Oblivion

Any recommendations for someone who is going to play Oblivion for the first time?

Apparently I missed quite a few popular games from when I was busy in college and after playing New Vegas with some much needed bug and crashfixes I'm going to try Oblivion. Is there anything I need to know before starting? Any fixes or patches to apply, builds or mistakes to avoid?

Can't wait to start exploring and I guess this can be your Oblivion thread to share anything you have as well :-)

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 243.88K)

If its your very first time, than you should just play the game as it is, no mods.
As for things you should know:
1. Leveling can be confusing:
In order to level up you need to incease your classes major skills (you have 7 major and 14 minor) and than go to sleep after you are qualified to level up. While leveling up you chose 2 out of 8 stats you want to incease. Also, for every time you increase a skill connected to a specific stat f.e. athletics skill and speed stat, you get a bonus stat increase while leveling up.
2. Scaling is a mess: enemies get stronger as you level up. Better armor and weapon types won't start spawning until your higher level.

Play Morrowind first, otherwise you’ll never play it because you’ll turn into an insufferable graphics fag

GLORY TO MEHRUNES DAGON

Alright, so both me and enemies get stronger and if I get even stronger I'll find stronger gear. Doesn't seem too bad.
Is this really so? I can play morrowind first if this is a popular opinion. I don't really mind graphics and enjoy stuff like DF or DCSS. If it's really necessarily the right order to play the games in I'd definitely be down for it. I always thought Morrowind wasn't that amazing compared to Oblivion that's why I would start with Oblivion.

Attached: 0000009069.1920x1080.jpg (1024x768, 130.84K)

>auto level scaling
Literally pointless to do anything: the gamu

AULIAS is the only really essential mod.

Oblivion is a clusterfucked mess of a game. There is NO shame in modding it on a first playthrough, everyone knows the game is absolutely fucked. If you feel like modding the game "disrespects the developers" then GOOD, fuck them, they did a terrible job. It's not a QoL/jank thing like in Morrowind, no, Oblivion's design is fundamentally ass-backwards and counterproductive. Nobody should ever play it unmodded.

Knock shit over.

>If its your very first time, than you should just play the game as it is, no mods
You should definitely have the unofficial patch. Half the quests in the game have a potential fatal bug and there are objects floating everywhere due to speedtree.
>I can play morrowind first if this is a popular opinion.
If you have never played morrowind then I would recommend it. All you really need is OpenMW, which is more or less a drag and drop install.

loli
mods

>Morrowind wasn't that amazing
morrowind is fucking wild, it's so good it's almost unreal

Alright I believe you, I'll look into installing OpenMW before diving into Oblivion
Like Dark Messiah?
Do you have any mods to recommend or is it just mods in general, also do you think Morrowind should be played first?
Cool, I'll look into that.
I bet it's fine, just not up to current standards

step 1: play any other TES game

Get scaling mods

like said, you should play (mostly) vanilla for your firth play through. the only mods i'll recommend are the unofficial oblivion patch and maybe DarNified UI which makes the UI more PC friendly.
regarding leveling and enemy scaling, it's a bit of a mess and the enemies turn into damage sponges in the later levels. you can get around this with mods or a method called "efficient leveling" but I would avoid those for a new play through.
my advice is to invest in endurance early as it determines how much health you gain per level. also focus on at least one strong offensive skill (blade, blunt, destruction, etc). use a custom class to manually choose your skills, the pre-builts aren't great.
don't be afraid to dial down the difficulty if you get stuck at later levels. they gave the option to do so because they knew how terrible the level scaling is.

Attached: 1632307964253.png (640x360, 19.59K)

Shit man I usually see people rabid about Morrowind being the best

For both games, some really useful bits
>always make a custom class with endurance and luck tagged
>atronach sign is OP but changes the game a fair bit, as such should probably grab one of the stat boosting signs during creation (lady for M and thief for O is "best" but so so long as you don't pick a damage taken+ it's fine)
>without mods you want endurance maxed asap due to how the game distributes health (only stat that works this way as well)

Do not play Morrowind first because Oblivion will be infuriating dogshit in comparison. Elder Scrolls games should be played in reverse order Skyrim -> Oblivion -> Morrowind so every next game gets better and more complex.

You dont need scaling mods if you go magic these fucking retards crying for better damage while i 1 shot everything is laughable be a chad go high elf and pick atronach as your birthsign then go farm flax near skingard and water hyliea far west of skingard near the white river those two make a magick restore potion and theres like 50 of them at a time.

>Do you have any mods to recommend
Auto Update Leveled Items and Spells
Unofficial Oblivion+DLC Patches (not ideal but it's a net positive for the game)
Galerion's Natural Leveling

I think it's interesting to play them in order to understand why the games are the way they are. Plus the games reference each other a fair bit and certain situations have far less gravity without understanding the background behind them.

I played Oblivion first, and than played Morrowind many years later. I don't think it will be hard for you to get into it later, as long as you remember that the gameplay is diffrent. In Morrowind there is no quest marker, and the fast travel only exists through transport srvices (boats, mage's guild teleporter etc.)
Also you aren't guaranteed to hit your target with a weapon or to successfully cast a spell. It is determined by a dice roll. Your rolls have a higher chance of success when your skills are better f.e. you have a spear and try to hit a mudcrad. if your skill is 5 you will miss most of your strikes. If it's 50 you will hit it far more often.

honestly the bigger problem with leveling is that there's a cap on training. "Monster get stronger" meaning mythical minotaurs are roaming the fields is silly, grinding (long before the player knows the minotaurs are even a factor) so they don't run a train on you is a drag
morrowind still has stat grinding but you can do it incredibly quickly and get endurance out of way

>you just need to know the game to have an easy time
just start as a dunmer and do the mage/fighter/thief questlines in the first city you're directed to, you'll actually experience the game and become grossly overpowered by the time you finish even one of them

Just the unnoficial patch to address the bugs that the base game has, play vanilla until you get tired of either the game or the leveling system. You can search out mods to fix that then.
It's so you experience first-hand to see what it's the actual problem with it instead we told you.

>there's a cap on training
One of the most baffling design decisions ever. What compelled them to do this?