If a game has 90% of its content locked behind winning and you never win, is the game good?

If a game has 90% of its content locked behind winning and you never win, is the game good?

Attached: Cavintrans.png (560x602, 157.18K)

Define "good"

Of quality, susceptible to review on the basis of valuable features and interest.

if it is fun it is good

kill yourself nigger

No fun is fun, good is a standard. :^)

Multiplayer games live and die by their communities, and if their community is a bunch of fun hating autists then the game's shit too.

Attached: 123124515.jpg (350x200, 68.01K)

As a pure thought experiment, yes. In practice, the disappoint of knowing there's an inaccessible 90% of the game would sour people's opinion, not to mention that the 10% that is playable would only be a few hours or highly lacking in content.

I guess the best example right now would be Deltarune. Chapter 1 was well received despite more than 80% of the full game Deltarune being unplayable. You could argue that Chapter 1 is only 'good' on the promise that there's more coming. Players are willing to accept a lack of payoff on the narrative beats, for instance, because they know Chapter 2, 3, etc are coming out. If Toby Fox had a heart attack right now, Chapter 1+2 of Deltarune would be regarded as "good, but tragically unfinished". On the other hand. if Chapter 1 as we know it came out and it was declared the entirety of Deltarune with no further updates planned, people would be upset.

Attached: 1613689460502.jpg (1080x1080, 106.08K)

Games shouldn't be competitive.

It might or might not be, but you definitely aren't

Imagine you are playing a fighting game, and winning means unlocking more content. You start with eight fighters, and if you win, you can unlock more boss characters and rivals. But in order to unlock them, you must actually win; you cannot cheat, you cannot input a code, you cannot buy them. You must actually beat the game several times to unlock more content, and the game is fashionably difficult.

Does that game merit a positive response?

user thinks he's entitled to say whatever he feels like but he isn't entitled to say what he doesn't.

If you don't give a shit, you can be persecuted for defamation :^)

How good a game is isn't necessarily tied to its content nor how much you win. You could consider a game to be good even if you suck at it and haven't finished it because you couldn't win agains the final boss due to a skill issue.

Can you submit that a game's rules and perception of challenge are content?

>:^)
Is this supposed to be your ugly kike jew nose

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that

Because some games are irredeemably bad for being challenging while others are markedly good, for some reason. :^)

quit namefagging nigger

Well that sounds like another scenario entirely isn't it? Some games are challenging because they are meant to be challenging, like Super Meat Boy or IWTBTG. Then there are some games that are challenging because of bugs in the gameplay mechanics that say, makes the movement less responsive in games where it should be snappier.

It's the same thing. :^)

Notwithstanding personal abetting or willingness to win, is the game a quality source of review based on its interpretation of content and how it is locked.

As long as I get a reasonable amount of entertainment from a game, I would be inclined to say it's good, regardless of overall completion, as simply my personal appraisal rather than a statement of fact. This is highly dependent on so many other factors that to attempt to draw any other conclusion from my statement is arguing in bad faith.
Games are a highly subjective medium that are oftentimes greater than the sum of their technical parts, which CAN be judged in an objective manner.

I don't think it's a practical way to review games; to leave content management and its presentation out of the investigation, while admiring all its challenges and flaws.

It is not. Challenge can be intentional or unintentional.

It's not a game if it doesn't incorporate challenge.

Challenge is in the definition of a game. :^)