What’s the difference between real time with pause and turn based?

What’s the difference between real time with pause and turn based?

Attached: 845B5866-92C9-444C-963A-1D41C2E06F6E.jpg (1920x1080, 2.05M)

>Turn based
>Real time with cringe

>Actual combat with the ability to stop and make tactical decisions
vs
>Taking 10 minutes to watch every spiders individual movements before you can act again
No contest, it's amazing we even have WRPGs with turn based combat after Dragon Age Origins came out, and speaks to the depths of depravity that RPG Codex fags will go to in order to continue reliving their adolescences.

Attached: 1437360570792-0.gif (500x281, 997.59K)

Real time with pause expects you to play it like a turn based even when combat feels more fluid when you play it like an RTS and just give general orders and positioning

My dick in your ass

In RTWP you get to decide when the turns begin/end.

yeah i can understand the utility for a single big boss battle but i tried playing wastelands 2 and every fight was just pure agony to suffer through because of how fucking long it took.

How do you folks feel about real time with time dilation? In my mind I keep wanting to make a game like Guild Wars 1 as a single-player CRPG but controlling too many heroes at a time can be more hectic than is actually enjoyable. inb4 dilate

Attached: 2022-04-27 00-53-30.webm (690x526, 2.06M)

RTwP is a shit system that was only ever created because Bioware wanted to ride on the popularity of RTS games at the time of BG1 despite adapting a turn-based d20 system. It is the worst of all possible options and has never been any good, and now finally its going the way of the dodo with devs being forced to face the reality that the vast majority of players prefer turn-based.

If you have to rely on that sort of shitty bandaid fix for your game to function then you should just go back to the drawing board and come up with something entirely differently that actually functions correctly for the concept you're trying to pull off.

>how fucking long it took.
I don't have any webms of Wasteland 2 but for the most part combat turns play out like this

Attached: 2022-08-06 23-30-12.webm (920x516, 2.98M)

You retards should try playing games with actual designed encounters and not just endless trash with a shitty turn-based mod thrown on top.

Why even have turns at this point? You're just beating on ragdolls. If it was real time the enemies that you don't shoot down right away would at least be able to PRETEND to threaten you.

I hope you didn't post this as a good example, user.

Guild Wars 1 was real time with no pause and you controlled up to 8 characters with time-sensitive abilities (ie counterspells etc)

middle of the road pleases no one
either just make it turned based or make it work in real time

Any game like that gets "strategy" tagged onto the genre somewhere. There are no turn based RPGs with "actual designed encounters and not just endless trash" it's all shit like

Yeah, and they made it work without any shitty "fixes" like time dilation or pause because a lot of what heroes could do was automated, and automated very well. Your example of counterspells was one of the things that hero AI was the best at, much more reliable than player reactions even.

Any time a turn-based game lets you make more than 1 action per turn it turns to shit

Attached: 2022-07-25 00-17-42.webm (640x360, 2.86M)

The few games I know that tried that eventually gave up and just threw in a hidden pause feature

Action economy, especially apparent in a game like Pillars where action recovery (i.e. speed) is tied to a stat.

How many games where action economy is tied to a stat have it as anything other than the best stat?

Holy fuck, is the player under some kind of late game haste effect or is the entire game like this?

Hard West 2 has a system where if you kill an enemy your actions get refreshed or something

The only recent game of the sort that kind of pulls it off are the Shadowrun games. They'll have at most 5 fights per area, all with an accompanying set piece or non-combat actions that need to be taken to resolve the situation, such as hacking computers to open doors and the like.

It's surprisingly decently balanced, some classes prefer stats that let them sustain effects or offer additional range.

I'm still pissed about Hong Kong having no very hard mode like its predecessor did

Shadow Run games are honestly the most fun I've had with the crpg and/or tactics genre outside of XCOM2

Dragonfall is easily the best. Hong Kong was too text heavy and didn't have nearly as much combat

>divinity players
Yoo this shit is rad!

it can be okay in limited contexts like later FF's red mage. Double cast lets you use 2 spells in a single turn but they only have weaker spells compared to other classes. It's only when you get uncapped restore actions on kill and other silly shit does it get to be a problem.

god I just fucking hate divinity and its success