Unironically, with all memes and shit flinging aside...

Unironically, with all memes and shit flinging aside, is the Steam deck worth it and what are the pros and cons of one over a desktop?

Attached: vpavic_220210_5030_0054_square_steam_deck.jpg (1360x1360, 221.14K)

'ick on the 'eck

Its PC gaming on the go, what the fuck is there to say other then that
If you want to play PC games on the go then you'll like it, if you don't then you wont.

i tried it yesterday while i waited in my car. my buddy modded it wirh emulators so it was. essentialy a switch, n64, dreamcast etc. I played fornabout 1.5 hours. Its heavy, controls feel weird. Id rather have a laptop with a controller / 10

emu's werencool though

Attached: 1657644078981.jpg (753x707, 84.67K)

this
user you have to accept that the deck is a 720p, 30-45FPS device with a battery that lasts anywhere from 2-6 hours and a 7" screen.
If you don't go anywhere and have a PC at home, don't fucking buy a Deck.
If you don't have a PC at home because you're out and about so much, then get a Deck. But that's only if a laptop wouldn't suit your purpose much better.

Is it really that simple though? Is the storage deficient? Is it shit in the hand? How is pirating games on it considering its linux? It is not just a 1 to 1 compariosn user.

I gamed off a laptop in my poorer days so this is really a big condemnation if it was worse that a laptop.

I have no PC at the moment. I either build one at staggering cost thanks to big gay economy. Or i get a deck. Or I wait and be happy with ps4 for now.

>I either build one at staggering cost thanks to big gay economy
Prices are dropping like a rock if you're in the US. The steam deck is not a great value compared to what you can get.

It's pretty good, but you really need to have a use case for it or else you will just revert back to using your regular pc. I do Uber and Lyft late night and spend a lot of my time waiting in a parking lot for rides. A laptop would be too cumbersome and I wanted to play certain games/genres not available on my 3DS.

Attached: IMG_20220725_162544824_HDR.jpg (1174x880, 148.53K)

Portability and price to performance. A fanatastic cheap emulation device as well.
Desktop is raw power and can do whatever you want, except take it around with you, as long as you're willing to splurge.
They're not competing, they compliment each other.

>Its heavy
I cannot respect the opinion of anyone who says this.

I don't have AC so in order to avoid heating up the room too much I've been playing Elden Ring on this at 580p with FSR, 5W TDP with manual GPU clocks at 800 MHz. Total system power is between 10 and 12 watts compared to 25W or more at full power, so basically by capping the TDP at 50% I get roughly the same power draw as a 2017 Switch but I can play Elden Ring at medium settings on it (low if I want a more consistent frame pacing).
You can do whatever the hell you want with it, and I haven't even touched all the crazy shit you can pull off with Steam Input.
It's totally worth the occasional bug or hiccup and I can't see myself going back to any other console now.

You say dropping like a rock, but that's from a height of $1000-2000 over MSRP. Just a single modern GPU is still worth the price of the whole deck and thanks to previous GPUs for whatever reason never going on sale either, they're also not cheap.

I have a 1 hour bus commute and a tiny apartment, I would rather sit at my local cafe with unlimited coffee while I play games on my deck with my earbuds
I also like watching eSports while playing puzzle and tactics games so it is great to lounge on my couch and still be able to play games comfortably while watching

Attached: 1656100278744.jpg (1024x682, 33.15K)

It's a cool device but I wouldn't get one over a desktop lol, doesn't even support eGPU's. It's supposed to compliment a desktop, not replace it

I'll let you know in a couple hours

They just dropped the 3090ti to $1150
If the steam deck doesn't drop it's price, it's dead in the water.

steam machine 2.0 when?

> worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it v

Attached: 1629316823177.jpg (592x532, 74.79K)

>ust a single modern GPU is still worth the price of the whole deck
That would mean something if the deck had a modern GPU in it.
Instead, you got guys like this
willingly playing at 580p
I played that res in 2002 on my shitty PC

>Is it really that simple though?
Yes
>Is the storage deficient?
Only YOU can answer that as only you would know what type of games you like and will install. Some games are 50MB, some are 50GB, you fucking tell me if its enough for YOU.
>Is it shit in the hand?
If you have hands of a 10 year old or a turbo soi it may be a bit large for you, but you can tell that by just looking at the photos even, otherwise it handles fine.
>How is pirating games on it considering its linux?
You'd do the exact same thing as you would do on any Linux desktop, just install said game thru Lutris
> It is not just a 1 to 1 compariosn user.
Its just a fucking Linux desktop in a UMPC handheld form factor. Literally how you would do anything on a Arch Linux desktop you'd do the same on the Desk.

>It's a cool device but I wouldn't get one over a desktop lol,
Why not just own both?

it's nice to have a purpose built device. at least for me that makes gaming on it feel better than on my desktop.
graphics aren't as good, has a battery life, some games are weird about you not having an available keyboard (DNF Duel) but it's pretty nice. haven't had any games that didn't play properly.

>580p
It's a 800p screen, it looks more than good enough with FSR.

No. The battery life is less than 2 hours for modern games. It's not very handheld.

This

You can get two hours if you make these sacrifices

Because the deck's price is not worth it's use-case for me.
I'd buy a Deck for $150 and no more.

For the price of the base unit it can't be beat among UMPCs, so if you want a UMPC it's worth it comparatively.

Nah.

Attached: sads.png (1284x1210, 1.62M)

What game is that?

>can't be beat among UMPCs
It's still shit performance compare to what I've been playing though.
Do you, Shit King

Elden Ring lets you play for 4 hours with those settings. It's not a lot but it's also not BotW running for less than 2.5 hours on the OG Switch. The price is about right.

Looks like black ops: zombies. The map has been ported to 3 but I think it's originally from 2. UI is 3 I believe

Ah ok, thanks.

Apart from the obvious bait, this was literally a non-issue. Just like that one retarded that confused a software deadzone problem with his sticks for ACTUAL stick drift and gave the shitposters and clickbait youtubers something to viral for a week.

>You can do whatever the hell you want with it
Can't play in 1080p, which has been the minimum standard for.... I dunno.
20 years now?

Based gaben. Defective furries get defective batteries.

Attached: 1641815637977.gif (240x180, 444.63K)

It's best in show for handheld PC. No shit the 300 dollar portable PC screen and controller don't outperform your fucking desktop.

Hey you don't gotta defend yourself Shit King

>what are the pros and cons of one over a desktop?
Pros: uhhh handheld I guess?
Cons: nothing, a properly built desktop pc is better

I've had mine for a few weeks now, and am going to be the only one to give you a 100% honest answer on this board, AMA

Oh that's terrible. The deck is not for me.

Would you say the same for systems like the switch which are vastly inferior and its entire library easily emulatable, and if so why does it still sell?

Yeah it's Black Ops 3. I bought the zombie Chronicals Edition, which came with a bunch pf maps from WaW and BLOPS 1 & 2. Runs great.

Attached: IMG_20220725_160528306.jpg (1249x937, 153.82K)

You can play _some_ PC games on it for like 2 hours before the battery completely dies.
You can emulate games but the fact that it uses a weak AMD APU and GPU makes this a retarded idea for the price you pay. Not worth it

No shit Sherlock, it's a portable device with an 800p screen.

This nigga gonna get robbed

I mean you could get this instead, OP. It's a pre-built just like the deck, similar price, but the price-to-performance is completely and utterly insane compared to a deck.

Attached: thisorthedeck.png (1005x675, 88.5K)

Even ancient GTX 1050's are still roughly half the price of the deck. If you guys want to say the deck isn't worth it, you need to show some laptops that are better for an equivalent price and make it worth sacrificing the handheld formfactor for.

and only 7 inches
for $500

>and if so why does it still sell?
because the switch is a toy, first and foremost. We might as well be debating the price to performance levels of a flintstone phone or asking how vtech keeps getting away with selling inferior laptops.

>A cop is parked in the same lot as me most of the time
>I keep my doors locked and widows up
>I don't pick up niggers.

Desktop and deck are not in competition, they compliment each other. You need to show comparable levels of portability.

We get it, you don't like handhelds, shut up and go back to your Desktop now.

>plays vast majority of good games
>handheld
>$70
The Miyoo mini is the best price-to-performance handheld currently available.

Attached: miyoo.png (1197x552, 220.8K)

Way to out yourself as living in a niggerhood

lol thanks user it's even pocketable. You can't do that with a Deck.
I can put it in any pocket of my backpack.
It's -actually- portable.

>Smaller than a fucking graham cracker

I don't have tiny little baby hands, though

Attached: aynodin.jpg (1890x886, 268.17K)

I like the retroid pocket 2 more, and its about the same price

>but the price-to-performance is completely and utterly insane compared to a deck
Dude that's not that much more powerful and it's a tower.

Yes.
It fits in you HAND.
You don't need HANDS.
It's an ACTUAL handheld

>doesn't play RPGs
I can't play Gothic or Fallout on it, it's worthless to me.

Attached: 1f8a1f10e9db21821f3b8453c74b1a33.jpg (1376x1723, 269.64K)

based handheld chad

it literally is though, after holding the thing for more than 10 minutes your controls start to fumble because of having to deal with the weight on your hands. shit's not friendly at all for anything that requires high precision

>because the switch is a toy, first and foremost
Then how come 20+ year old adults are mainly the ones buying it for themselves?

>Chinkshill
Of course. I already bought an RG351V, Chang. The deck is a different use case

>Then how come 20+ year old adults are mainly the ones buying it for themselves?
Because we live in an age of civilizational collapse.

Why are 20+ year old adults the target demographic of Disney superhero movies and kids meal toys?

But the performance-to-price ratio on that RG351V is much better than the deck's
And plays 99% of the same good games
For 25% of the price.
At this point, you have to be a steamshill to get a Deck.

Yup.
Hard times create strong men
Strong men create good times
Good times create weak men
Weak men create hard times

Currently we are at the 'weak men create hard times' phase