Retro Shooter Thread

Why can't indie devs really get into using any old engine except for Doom (GZDoom)?

Attached: ss_267830db00a4e8b92bffb1a2b52dc829c15658ce.1920x1080.jpg (1920x1080, 518.41K)

Because old engines suck and are very limiting. Doing great things with them is very difficult and time consuming and often required a lot of sacrifice. Besides, why dedicated a huge amount of time to a far more difficult to use and far older engine when you can use far easier and newer things that will look far better for far less effort?

Old engines have shit tools and netcode, but new engines look like blurry messes. I wish there was a third alternative.

New engine's don't look like that inherently. It's just the people using the engine adding a ton of the options because they think more options enabled means a better looking game.

If you can make games on Source like Hunt Down the Freeman, why is no one making games on Goldsrc?

Attached: xut4ROz.jpg (848x636, 50.26K)

Nah, new engines have those options enabled by default. You need to put in a lot of effort to make the game look like it could run on a 3dfx Voodoo. New engines also do tons of buffering to make their FPS numbers look better, but that adds latency which isn't great for fast-paced shooters.

Fpbp

>play a game that's trying to look like it's from 1998
>GPU usage 100%

It's the most memorable and easy engine to use

Nobody worked with Build besides the Ion maiden guys, Quake is the same deal

And very few people have the skill and technical ability to make their own unique engine

Project Awol is on Build
Doombringer runs on some Quake 3 offshoot

>Look far better
Generic unreal engine fps DOES NOT look better than even the 25 year old Quake engine

There are Goldsrc games, they are just less known.

Attached: Quake TearsOfTheFalseGod.jpg (5760x3240, 2.78M)

Most of the old engines that were open-sourced were released under GPL and are no longer available commercially so to legally use them they'd have to provide the full source code for the finished game as well.

Source ports do not have this restriction, this is why you see commercial games on GZDoom and forks of Eduke or Darkplaces in Wrath's case.

Is this part of Arcane Dimensions? I still need to download that

Attached: Quake 2.jpg (538x553, 110.94K)

>to legally use them they'd have to provide the full source code for the finished game as well
And this is a downside?

Yes

Attached: Quake - Dimension of the Machine.jpg (4600x2583, 3.59M)

Quake 2 was a good game and objectively better than Daikatana, Romero is an overglorified hack.

New Ultrakill update in just 3 days.

nah, Daikatana isn't great but it's more interesting and fun than Quake II
All Quake II has going for it is multiplayer and mods

rude

Attached: 3.png (565x351, 70.16K)

>broken buggy pile of shit with permanently cancer ai partners and dogshit enemies +terrible weapons
>better than quake 2
Got Romero's dick so far down your throat than he really must have made you his bitch

I hope this guy never lets his horrible fanbase influence his game in any way.

BASED DEV

Seriously though it's not bad at all people need to learn to get used to it

I need names. I love GoldSrc

I only use it to punch my own shotgun shells. Actually firing the gun for its own sake does seem pointless most of the time.