A ps2 game is unironically more impressive than most modern titles

>A ps2 game is unironically more impressive than most modern titles

Honestly, isn't this kind of embarrassing?

Attached: 422e554_hq.jpg (782x914, 84.15K)

You can go back to a lot of PS2 titles and they still trump today's games. It makes no sense, the industry has been going backwards for years.

ok boomer

nes games are even better

SotC is a technical masterpiece on many levels, the AI alone and how it's unscripted, the animation work, the fact you control Wander and not the horse itself when riding like in every other game, truly ambitious game
RE4 is another good example, really punching above its weight, still feels like it has more content and variety than many modern games, tons of attention to detail too; it's too big of a game for the remake to not cut a lot of shit

Attached: re4 cinegrid.jpg (3264x1835, 3.04M)

yes it is

This is what you get for supporting micro transactions.

The industry has not been innovating for a decade at least. The few devs that tried something new failed miserably, with very few exceptions in the indie world (outer wilds, disco elysium). I’m afraid the industry is dead, or comatose at least.

I'm going to buy a cheap notebook with 2 joystics to play everything. I fucking miss bt3 or killer instinct from NES or NFS underground. There are a lot of fuckings good games

>solid core gameplay
>even though it's a movie game
how? is this even possible?

game devs are only using the same engines, tweak a few character movement settings and physics and put some different assets in
they are pretty much playing minecraft at this point

I would bet SotC has less cutscenes than the majority of your favorite games

This game is all surface and no substance
I have no idea how people fanboy for it, it's what started the whole "cinematic games" trend that everybody now hates
The gameplay is mostly climbing which nobody would ever praise normally, but for some reason it's okay here
Impressive graphically sure, but it's a garbage game and people should stop defending it. By far the most overrated game of all time, Oot, FF7 etc got nothing on this game

cutscenes don't necessarily mean movie game

Are you drunk? I played this back in the day and it was a lag fest. I finished it but I did not enjoy it. It’s only when the ps3 remaster that it got better.

>which no one would praise normally
right, because if someone made rock climbing sim 2022 it would be a boring game about rock climbing. But in sotc you're climbing monsters to kill them and save your gf.
context matters dumbass

the style 'is' the substance you dunce, the spectacle and the gameplay are the same thing since fighting the colossi is both aesthetically impressive and impressive on the gameplay front; there are no games that let you grab onto a flying colossal bird as it swoops down on you and then be carried off into the air
and the idea that it somehow created cinematic games is wrong since Ico already came out before it and Ico was inspired by Another World from 1991, which is cinematic in its own right and even in the same genre as Ico (cinematic platformer)
>The gameplay is mostly climbing which nobody would ever praise normally
what a ridiculous and redundant statement. classic example of not seeing the forest for the trees

Attached: 1598968367068.jpg (2048x1536, 2.94M)

>saw some cringe clone of this game the other day
ngl sotc felt tedious at times...
>fall
>now you have to climb that whole thing again
why would someone want to copy this?

Improvements in technology over time don't necessarily equal improvements in art direction.

yeah it'd be so much more fun if you never climbed it to begin with and could never fall off, just magically spawn at the top of it, genius stuff

RE4 has quick time events, that automatically downgrades it to a shit game

>it's what started the whole "cinematic games" trend
No that was god of war
>that everybody now hates
no everyone loves it and it won't fucking go away

Modern games boil down to how can me bilk gamers and monetize every section of the game. Like always, mass internet adoption has ruined everything.

>the style 'is' the substance
This is huge copium, imagine not even being able to describe any substance but having to pretend like the graphics is the substance. This is literally the problem, if good looks is the substance then it's bordering on being more of a movie than a game, which is the entire problem with AAA games today, just like I said
>it somehow created cinematic games
I said that it started the cinematic games trend, not that it created the genre, but nice pivot
>what a ridiculous and redundant statement
If you could explain why then you would have, but instead you go for insults and vague analogies