Can we please return to horizontal progression in video games?

Can we please return to horizontal progression in video games?

Attached: 018.png (680x623, 244.03K)

>new items don't make you much stronger but give you different options and abilities
I will now buy your game.

So much this. Your attacks do 800 damage instead of 500 and now you can fight a dude that has 4000 hp instead of 3000. Who fucking cares? Give me things that change my gameplay and give me more options instead of bigger numbers.

>+3.5% magic damage
>+2% cooldown reduction
>+1% chance to critically hit

Attached: 435159121.jpg (470x470, 69.91K)

Both of these options are similar and sound pretty shit to be honest. The second could be even worse if you have other gear that has conditions too so now you need to keep track of all of that bullshit on your head.

>10% chance for 5% damage increase whenever you critical hit at 20% hp or less

Attached: 1639878261441.jpg (785x816, 62.96K)

>buff and debuff stats spreads to party members

Attached: d637b30f-6bb7-434d-9d73-c3000b269765 6.png (1080x1536, 310.84K)

>Both of these options are similar
Brain damage.

>the icon changes from green to blue

Attached: 1655542905274.jpg (749x710, 49.64K)

Give me a gaym with very few levels and points into stats to invest and just new abilities so old location enemies can still fuck me up but I have more tools to approach them.

>ok but to be viable in the new content you need to slot 8 2% damage increase crystals onto your main weapon
>for the new area it's optimal to have .48% lightning resistance and 7% total ranged damage reduction when in combat for more than 30 seconds on your helmet, gloves and boots
>for your chest armor you should use -10% special attack damage reduction and +1 evasion when using Blinding Rage (290 second cooldown) buff
>before engaging you have to pre-buff your skills which when fully buffed give a combination of +10% critical damage, +15 critical rate, 12 accuracy, 30 movement speed, +1 attack speed
>then you have to debuff the enemy with 6 skills which in total inflicts major bleed (+2 damage per second for 5 seconds), reduces the enemy's armor stat by 20, decreases accuracy and movement speed by 4%, -3% critical damage, -3% physical melee damage, and applies an additional debuff which further raises your attack speed by .1% per hit for a maximum of .10%
>now you are ready to do your main dps attacks which consists of 3 skills repeated

>Increase stat by X
>Increase stat by X but you lose it for 3 seconds if hit
Similar.

Blasphemous. NG+ also significantly changes your gameplay based on which choice you pick at the beginning. If you decide to play it, use the in-engine CRT filter that is off by default in options.

Attached: jesus-campos-jimenez-nerkin-hermandx-del-lamento-mudo-concept-general.jpg (1920x1486, 345.51K)

>movement speed while not getting hit is the same or similar as increased damage
This is why we can't have nice things and need to have fucking lawyers write down everything in legalese so that cunts like you can't go muh interpretation in court.

I have no idea what you are getting mad about, I was not even trying to be pedantic, I just think both of those things are boring stat increases, the difference being a condition attached to one of them.
My idea of "horizontal progression" is like, boots that give you one more jump in the air, or a helmet that allows you to breathe underwater. Shit like that.

On a moderately related note I absolutely hate overspecialized items; specifically with drawbacks, the type to the extent that you're never going to use it unless you're running some ultra specific build. sure it's nice if you get one that happens to jive with whatever you're trying to do, but what happens 99% of the time is that it's not only useless but an outright liability to use it.

Attached: 1565172408624.png (429x454, 118.47K)

I love when items have drawbacks if it's done right. Which it rarely is. I guess that's why games just inflate numbers. It's easier to make Grog brain pleased.

Movement speed is very different from just mathematical damage, defense or hp numbers. It makes you jump farther, kite enemies that would otherwise kill you, evade/run from attacks that would hit you, it changes the way you play the game fundamentally.

>It makes you jump farther, kite enemies that would otherwise kill you, evade/run from attacks that would hit you, it changes the way you play the game fundamentally.
Uhh but what you said is not changing how you play the game, you were already doing those things, you will just do them better. Having a damage upgrade is similar, as in that it will help you kill the enemy faster.

I understand that because of the increased movement speed, it will possibly allow opportunities that you didn't have before, but again, same could be said about having higher damage!

>11% chance to refund magic used as health

Finally, a patrician thread.

Why is this bad?