All games with melee combat still have the same "run around static arena avoiding boss hitting him while he's down"...

>all games with melee combat still have the same "run around static arena avoiding boss hitting him while he's down" type fights
>still can't manually aim direction of swings in melee games to slice or stab weak points like armor joints or eyes like the MGSR demo and you just create a damage zone in front of you
>Spider-Man controls largely the same on the PS2 as on the PS5, you can't do precision freestyle swinging like threading a needle
>most 3D aerial traversal and platforming still sucks and is slow, and largely automated for the player's convenience like Assassin's Creed climbing and parkour

It feels like 3D control, combat, movement, and interaction standards were cemented during the PS2 and everything since has just been reusing and polishing the same standards. Is this a gamepad limitation, programming limitation, player abilities limitation, or just plain dev risk aversion? Why is no one trying to create more dynamic and precise systems?

Attached: 1645327916781.webm (852x480, 2.98M)

be the change you wish to see in the world
take the game dev pill user

That's partly why I'm asking, I have some ideas that feel obvious but unexplored, but the fact no one's even tried them makes me wonder if I'm getting in over my head.

Attached: 1654185350339.webm (640x360, 2.93M)

I rly dislike the sudden glow -- usually yellow or red -- tell before an attack that are in most action vidyas rn. For instance, God Hand didn't have that, just the winding of said attack. It's unnecessary visual info

Attached: Screenshot_20220808-225559_Chrome.jpg (616x376, 40.85K)

Mark of Kri also didn't have it, which had a fighting system akin to a proto-Arkham Asylum. No glowy tells, just a messy, brutal battle all around

Attached: jul07b_XORSaxy.jpg (366x480, 35.23K)

I'm sure it's a limitation to some degree, but also video games have gotten so big that they now face the same problem movies have: too big to fail. So big AAA games play it safe with their combat systems. People are resilient to change, new things are confusing/scary. I imagine there's been countless times where a passionate developer has gone into a board meeting to show off a new demo only for the suits to think its too experimental.

I think most action games are too fast and crazy, I also dislike aiming in any capacity. That's how I became the greatest Soulsfag.

Attached: 1658156643189.webm (1280x720, 2.86M)

Was it Warren Spector that said in the MGS franchise you're simply playing the radar? In the overabundace of shiny flair of current action vidyas, devs now feel the need to make every enemy attack a red beam of light in order to discern wtf is happening. You are playing the lightshow.

Attached: red glow.jpg (1166x1080, 428K)

Old PC games typically had this shit where you when you attacked with melee it wouldnt lock to wherever you clicked but instead do damage when you could move the mouse around. This actually added a shitton of depth and skill to the game, you can find guides for like Jedi Knight and the Newerth Savage games.

How do you prevent sperg spinning from happening? Chivalry got fucked by it.

>still can't manually aim direction of swings in melee games to slice or stab weak points like armor joints or eyes
Play Exanima

Attached: flight.webm (886x500, 2.86M)

You don't, which is why everything nowadays boils down to standard action combat. Meta gets godawful in those games in general. Decoupling movement from attacking also in general doesn't look good on top of being janky.

Attached: 1562426774293.webm (1024x576, 2.86M)

Attached: 1577030589513.webm (640x480, 2.96M)

I've been thinking.
>with one button you "aim" the sword
>during that moment you can use the mouse/joystick to choose a direction to swing

Just add a cooldown who prevents it.

In single player games, there are various ways, you can encourage precision by adding damage multipliers, you can discourage spinning by adding armor to the large targets and stamina systems that force the players to conserve strikes. For multiplayer games I wouldn't even bother, players are always looking for ways to suck the fun out of them.

am I being baited thats just MGR

Decoupling movement from attacking is the key though, or rather decoupling view direction from attack direction the moment you initiate an attack. Nobody likes the spinning retard meta.