Why hardcore games always find a way to screw themselves up...

Why hardcore games always find a way to screw themselves up? Kingdom Come: Deliverance screwed themselves with saving for in-game currency, as a result they couldn't make realistic damage system and were forced to use a health bar, which in turn goes against the whole concept of the game. Men of War completely destroy own opportunity to become a mainstream just because developers decided to add to the realistic tactics the worst third-person shooter mode ever existed that cannot be ignored, what the fuck were they thinking? Arma has problems with AI that absolutely does not know how to use fortifications, but it has absolutely ridiculous accuracy that destroys the entire atmosphere of realism, many wargames do not give the player the opportunity to do reconnaissance and have a very stupid AI that often makes the single game uninteresting, survival often has bugs over the top, and so on and so on. This is some kind curse.

Attached: ccsplashlogo.jpg (643x598, 156.14K)

Cortex Command is one of my favorite games of all time and it deserved much better

It's a pity that the developers decided to cripple the game by adding dead weight in the form of collecting resources and tactics with stupid AI that kills itself.

I don't mind collecting resources too much, I like that it adds a grand war feel to it. Could've been executed better for sure though. Also this game is directly responsible for noita, another game I love, so that's cool

Fuck I love that game. Too bad the AI was never functional

Collecting resources causes nothing but frustration, I don't know why developers don't want to make a single shooter on the engine. Or an online pvp game, the current state of the game is clearly not interesting to the majority, and even those who play this game just tolerate it than enjoy it.

I died or had to run away plenty of times in Kingdom come. And I saved almost exclusively at inns. What do you mean the damage system had to be gimped by the saves?

Also, give an example of a wargame where you can't do recon. I'm curious

thank god that dev is bankrupt, what a fucking scam cortex was, literally stopped all development and just added user mods. Then abandoned the game entirely to release some shitty janky rehash of the game that flopped.

>how not being able to save for 3 hours doesn't allow developers to make every hit potentially fatal and cause bleeding
You can't be that dumb, can you?

>3 hours

That's on you if your expeditions into the world last for too long.

>Crab nukes you

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1200x720, 165.7K)

Is it still in the game? Yes. Combat system not realistic? Yes. Is the reason for this because an player cannot use save before combat? Yes. Does it spoil the feel of a real-world rpg and make the game less enjoyable for no reason? Absolutely yes.

For me, it's making a rocket fly around the map so fast that it makes the camera break trying to keep up until an enemy dropship spawns and it crashes into it at mach 1 causing the game to freeze and chug for like a minute while it simulates all the fucking parts shredding the ground up while all the explosion/shrapnel noises play at the same time

despite how jank cortex command is, the gameplay and goofy ass physics were in-fucking-credible
moments like , or when you kill the main body of a drop ship and its active thrusters fly off and completely obliterate some poor shmuck by pure chance will always have a place
a shame that planetoid pioneers was such an epic fail, financially and gameplay wise.
good tech, dogshit game

I can't even think of a game with frequent quicksaving that is particularly realistic in its damage. Kcd isn't the end all of realism in games anyway. It has a slightly different yet fairly normal video game combat system with damage to boot.
I don't think they would have made it deadlier with more saving.
I'd even say that to make a deadly game, with frequent saving takes away some of the point of the deadliness. I'd rather have the adventure be compromised, have to retreat or restart from a better point than 2 seconds ago. Sure some games have you mashing quickload in combat. And that should be a bad thing

All realism arguments always devolve into "but X isn't realistic so it must blah blah" and I'll still say it. Having most fights be a whole 2 seconds long a la Hellish Quart would likely be a poor fit in a large open world game either way. Turning it into said quickload masher

Sell me on Cortex Command. The concept art looks neat but I have no idea what the game is about.

Attached: de_rol_le.png (632x632, 30.32K)

I still remember buying it from Humble Bundle. I had pirated it earlier. Being given the chance to buy it at discount was so great. 2011 = best year.

It's the best bunker building game where you are a brain in a jar (sometimes on a robot). And try to defend your bunker while assaulting the enemy bunker. In a violent falling sand kind of physics 2d shooter.

In campaign where damage and corpses are saved between turns. Upgrading your bunkers while seeing previous battle damage and heaps of corpses is really neat too

>Also, give an example of a wargame where you can't do recon
Warhammer 40000 Armageddon, Wargame: Red Dragon, 5-Star General, ets.

Haven't played the first and last. But what the fuck do you mean you can't do recon in Red Dragon? You even have dedicated recon units with better spotting and stealth. You can always recon in force and send a probe.
Given that, I'm guessing you can actually do recon in the other two as well.
What do you mean with recon if Warfames' version isn't it?

campaign and world domination is dog shit, ignore it, the scenario mode is where its at
sorta like noita, everything is destructible but every unit and animated thing is also physics based, dropship thrusters actually thrust and soldiers can lose their footing and slip
naturally, this turns even the most mundane of gun fights into charnel houses were after awhile everyone is hiding behind mountains of corpses and blasted craters
its very jank, but very fun
give it a pirate 'cause i think the devs are totally dead

>I can't even think of a game with frequent quicksaving that is particularly realistic
Any game without perma-death isn't realistic, but some things are just too much.
>Kcd isn't the end all of realism in games anyway.
Just ignore when your character gets hit in the face with a sharp sword and doesn't bleed, it's not an important part of the game. This also leads to a situation where most of the armor in the game simply reduces damage instead of forcing the player to aim for gaps or use armor-piercing weapons. And yes, it's also not realistic and it counts because the main character is a knight, if we were playing as a non-combatant, then the bad combat system could be ignored, but the hero is a warrior, for fuck's sake.
>Having most fights be a whole 2 seconds long a la Hellish Quart would likely be a poor fit in a large open world game either way.
Fights in Hellish Quart so deadly because characters have no armor. Surprise surprise, retard, an armor in real life works, and works very well.

Attached: main-qimg-eda47ba27b272687364d5bc9b471d37b.gif (480x368, 3.77M)

Sacrificing a combat unit to bait enemy fire is not a proper way to do recon. And the problem of the Red Dragon is that there are not enough reconnaissance units per mission.