Are you a storyfag or a gameplayfag?

Are you a storyfag or a gameplayfag?
Why?
I used to be a gameplayfag but recently (about 3 years ago) I became a storyfag. I just can't be bothered to play a game that doesn't have a satisfying story. Tetris might be the best game ever made but I don't give two shits about it because it doesn't have a story.
This is not to say that I disregard gameplay entirely. It's just an interesting, egnaging or fun story is a must, preferably with choices that influence the outcome. Otherwise I won't bother. But if it's just story and no gameplay then I don't like it either because I don't generally like movies.

Attached: 1659530497331075.jpg (720x720, 113.25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=5DBhoTzsBsE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You need both to make a great game.

Gameplay is king for me. I don't give a shit about story. If a game isn't fun to play, why would I play it? If it's the best story of all time I'll just watch someone else play it on YouTube instead of buying it.

Story exists merely as a vehicle to push the gameplay along. I feel like the stupider it is the better because video games stories are terrible when they take themselves too seriously like they're written by some failed screenwriter.

Became less of a storyfag over time. Playing through Kingdoms of Amular for the first time, for example. In the past, I'd read every line of dialogue like a fag.

there isn't a single good videogame with a good story

Strangers of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin

I'm too old to enjoy one without the other

bad bait

Multiplayerfag here, how’s everyone?

>LE TETRIS... IS THE BEST GAME EVUR
Litmus test for people who don't actually enjoy video games.

maybe more storyfag overall.
of it's any longer game, then there better be interesting story.
but if it's small game. i don't know 3 hours mario platformer or something. then might as well not have story.
those usually end before the gameplay itself gets old. when in longer games the gameplay generally starts to feel boring at some point so story helps keeping it still interesting

Between both and depending on my mood.
I like games with gameplay, but i don't mind a game thats basically a book novel from time to time if im interested.
Wheter any of those games are shit, uncompleted, or run on a spaguetti shit code, its another matter.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=5DBhoTzsBsE

Attached: 16-53-06-executioner.jpg (830x535, 258.81K)

'Story' is far too simple/restricted a descriptor. Gameplay is of foremost importance but everything else is what elevates it to a treasured experience. Worldbuilding, ambiance, aesthetic, dialogue, plot, themes, music, etc. The strength of games is the strength of every other medium but enhanced by participating in it. Where it becomes fuzzy is 'gameplay' consisting of choices, as CYOA is a valid genre with meaningful interactivity not based around traditional action/turn-based/adventure gameplay.

I knew a hardcore storyfag who wouldn't even play the games, he'd just watch videos and post on Twitter about it. He argued that story is the most important part of any video game, which I pointed out was bullshit because games like Tetris exist and are infinitely more fun to play than the latest movie game or walking sim #3000. If I want a good story, I'll watch a movie.

Let me guess, you like Kubrick movies.

Balance is good.

Its hard to quantify. I'd say I'm more of a story/character orientated person but to say I don't care about mechanics wouldn't be true.

In general for me the more layers of obfuscation between me and developing a personal connection with the player character is what matters. A very niche example would be how the UI in Tales Of Arise is extremely minimalist with almost no character-centric elements, compared to Abyss or Vesperia where its obnoxiously character focused which I love. Even the lack of the party stopping to do win poses in Arise kinda bummed me out.

Another would be that despite being beloved classics I could never get into the old dragon quest games cause I cannot stand not having a permanent visual connection with the party. I want to actually see them in front of and engaging the monsters. How good the game is stops mattering to me at that point.

Idk how else to explain it really, but yeah the more visual and mechanical elements that get between me and the people I'm controlling the less I want to play.

Good Game can carry a mediocre story
Good story can carry a mediocre game
Bad either drags down the good other
Everything needs to be 6/10 at a minimum, but one of them needs to be at least 8/10.

If you break down the story aspect into smaller aspects that make up the whole story, there are some exceptions.
Bad storytelling can be ignored if it can be skipped without detriment so you can focus on the good game.
Bad plot and lore can also be overlooked if smaller elements like characters and moment-to-moment scenes are still good. Retarded shit can be waved away if the characters are at least cool and provide good content on the journey. The opposite, not so much.
An interesting world and environments are more important than the plot, and as important as interesting characters since the two often go hand-in-hand in their designs.

A bad game can not make up for even the best story.

>storyfag or a gameplay fag or a graphics fag
I have this revolutionary stance that, if a game costs 60 million dollars to make, and then has another 150 million spent on its advertising campaign, and asks me for 70$ as a purchasing price, that I expect not only the gameplay to be enjoyable, but for the writing to be interesting/funny/good while telling a solid story, and for the graphics to be appropriately pleasant regardless of whether it's AAA cutting-edge realism or cartoony stylishness.

People like you who settle for accepting that only one aspect is allowed to be good and give devs a pass when the others are shit is what gets us a 'don't you guys have phones?' attitude from the people wanting our money.

There isn't a single good videogame with good gameplay.