL1 didn't actually revolutionize FPS. It just did previous ideas well/better in one go.

>1 connected map with no cutscenes or level ends
Quake 2 and Unreal came first in the same year.

>Elaborate mapping and scripting
Duke Nukem 3D (all build games), Quake, rec

>Story
Marathon had readable computers with lots of lore. Dark Forces had cutscenes. GoldenEye had in-game cutscenes and dialogue.

Attached: 1560673223283.jpg (1413x1219, 861.46K)

>tech demo
There's that term again, used by someone who has no fucking idea what they're talking about

Attached: 1324429418703.png (757x564, 279.36K)

>scripted story setpieces in gameplay in goldeneye
like what?

>GoldenEye had in-game cutscenes
watching an npc "talk" without interrupting gameplay is not even close to what half-life did

I dunno but Frigate is the hardest price of video game music ever composed

youtu.be/aGH4gTnTsNQ

>alec facility death
>statue revalation
>natalya train rescue and escape
>boris bunker 1 setpiece
>natalya bunker 2 escape
>boris "i am invincible" setpiece
>caverns alec chase

A game can be BOTH a tech demo, and a full fledged standalone game.
More extreme example include games like Conduit 1 & 2.

Attached: unreal-1.jpg (1920x1440, 287.52K)

name me one golden eye fan that isnt mentally ill

youtube.com/watch?v=LQhX8PbNUWI
fucking grant

youtube.com/watch?v=Fp4CR2HcHLQ

Almost all major games on the PC back then were showing off what they could do because graphical fidelity was evolving at a rapid pace. This tech demo nonsense is out of control, Any Forums has no clue what that term means. It's meant to be short and barebones and to show off what the engine can do in small time frame.
If you want a good example of a tech demo, it's .Dr. Klieners lab in Half-Life 2's 2002 E3 demo. In it, you got to see the facial animation, the complexity of the models, the lightning and the early use of physics.

Goldeneye has clearly defined levels where you reach the end and then are transported to the next level. In Half Life you actually travel from chapter to chapter making it feel like more of an uninterrupted journey.

>Implying all of half life 2 isnt just a glorifed tech demo
you must be 18 or older to use this website

Retard

Attached: 1517461086019.jpg (750x730, 32.87K)