Game Dev Thread

It's almost monday already in some countries and you haven't posted shit, where's your fucking game user?

Post your progress, ideas™, gameplay, art, music, and ask questions!

Attached: 1659771793997211.jpg (1024x706, 79.08K)

I would make a game but programming looks difficult and it makes my brain hurt

Programming = easy.
Using other people's shit that you don't understand = not easy.

What language (that is used in a game engine) would be good for a beginner?

How do I actually make a top-down RPG? All of the tutorials I see that claim to be about RPGs, are actually about Zelda-like games. I mean a game with turn-based combat like Final Fantasy.
And no, I'm not using RPG Maker. I don't like it.

Remove your fucking tripcode if you want people to treat you with respect or fuck off to reddit.

How else am I going to advertise my game once I make it? I refuse to post on any other websites.

Unreal -> C++
Unity -> C#
Godot -> Python

Attached: shrog.jpg (854x698, 143.18K)

Tricky question. Easiest is probably unity it's easier than level editors and 99% just dragging things around. However, starting from unity will build a very shitty foundation for your knowledge base and will turn you into a shitty developer that is completely dependent on the engine and can barely do any sophisticated stuff, unless you relearn everything later.

So it boils down to the question: do you want to learn gamedev for the long run and understand how things work, or do you just want to hack together a game?

If you want to learn I'd say start with c# + monogame or cpp + sfml or something similar. You can also try js + pixi / threejs but doing web adds annoying complications.

If not just go with unity just don't expect to really grow as a dev.

If you have a tripcode before you have anything to show that means you're just looking for attention.
And if you think advertising your game on this site alone is enough then you're NGMI.

After fucking years of putting it off I'm finally gonna open a god damn book and learn C++ and SDL2/OpenGL for my FPRPG dungeon crawler. In the meantime I'm gonna write my design doc, even if I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do.

Don't follow tutorials, play Final Fantasy 1 and Dragon Quest 1 as homework. Study how they accomplish certain things like movement, graphical presentation, etc.. Then iterate off of those gameplay styles with your own, and only use online tutorials if you find videos to be a better way to learn rather than reading.

Honestly the best way to learn how to play video games is just by paying attention to the design like I have.

Attached: 1659606795378892.gif (500x466, 1.83M)

Learning the basics for a platformer in Godot now! One day my mates, it will be our ticket to freedom.

Attached: fuck the police1.jpg (1200x778, 93.69K)

Does modding count?

Attached: jhkf.png (1491x928, 1.03M)

Yes. Is that a source mod? Quite a while that I used hammer...

Attached: enjoy.jpg (558x558, 239.02K)

Yup, good ol' clunky hammer.

Attached: info_player_chad.png (755x410, 125.11K)

Generals go here user: /vg/

>And if you think advertising your game on this site alone is enough then you're NGMI.
The most successful video game of all time literally did this.

>I mean a game with turn-based combat like Final Fantasy.
you mean like a game with spell menu combat and a top-down overworld?

the internet of 2009 is not the same internet as the internet of 2022

Fair enough.

>final fantasy 1
it's good for simplifcation, but that can be taken from DQ better. Amano is what you need to consider, the relationship between form and color
Final Fantasy 2 is far more intriguing. Its amazing innovations (that resulted in SaGa) and its silly failure are interesting enough to write books about.

>Stop talking about video game related topics on my off topic social media outrage twitter clickbait board!!!

Attached: tired.jpg (450x450, 114.06K)

nooo, where is Clickteam Fusion, this can't be happening, frenchbros...

it's not hard, Set a 2000 people mailing list over a 3 month period. Once you can fill one that fast, you can release.

don't bother replying, he does this every thread. just some faggot