Was it worth it?

As I sit here alone playing video games all night to get on a night schedule for work, I've taken time to reflect on how many hours of video games I played in my life time. Thousands. Thousands of hours I've wasted, mostly playing by myself. Somehow, I've managed to keep the drive going to finish medical school and start a family with a wife who doesn't play video games. I have been a fucking doctor for a few years now, generally scoring in the top 10 percent on exams and I still look back on all the hours I've wasted that could have resulted in me having a business a degree, a masters degree, millions of dollars, or just be a better doctor. It's actually saddening when I think about how much time I continue to waste on videos games. There's no real sense of accomplishment. I do things in games because I tell myself I have to, but there's ultimately nothing truly worthwhile. So I am now sitting here wondering if it was all worth it. Was it a necessity to get to where I am today? Did it keep me sane? Did it keep me from being depressed?

How do you cope with wasting such a huge portion of your life?

Attached: 4535662434252523.jpg (700x500, 128.19K)

i ain't reading all that

>i ain't reading all that

>How do you cope with wasting such a huge portion of your life on video games?

sounds like a you problem honestly, i don't feel like i wasted time

>wasting
If you had fun then it's not a waste. If you're not having fun then quit, or play something else.

it’s not that that deep man, it’s media.

Whether you’re actively realizing it or not media influences the way you think, and gives you dopamine. Odds are you actually WOULDN’T be where you are without games since you obviously used them as your media of choice to de-stress in your off time, and believe in having a career and wife. Stories about bonds, human relations, heroics, victory, as a human you pick the pieces you like from media and mold them into your own ideals.

Now that’s not to say video games inherently build a person for success or can’t be a problem if not moderated well, but that can be said for anything. You are what you eat, mentally too. And whether it was a way to digest new thoughts, unwind, bond with others, etc, video games play a part in the culmination of your experiences that play a part in making you who you are.

Faggot

I don't care at all
I enjoyed it. What purpose is life if not for my enjoyment?
When im old and gray ill probably still be playing them.
On my death bed memories will flash before my eyes of good times as a kid playing Animal Crossing and Pokemon Sapphire

move on from the shift work user. it's not worth the cost to your health, get a 9-5.
t. worked shifts for 8 years

Every time i try to do something else besides vidya i end up buying drugs or hurting myself. I would rather be home

you're a faggot stoner then.

I'm just finishing off my training. I have 10 weeks of nights left over the next 2 years and I will never have to do another night again.

That's actually helpful. Thank you user.

life is wasted by default, there's no real reason to be alive, if you accumulate money and do not spend it - or if you kick back and spend your time on a hobby, it's all for not, you cannot take it with you.

Attached: tv.jpg (950x408, 71.32K)

Couldn't go to college or university? It is hard to find time and money when all your time and money is spent on working

Nvm. Doctor kid from rich family. No wonder your social skills are top notch

I grew up lower middle class and am a first generation doctor.

You must understand that working all the time isn’t healthy. Everyone needs to take breaks to avoid burnout. If video games help you relax and recuperate, then there is some benefit to them. Once they seem like a chore and you feel like you HAVE to play them, you’ve gone too far

I just play PvP games now. Im tired of wasting my time (and money) on single player games. I focus on one multiplayer game nowadays. I love the adrenaline of dunking on kids in Apex. Ive been a nightshift psych RN for 3 years now.

"Wasting time," what even is that? What a strange thing to say to someone. Time is wasted. What the fuck is that? I know someone who said he wasted his time doing x when he could've done y, but I'm certain doing y would've gotten him fucking murdered. What a luxury is must be to claim time can be wasted.

Your life is only yours. Everyone is gonna die, everyone's time is limited, no one will ever do everything they want, everyone have to choose. Just try to enjoy things while you breath, eat, cum, because once you dead it's over.

oh sorry i just read that you're a doctor, you obviously don't need people telling you about the negative effects. be wary though that i lot of people i've worked with have tricked themselves into thinking they're fine with it, that it's not impacting their life, but then 100% of the time when these people move on to a normal schedule, they realise what they'd been missing out on.
also, would you recommend going back to study medicine to become a doctor? i'm 30 and already have a unique, respected and enjoyable STEM job but i kinda want to be a medfag

Sounds like a you problem, boomers wasted 1000s of hours watching shows and movies, just another medium to consume and enjoy. Just ask yourself do you care about optimizing your life and enjoy being the best at everything you do? If not then you are content in where you are and should just relax until other obstacles in life come along to challenge you further and help you grow.