Criticism on gameplay aside, what is the appeal?

I don't expect to get much in the way of discussion on this, but generally the appeal of fighting games or games like this is somewhere between roster and gameplay. Smash invented the platform fighter genre and did so with some of gaming's most iconic characters.

Multiverses along with other platform fighters borrow gameplay stuff for the most part, but does this roster really grab anyone? I'm nearly 30 and something about it just doesn't call to me.

>Only character I really love is the Iron Giant with Tom and Jerry being second and having probably the best exception in the game with how they are fighting each other
>Watch Scooby Doo and Loony Toons as a kid but never were they ever my favorites
>Never into superheros
>Was not watching Cartoons when adventure time and Steven Universe came out
>Didn't watch game of thrones

Something about this game feels out of place and I cannot put my finger on it. I really want to like it. Maybe it's the lack of direction the game has as a whole?

Attached: multi.jpg (616x353, 123.85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ksHJxO8up8s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

> Criticism on gameplay aside,
why is Any Forums like this

The game isn't even out, jeez.

This game definitely focuses more on gameplay, contrary to Smash which is carried mostly by roster (but Ultimate's gameplay is absolute vomit). Maybe take a break and come back later this year to play when they've added more stuff.

Attached: FZhWehqXEAEzsWA.jpg (2048x1152, 366.14K)

To be fair a game is more than gameplay, it’s art, music, and many other things are important, OP was just talking about roster appeal.

>Smash invented the platform fighter genre
No it didn't.
youtube.com/watch?v=ksHJxO8up8s

That is all Any Forums talks about is the fucking roster. Roster roster roster. Christ, do you people even play video games?

Cope, snoy.
This shitty game is nothing like Smash.

You're really judging the roster on your own personal bias.
Looney Tunes and Scooby-Doo are two of the most iconic cartoons ever.
DC is home to big names and icons such a Superman and Batman.
Adventure Time and Steven Universe are two of the biggest cartoons of the 2010s.
Game of Thrones was a huge hit and one of the biggest tv series of the 2010s. Even despite it's last two seasons being viewed in a more negative light they still got millions of viewership.

I'm just judging what was released to the public, I don't think I'm being too hard on it. I just can't tell why it blew up. I'm older than most people playing it and as someone who watched a lot of these shows growing up I don't have an insane attachment to any one character. I'm not sure how Ultimate's roster is vomit though, even with fluff it has every previous character and nearly all of gaming's icons. I think fluff is just about the only criticism it could have minus mature or FPS based icons.

Well seeing as how that game was a Japan only arcade game that was release like a year and a half before smash 64 started it's development I can see why it would be overlooked.

However I'm talking about games that use percentage based damage built up to ring out an opponent when I talk about platform fighters. Not games where you have a health bar and move around a stage with no way to ring anyone out.rn42y

>Game of Thrones was a huge hit and one of the biggest tv series of the 2010s
WAS a huge hit. The finale was so awful everyone tried to pretend the show never existed literally overnight.

>and did so with some of gaming's most iconic characters
By the time of the one people care about they weren't adding "some of gaming's most iconic characters", they were adding
>"trucker hat punch man"
>"two flavours of anime boob, at the same time!"
>and "the last game I was in that anyone liked was on the n64"
and if you think people care more about them than batman or game of thrones then you're fucking retarded

looking at all the corporate ip eco systems out there warner bros probably has the most potential for meme spectacle, even more than disney.

The beta is out though.

>Get called a snoy
>For linking to a video of an arcade game
All i'm saying is that Smash didn't invent the genre and that's a fact due to Outfoxies coming first.
Well OK but maybe you should be more specific next time.
Still doesn't make sense to me but still, OK.

I think his issue might be that the generations they pull from are so vast.
>Scooby doo is from the late 60s
>Tom and Jerry from the 40s
>Batman is from the late fucking 30s but to be fair has kept going and is used tot this day
>Looney toons is from the same era of the 30s but was rerun into oblvion

jump forward 83 years
>Steven universe is released with adventure time coming out a couple years prior

Chances are if you liked the old stuff you just watched a couple re runs as a kid. Nobody below the age of like 60 is a "big fan" of tom and jerry, Looney toons, or Scooby Doo. they just saw reruns on some other channel a couple times and know who they are. So they feel like recognizable characters for the sake of being recognizable.

the appeal is that seething poorfags can finally shit on smelly smashfags
it's not gonna affect them and soon nobody will play this boring fotm

>video games
>art

Attached: bec08f8b5e445395741a4126f23a9d19.gif (190x190, 1.98M)

Like i said, it still got millions of viewership.
The last two seasons were even the most viewed seasons of the entire show.

Attached: rgrhd.png (1546x845, 363.9K)

/thread

Scooby Doo and Looney Toons have also had consistent new media produced since they started, same as batman. It's not just going to be re-runs for a lot of people. There have been like 50 looney toons cartoon series and dozens of scooby doo reboots

the mechanics are dull and it certainly doesn't focus on them
it focuses on microtransactions and gambling to keep their playerbase

>gambling
what? What gambling is there?

think he meant the art style and how the game is presented, not calling games art user.

Post your most wanteds.

Attached: Multiversus_most_wanteds.png (1536x2048, 880.95K)

he's a faggot who should end self and hasn't even played the game he's criticizing, ignore

>Next stage: Flavortown [Experimental]

Attached: 1531174403377[1].jpg (616x616, 37.09K)

Yeah I probably should have been. I just assumed since there have been a good number of games that copy the ring out style of gameplay it would be clear. Like I wouldn't call duck game or even BattleStadium DOM a smash clone even though they have a lot of the makings of one.

Yea I'm not into capeshit either so I don't see Batman or Superman or Wonder Woman in a game and "go that's so heckin epic I can't wait to play as my favorite capeshit hero!"

We're just not the audience.

>video games can't have art
what

either that or he's a faggot retard who forgot what a skinnerbox was

Add Droopy into the game, his series of shorts was the most popular MGM had after Tom & Jerry and nowadays he still shows up as a cameo in those crappy Tom & Jerry direct to DVD movies

Attached: Droopy Sheep Wrecked 1958.webm (457x318, 208.84K)

droopy is too powerful to fit in with the game roster. Weaklings like Superman and Iron Giant wouldn't stand a chance.

I wouldn't call Multiversus a "Smash clone" either.
Just because a game is the same genre as another game doesn't mean that game is trying to be that other game.
You wouldn't call Breath of the Wild a Witcher clone for example.

They are in the game, trust me

Attached: One-off gag Looney Tunes girls.png (2668x678, 2.56M)

I think what he's trying to say is video games can't be art, not can't have art.

Genuinely can’t believe people when they say smash has more appeal, 2/3 of the roster are literal whos to anyone who isn’t a Nintendo fan. Do you really believe characters like Fox and Ness have more appeal than Scooby doo or looney tunes?