Why are jRPGs writing so abysmal? It can't be just a poor translation, there must be a better reason

Why are jRPGs writing so abysmal? It can't be just a poor translation, there must be a better reason.

Attached: file.png (1319x963, 1.39M)

English translations always try to add flair and 99% of the time fall on their face doing it.

Just learn Japanese if it really bothers you, playing games in their native language beats the hell out of literally any localization.

>It can't be just a poor translation
Someone post the xsneed images.

Nips don't like doing anything interesting, just "underdog wins via the power of friendship" or "racism bad" drivel over and over again. Expecting something unique from nintendo especially is an entirely (You) problem.

>Why are jRPGs writing so abysmal?
bitter irony

>tfw no Radiant duology on Switch

Attached: 1645649194326.png (670x700, 328.34K)

They do a variety of stories. It is just that those ones are localized here. It is like foreign countries claiming that America makes only superhero films

Since JRPGs objectively have the best stories in video games, you should be asking why video game writing is so abysmal instead.
Though in this case you're taking some random old badly translated JRPG to make a point, and not even providing an example of bad writing in the first place.

>no Tellius games on Switch
>cope by emulating the pair on Dolphin with hi-res 60fps mods
If Nintendo doesn't want my money then I'll spend it elsewhere

Attached: ikestyle2.gif (400x437, 702.03K)

It fits what's happening
Bastian comes to ask Ike that he wants to join them in the battle
Ike gets pissed at his retarded speech taking 20 years in the middle of a battle

>Ranulf
>Well, we're here! Welcome to Toha, Crimea's westernmost port city.

>Ike
>What's with this place? The people are going about their business. Why aren't they worried about Daein? About the war?

>Ranulf
>It's because this area is fairly isolated. Daein's army hasn't come this far, and so life goes on as before. Daein's plan is to seize the capital, then slowly and steadily expand its sphere of influence until it controls everything.

>Ike
>Surely these people have some idea of what's happening.

>Soren
>Ignorance is a form of bliss, is it not? These people don't know what it's like to lose a war. They don't want to know. Crimea as a nation has always been blessed by peace. Perhaps this is due to the temperament of its rulers, but the country hasn't seen serious warfare for centuries. While minor skirmishes with the kingdom of Daein have been legion, only the eastern borderlands have taken damage.

>Ike
>And yet even I know this peace will not last. When we met Daein forces on our scouting mission, they attacked us merely for being within the Crimean border.

>Soren
>Humans are shameless creatures that carelessly ignore any misfortune which does not befall them directly. They can--and often do--turn a blind eye to all manner of wickedness so long as it does not touch them or their kin. They will bow their heads, condemning those victims for bringing calamity upon themselves, and then they will cast their eyes toward heaven in thanks while their neighbors lay dying around them.

Path of Radiance has some of my favorite writing of a Fire Emblem game. The Tellius Sage in general does actually

>Ike
>But the war is happening here. This is their home, not someone else's.

>Soren
>When the Daein army darkens their doorsteps, perhaps they will understand. When the peace they take for granted is shattered, and their sons and daughters slaughtered in the streets...Perhaps then will they comprehend the misfortunes they so long pretended not to see. I have no sympathy for them.

>Ike
>...

>Ranulf
>My goodness, the nastier the truth, the blunter he gets...Quite a delightful staff officer you have there.

>Ike
>He, um...he has an undeniable streak of severity in him but...but this? Something's bothering him, that's for sure.

>Titania
>It's to be expected. Even I'm a bit shocked by this place. Can they truly be as placid as they appear? Soren's a very empathetic young man. The emotions of this place may have proven to be too much for him.

>Ranulf
>Ignoring impending doom because you cannot prevent it...Fatalism is by nature a disheartening beast. Well, for all those born with nothing, there are those born with everything. Perhaps those who never notice the difference are the ones we should envy.

As someone who did, that really doesn't help avoiding any of the pitfalls of shounen writing or Japanese humor. It's all terrible and terribly redundant. If anything localizations help when they're not going all out with a political message.

Bad writing? Can you please explain how these 2 lines are, in particular, bad writing? Because I'm genuinely curious.
Was the delivery of these lines not nuanced enough for the characters? Did the dialogue not fit the tone of the game? Can you give examples of how it could have been delivered much better in similar context?
I know the translation of newer games outright throws original dialogue out.

The issue is actually translators being too literal, despite how much faggots here complain about translation "embellishing" things, most JRPGs suffered from overly literal translations for decades.

OP's image could use some rewriting to actually match the tone. Ike's line is about as juvenile and badly delivered as it gets. Even a simpler "Silence!" would have fared better.
But there are a good deal of cliches and weakly characterized, one-dimensional characters in JRPGs and the like, not that outside very few examples the same doesn't apply to western games. The issue is with the medium and the terrible writers it hires (of course; who the fuck wants to write vidyagaems?)

Idk man I guess I’m just a weeb cause I love all that shit.

Plus Japanese is way better with onomatopoeia, like it’s not even close.

Here's the whole scene

Bastian
H-hold a moment! Please, my brave general!

Ike
You again?

Bastian
I was but a humble court official in the service of our late king. My name is Bastian, Count of Fayre. Allow me to give you proper greeting and respects, General Ike. Many thanks are due to you! I am here to formally request your permission to join in the battle taking place in the--

Ike
Shut up! We're in combat! If you want to prattle on and on like this, do so after we defeat the enemy!

Bastian
Oh, yes, but of course...Well! It seems I've found yet another font of good humor... Hmph.

Can I just learn to read and write to know the meanings? Verbal seems like it would take multiple times longer.

The Japanese language is overall quite dull and it's hard to translate it correctly to English. It also doesn't help that the best writers of Japan obviously won't be working on video games

It's bait, the guy at the top is a flamboyant faggot who is giving a flowery speech in the middle of a pitched battle, Ike is telling him to shut up and fight before he gets everyone killed. OP is just a westacuck who needs to kill time while his wife gets fucked by a nigger who doesn't even know what game that is. So is this retard

Ike is notably a country bumpkin. He's only in a position of lordship because his mercenary band delivered the princess to safety. He's also still a teenager here iirc, expecting him to reciprocate Bastian's flowery speech in any manner would be OOC.