Boomers, what were arcades like?

Boomers, what were arcades like?
What was your favorite arcade game?

Attached: Retrovolt_Arcade_2017_-_Arcade_Machines_1.jpg (4032x3024, 3.58M)

Unless you live in Japan, arcades really aren’t anything special.

Attached: 6A64C752-5D15-4B58-97BE-297BEF524278.jpg (1024x768, 275.21K)

Cool
>at arcade as a kid playing skii ball with some random dude bro
>says he has to go but gives me an arcade card
>turns out the thing had like 200 dollars in tokens
Same arcade
>asian girls want to play against me at killer instinct
>one picks the flame dude and pulverizes me
>both of them look at eachother and say something in their language and giggle while pointing down at me
This memory ruined my life

You don't have a Round1 near you?

fond memories of always playing MvC2 and CvS2 with crowds watching like a mini-fgc

I used to go to Chuck E Cheese specifically for the arcade (and pizza). I played the shit out of Turtles in Time and House of the Dead (yes, my CEC had that for some reason, probably for the babysitters or adults).

Attached: 1659020723325181.jpg (1200x1745, 249.98K)

Its kind of like a movie theater for games. You can watch a movie at home but there its bigger and louder and special. And until gen 6 most games ported to home consoles weren't at their full power.

My favorite arcade game ever is kind of a normie answer but it is NBA Jam. I can still play that today and have a blast. NFL Blitz too.

I always enjoyed DarkStalkers, VF2/3, SF2, Daytona, SF Rush, etc., you know the usuals. Light gun games too, even the shitty ones like Revolution X and Area 51 were fun with a friend.

I'm too young to have been to arcades in the 80s but they were pretty cool in the 90s because there were a lot of games you just couldn't replicate at home. Police 911 was a lightgun game where you actually had to duck and weave your body to hide behind cover and dodge bullets. There was a space shooter that took place on a huge moving platform that would lean and turn with the motions of your ship, can't remember the name. Star Wars Episode 1 Racer had handles for each engine just like the podracers in the movie. Those were good times.

Most arcades in the US that I've been to since 2005-ish are pretty lame. Some arcades are just a bunch of beat up, sad-looking 80's cabs but most are just kind of boring lightgun games that feel quaint given what we can do at home now. I haven't been to a Round 1 in the US but I'd really like to because I know they have rhythm games. I've been to Sega, Taito and Round 1 in Japan and that's the real shit.

If you live in the northeast US I do recommend going to FunSpot at some point.

Attached: IMG_2349.jpg (3264x2448, 2.14M)

It depends, the one I usually went had the underage area and the adults area. In the former you'd even find chicks here and there, usually with their bfs; in the later it was silent hill's fog levels of smoking

There is an awesome mega arcade in the city where I live. It has classics and tons of people go to it. Truly based.

not unlike this

Attached: MnYI.gif (356x140, 591.64K)

What game was Budnik playing?

Favourite games in the late 80's/early 90's were Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, WWF WrestleFest, The Simpsons, Superman, Asterix, Moonwalker. In the late 90's I played Daytona USA, Star Wars Trilogy, Time Crisis 2, Crazy Taxi

They wanted you user. You missed your shot and now you'll be a virgin forever.

I have been to a couple arcades and they are actually pretty good. They have a wide variety of games and the machines are well-maintained. They are busy places, including on like, Friday night, and it feels like the arcade days of old honestly. And these aren’t barcades either.

I was born in 91 and have never been to an arcade or a blockbuster.

Don't think I've been to an actual arcade, but several places in my city had arcade machines back in the day.
-Showcase Cinema (R.I.P)
-Fun Factory (R.I.P)
-Kings Island

In the UK Arcade Club is the best I'm aware of. Went to one couple years ago and had a fucking blast.
Paid to get in and everything was free to play. They have ones in Manchester, Leeds and one opened in Blackpool(EUGH)
Wish they'd open on in Scotland somewhere like Edinburgh, my ass would travel there often.

Growing up, there was this hobby place of sorts a few blocks from where I lived that had a sizable arcade section on top of tabletop and early 90s bootleg Jap stuff. I used to go there on a regular basis with my sister, mainly to get away from the house, but also because they frequently put on tournaments and competitions with prizes.
Everyone who frequented the place knew each other by name and there was a definite sense of community. It's a God damn shame that the owner's bitch of a wife, more or less, sold it out from under him when he was hospitalized.

Attached: but soon, not even laughter was enough.png (1024x576, 783.04K)

that hokuto no ken arcade where you punched the 6 plastic things
tekken
time crisis
house of the dead
point blanc