Why is spec ops the line so such a bore

why is spec ops the line so such a bore

Attached: 1594315265532.jpg (970x701, 368.49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/w7x0LJ5w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

IWTFWK

if you're going to try and keep yourself disconnected from a narrative then you shouldn't really criticise it

Attached: I Want to Fuck Erin.jpg (500x500, 369.59K)

I wouldn't say it's boring but it's definitely pretentious.
what are you even trying to say here? That if you don't self insert you can't criticize something? that's fucking retarded.

The game was intended to make fun of people who thought they were playing an escapist fantasy military shooter. The problem is that most people who played it were in on the joke so it comes off as either boring or somewhat funny.

Attached: 01A86B77-1295-4B64-843E-9E71DFBA8687.png (1372x507, 191.2K)

It's a story about someone living with the consequences of 'just following orders'. It's pretty mundane, idk why people got their tits all aflame about it.

>hey guys, if I say something that sounds profound, I'm right

If you want the player to feel guilt, you have to offer them choice.

Post yfw you realized there's an entire Any Forums subculure of "merely pretending" retards whose entire posting ethos revolves around LARPing as high intellectuals for simping on this game

Attached: oof.jpg (250x250, 10.38K)

you would have done it anyways whether the game chastised you for it or not. still there are far better games where you play as the monster.

Attached: who's lila.png (1912x1070, 2.89M)

Because the gameplay sucks cock. Its hard to get invested in the story when you have to slog through Mass Effect 1 tier cover shooting.

that game was fucking wild.

Attached: amogus.png (33x48, 1.17K)

Filtered.

But that's exactly what it is. And trying to shame people for killing fictional people in a railroaded scene is stupid.
>idk why people got their tits all aflame about it.
because the game makes you kill people, tries to make you feel bad about it, but doesn't offer you an alternative. Why should we feel bad about killing people who don't exist in a scene we had to do to complete the game?

>Profound
Fucking hell finish high school before you comment
manipulating people into guilt without choice is not an unheard of plot device

why does it have to offer you an alternative?

That if you purposefully try top take yourself out of the plot then your criticism holds fucking no weight

He violates his orders almost immediately and his squadmates also point out he was just supposed to do recon and then come back.

Lisathepainful.png

Because if there is no choice, the player didn't decide to kill those people. Meaning the responsibility doesn't lie with them, but the developer who made the scene.

It's only shameful if you treat the game like an escapist fantasy. If you don't, then the game is calling the character stupid, which he clearly is, so the player would agree with the game.

This War of Mine is and will continue the superior anti-war game mainly it doesn't devolve into having to see like 500 people get gun down just to get it's message across.

>just following orders
It's literally the opposite of that, it would have been a completely different outcome if Walker just followed orders

I tried to avoid killing the civilians, the game doesn't let you. preachy pseud shit like this is why games will N E V E R be art

that would be good design if it did

Attached: EH111vaXUAEvQog.jpg (500x499, 40.4K)

Posting the better version

Attached: 1658138171933823.png (640x360, 46.26K)

Except the game calls out the player specifically several times. This has been posted before, in previous threads, via screencaps of various loading screens.
Your argument is tired and verifiably wrong.

After the lynching? It does though. You can shoot in the air or just punch one of the crowd and they'll scatter.

You refers to the player character, not the player.

I hear obra dinn is really good, shame I'm hard filtered by the art style.

NOW WHY DO THEY CALL HER WHITE KORRA? DOES KORRA PREDATE HER OR DID THE WHITE GIRL COME FIRST

I want to fuck white korra!

It says something like, "you are Martin Walker," in one of the earlier loading screens. You is refering to Walker.

you can just stop playing the game or live with the consequences of continuing to do as your told.

Why does nobody ever complain about Undertale doing this
>wowwww you purposefully fought enemies? You're a piece of shit person
>but you programmed it Toby
>nope all your fault :^)))))

Attached: C095CD5C65E54B77ADE12777F07017FF.jpg (182x268, 5.95K)

Why does spec ops get criticized for this but Undertale doesn't?

I'm talking about the white phosphorous scene

Probally because Chara destroys the universe on his own even if you oppose him, so it gives you someone else to blame.

>"but i don't want to progress if that's what it takes"
all the player had to say.

in undertale the combat is avoidable

think about what a "choice" is then pick up your sippy cup and get back in the ballpit

How do people still not understand the point of spec ops? Maybe you need a few more years

Because you actually have a choice of not fighting and still progressing?

If you mean the shitty normal/pacifist end, sure. If you want to get to the only fight in the game that's actually fun, you need to go genocide mode.

>live with the consequences
There aren't any because it's a videogame, which is why trying to make the player feel guilty about it doesn't work. It doesn't matter if the game did give the player an alternative option, I'd have killed people on at least one run anyway just to see what happened. Because it's a videogame.

pastebin.com/w7x0LJ5w
>this shit again
Ah yes, let's design a game designed not to be played. Brilliant!
Check the pastebin, there's nothing like that
look at the pastebin, it has every loading screen text. It's clear it doesn't.

Because you are given the option not to? From the very start? With a tutorial and everything?

Attached: Untitled.png (871x899, 173.21K)

Remember, Any Forums jerked this game off HARDCORE when it came out

>spend 60$
>game won't progress
wow

>muted the game and just put let’s plays in the background
>didn’t know what the fuck was going on until reading Any Forums
Honestly glad I did

Obra Dinn is kino. It's an unapologetic detective game that doesn't hand-hold you with quest icons. There's a very real chance you'll need to take a myriad of notes to fully complete the game. The soundtrack is also kino. That said, if you don't like the art style it's not like it's going to get better as you get deeper into the game. If you like games that aren't for zoomie brainlets, it's one of the best though.

They do, they just often get called retarded because it's not the same situation.

>talking to Walker
lol

Attached: Specops3[1].jpg (1280x1024, 137.37K)

>LoadingScreenTips_041
Where are loading screens 1-40?

You don't have to go out of your way to kill everything on sight. The game says you're an asshole only if you do.

the game pointed out that you're a little bitch boy that'll do everything you're told and it made you mad.

Huh, I didn't notice that. Good question actually. I thought that was all of them.
You sound pretty mad yourself that the evidence proves you wrong.

It isn't real. Walker is having flashbacks.

You know that is the whole "narrative" the game was pushing. That you will slaughter their world just for curiosity and a fun fight just because you can

Attached: 161487755857623543.jpg (568x488, 69.49K)

Doesn't matter, the mere face that noncombat is a viable way of finishing the game changes the context of killing from mandatory to a choice. It's a weighted choice now, but a real choice.
And simple quitting a game and turning it off isn't a real choice in the confines of a games narrative, btw. That's a choice external to the story, like choosing to eat a sandwich as you play. That excuse for Spec Ops sucks