Unironic zoomer here

unironic zoomer here

What were early internet video game forums like?

Attached: 123123.jpg (1050x1100, 499.5K)

Forum moderators were kind of known for being power-tripping cunts because they were largely kids who were bullied in school that wanted something in life they could control completely. I don't use anything other than Any Forums these days but the same shit still happens here so I don't imagine much has changed in other places except the average age of a forum moderator.

Borderline zoom/millennial here, so 28. It was not great but I miss all my old forum buddies. Even in 2009 the internet was drastically different.

it was all just so based and sincere
this age of irony is absolutely awful

This, all the fucking time. Most old forums were always as bad as TrannyEra except it'd be posting media the mods personally didn't like. Like anime on SomethingAwful, which created this very site.

"I disagree and here's why."
[USER HAS BEEN BANNED FOR THIS POST BY xXxLinkinTears]

Attached: 1659540711603970.jpg (330x319, 25.76K)

I really do kinda miss the "this is truly epic! good job dude! :D" shit and it was actually earnest. Now it's 100% reddit zoomers who obsess over "wholesome" shit and are the ugliest disaffected motherfuckers imaginable.

The early Bioware timeline was funny as shit. So many memorable disasters.

The ride ends here and the SWTOR forum ass-kissers (guy with the Target PC)

Attached: Bioware_queers.jpg (1920x1200, 1.48M)

Typo, meant "The rine ends here"

It was a dell user, and he paid extra for the setup. How can it not run smoothly?

Fuck TORtanic/ME3 was 10 years ago. Zoomers who were 8 then are allowed to post here now. It never stops.

Attached: crunchy.png (1302x1009, 1.95M)

>hmmm i wonder what I should play today...

Attached: RPS_unbiased.jpg (1680x1050, 292.46K)

If GG wasn't such a bunch of shit smeared self-promoting faggots on both sides they actually had a point. Too bad it blew up in everyone's faces and now things are even worse.

>Stumble into the webring of video game shrine sites
>All the admins and mods talk like know-it-all spergs but you think they're super cool since you're nine and they seem authoritative
>Check out the sick fanart section and set it as the desktop background of your account on the Windows XP
>Find the forums - holy shit people are talking about your favorite thing???
>Everyone signs their posts with weird shit you don't know (references to 80s things?)
>Entire sections you do not understand at all but are weirdly intriguing (years later I realized it was warrior cats x Golden Sun fanfiction)

Attached: 1653827248336.png (806x798, 769.63K)

It's really funny that we continue to live out, forever, with higher and higher stakes each time, to the point that geopolitics is just GG
Makes you wonder if this isn't hell...

Things felt more personal and had a sense of community like a small town or village back then which characters and personalities, today online communities feel like anonymous mega-cities like out of Judge Dread. It is what it is.

Attached: 1473802671731.png (2500x5562, 469.41K)

call me retarded if you want but obscure sub-100 active user discords feel like forums, right down to the weird aloof admins, the mods that only show up to bitch, and the purposefully dense long-game trolls

Some things being consolidated was good. I'm sorry but "WELCOME TO MY WEB PAGE" with five pictures of Christina Aguilera taking up a domain wasn't exactly peak internet in my mind either.

SOVL

Yeah. Most of the schizos that'd have their own crazy website are now all on Twitter or whatever and they're impossible to differentiate from the hundreds of thousands of ironic schizoposters doing it for attention.

I remember being so proud that I built a website with Microsoft Homepage.

15 years ago I was an admin on a fairly large game server and the forums had a rule that signatures had to be under 400 pixels or whatever. I used to pedantically measure every signature and get in huge arguments with people when I deleted their giant anime pictures.

Attached: 1435507571026.jpg (960x1060, 235.57K)

more serious discussions were possible only in forums. there was trolling and power hungry mods as well but the whole culture around discussions was more relaxed. also, social media was not a thing so the internet was slower than today and no normies. i miss those times.

you did the right thing for the record, all those giant sig pics just take up space and are annoying to scroll past

You clearly have no soul.

we were never meant to be connected globally. for 99.9% of civilization, we cared about our village, maybe the one down the road, and that's it. the town schizo's reach was whoever heard him screeching at the town square. now, they can reach every other town's schizo, and they can form grander ideas and retreat into their own bubble and never have to be confronted by the outside world.

i wish web-shrines were still a thing, the only bookmarks still alive from that era are anime ones

Comfy and chaotic, I always remember mashing the page refresh waiting for people to respond to my post
Also the mods of forums back then went on huge power trips and banned anyone for anything

Grammar nazis. People made it their job to police language spelling and grammar.

Depending on the forum, Things were a bit less politically correct. People knew not to use racial slurs without being reminded. But you could pretty much talk directly without mincing words.

You still had reputation and had to be somewhat accountable for your posts. This encouraged people to be more helpful and friendly.

Having a high post count was kind of a goal for many. It usually meant you were a veteran. And embedded into the culture of the forum.

Trolling was a thing still. But it was easier to ban people being too wild.

Speaking of mods were very scary. They usually got their asses kissed. For fear of ban or to be their friend and get some respect in the community

Basically Snacks on a bad day.

damn I used to hate anime back in those days

>used to pedantically measure every signature and get in huge arguments with people

Attached: 1636758125286.gif (219x186, 1.14M)