It's time for us to discuss what defines "retro" in videogames

it's time for us to discuss what defines "retro" in videogames.

Attached: 1657395275658.jpg (659x733, 140.71K)

Just divide it by eras instead of constantly moving the line forward on what "retro" means. Imagine calling both 1931 Dracula and 1979 Dracula the same thing just because they're both more than 40 years old when they come from completely different times in filmmaking.

my favorite retro vidya: smash bros brawl, halo 3 and demon souls

Would Milleniboomers accept the definition that a game is retro if the number of the generation is half or less than the current generation's?

I still follow the same rules for the term "retro" as other entertainment media does, which is a ten years qualifier. Anything older than 10 years is retro.

I'd call Mario Sunshine a vintage game

Maybe there's inflation for the years.
Retro was once considered 20 years ago
Maybe now it should be 40

that just causes more issues down the line.
imagine the twentieth console generation, where games that game out 40 years ago are still considered "modern"

"Retro" in terms of gaming means any game released during an era that is now twenty years passed or longer. I feel like the dividing line is what generation they're a part of, so sixth generation can be considered retro now, but seventh generation will take much longer to properly be seen as "retro". Anything from the fifth generation and before is already pretty much retro.

Mario 20 years ago

I need to post this because the amount of people who don't know what the term "retro" means is giving me PTSD, Retro is NEW-OLD its something that's new that is designed to look old, Shovel Knight is a retro game Mega man 2 isn't, Pic related its a retro game,

you and all "retrogaming" YouTubers are retarded

Attached: download.jpg (330x153, 10.31K)

Mario Sunshine is my favorite antique game

The term retro is older than the game industry

yea no shit, I was talking about the term "retro" when describing video games

Retro is 2 generations prior to the current gen. Mid-gen refreshes like PS4 don't count. PS3/360/Wii is now retro.

Attached: 1655269581276.jpg (1280x720, 51.94K)

Boomers refuse to define rock bands with 70+yo members as retro.
Retro is simply not a term that goes well with people in general.

>three proper 3D Mario games in 20 years

Everything past PS1/N64/NDS is not retro.

They are the same thing because Dracula is black in both films, retard.

i guesss you can define it by hardware. SNES, genesis both ran on and designed for hardware that is incredibly outdated to modern hardware. CRT to lcd I guess you can count ps1 and n64 since most games were designed with a crt in mind. Fuck it, add the gamecube and ps2 as well. With gen 7 all consoles except the wii embraced more modern technology.

Graphics haven't changed much in 20 years so "retro" should just be anything from the 90s and earlier.

"Retro" moves forward at an inconsistent rate. What's retro depends on how fast the contemporary world is changing.
Since standards and styles in contemporary gaming have moved at a snail's pace since about 2007, it took way longer for the PS2 to become retro than the PS1 did. It stands to reason it will take even more time for the PS3 to become retro, because it has spent its entire lifespan, rather than just part, in the cultural oil slick that arrests all proper improvement in the medium.
Of course the dictionary definition of retro is IMITATING an old style, not actually being old. So we can ditch that one.

Attached: 1593538814748.gif (549x674, 514.45K)

where do the switch and wii-u factor into this

I should elaborate that if you want to refer to a specific era, you shouldn't use retro. There are plenty of words to define a specific time period, the entire purpose of retro is to be a sliding window of "when things were a certain amount different to how they are now". Pre- and post-9/11 culture is going to be a big divider in the upcoming era of what's retro, then after that, the few years between 9/11 and the explosion of the internet to basically its modern form. From then on, god only knows what will be retro, because it sort of feels like culture has been one continuous stream of the same shit.

Doesn't feel right calling a game like MGS4 retro even though it's 15 years old. They were movies then and are even moreso now.

In the next 20 years videogames won't be any different.

The only way for "retro" to happen again is if we discover a way to utilize 4D, as well as see it.

"Retro" was not a one-time phenomenon.

both are correct

Attached: 1200px-Box_NA_-_Super_Mario_World_Super_Mario_Advance_2[1].png (1200x1203, 2.79M)