What's the current state of FPS enemy AI?

What's the current state of FPS enemy AI?

Attached: ss_b9af4e61535eebf72856660a094e75b378c27b8c.1920x1080.jpg (1920x1080, 267.51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/QPrwpQipEXk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

currently fps is gay and so are you

I haven't played anything where they felt like Fear enemies so from my experience they all range from ok to bad. I'd love some recommendations if any user has any, I've been getting interested in playing some older fps titles I just don't want to shoot enemies that pop up like gophers and do nothing else.

its all crap really and not stimulating

hl2 is the last good game ai
fear is just waypoints set to flank, its not actually an ai

Why is it so hard for a AAA studio to make a simple, barebones balls-to-the-walls FPS game?
Something like Black or F.E.A.R?
No open world, no stupid gimmicky RPG elements, no complex game mechanics.
Just super satisfying, over the top 80's action with destructable enviroments, lots of smoke and particles and glass and blood mists and AI that does more than just duck and shoot?

With todays engines it shouldnt even be that expensive to make. Is it that the market just isnt there anymore?

Attached: TIYfun.gif (320x180, 1.54M)

Peaked with Halo Reach

All other answers are wrong

Attached: 1659528050783047.gif (792x810, 260.15K)

I know its not sp but tarkov has pretty good ai(even if a bit blind when compared to real ppl)

>no complex game mechanics.
Fuck off retard

>Something like Black or F.E.A.R?
>No open world, no stupid gimmicky RPG elements, no complex game mechanics.
>Just super satisfying, over the top 80's action with destructable enviroments, lots of smoke and particles and glass and blood mists and AI that does more than just duck and shoot?
I'm keeping an eye on Trepang. It seems like it will deliver something aling these lines.

Publishers barely even care about making single player campaigns these days, you think AI has gotten any attention at all? They dump all the budget into graficks because marketing runs the show.

take your ritalin zoomer

Let's ask this instead: what do you consider to be good AI? Not like, name dropping F.E.A.R and that's it, but what are some genuine AI behaviors that you would want in an FPS?

Crazy how FEAR AI is still better than games released this year.

Supression and flanking
Enemies trying to sneak up on you
Grenades to get you out of cover
Enemies shooting explosive elements near you

Maybe check out Trepang2, its the closest thing to FEAR ive seen in some time now

Attached: Trepang.jpg (1280x720, 258.8K)

this
play half life
youtu.be/QPrwpQipEXk

no games have this level of actual ai, everything else is shitty 1 line scripts or waypoint following like fear

I get filtered by the singleplayer missions in Arma. The infantry combat presentation took me 1hour plus to complete.

Everything in this post and also enemies falling back to regroup if you take out too many of them. Every FPS has confident enemies that only go forward and this gets them killed too often.

Having one group attack you from the front as a distraction while one or two other groups split off silently to flank you or sneak around behind you.

AI in Arma unironically cheats, but it's not the AIs fault. There's just limitations with the engine with everything else it is has to render. Smoke for example does block AI from spotting you, but only once it is fully formed. Foliage will block line of sight, but only if it able to rendered at that distance for the AI. The one thing that the AI has over you is the C&C structure allows their hierarchy to share your location almost immediately and you get assigned a number that gives you a threat assessment for every AI.

loved FEAR, will check the demo out thanks

Absolutely retarded

Arma SP is pretty bad without a revive mod (and some way for the AI to use it).
No matter how you mod things, the AI will always have superhuman spotting at long range and garbage spotting at short range: learn to ignore shadows and grass because they might as well not exist, abuse smoke, and when you get clapped for the 9001th time just spawn an A10 in and rape anything that moves.

It's fun and I enjoy the challenge, but sometimes it can feel like the RNG gods are angry with me. My main problem are the AI squadmates dieing despite putting on a good performance(in my mind).