There's something about modern game graphics that unnerves and disgusts me but I can't put my finger on exactly what

There's something about modern game graphics that unnerves and disgusts me but I can't put my finger on exactly what

It's like the shadows aren't dark enough, or the reflected lights are too strong, or the whole scene feels slathered in something, but a lot of them just feel wrong and for some reason it's being sold as an improvement over what we used to have

Attached: 32545.jpg (1832x2158, 799.92K)

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/t4Dx0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

autism, gotta be

Unironically get your eyes checked, it sounds like you have a light/colour sensitivity.

Modern games have soft colors vs hard contrasting colors. It's a fad art style that's everywhere and over done nowadays. It's like people are afraid of half the color palette.

Attached: contrast.png (1832x2158, 1.98M)

Everything is blurry as shit to hide the low quality textures. Modern devs have no idea how to optimize engines.

Values, it's always values, shadows not dark enough, highlights not bright enough, everything's a grey mush, there's very little indication of form or separation of playable and interactive areas from the level borders and the non-interactive stuff. This has to be hand designed, you can't just plop in the assets modelled in isolation and let the lighting engine take care of it, a human being needs to design it for other human beings.

Eyelets + artlets

This

Retards.

crash 4 is a bad example desu it's a nice looking game

You're old, and new things frighten you because they don't remind you of what you've been familiar with since you were a child, thus depriving you of the sense of comfort and escapism that you crave.

It's because modern developers are scared of real contrast, their shadows are barely shadows

Attached: 1630962476739.jpg (1425x1961, 644.47K)

My little zoomer can't be this retarded

clear visual communication. top is obviously a passable area with clear platforms and unambiguous boundaries. bottom is... what is that? seriously what the fuck am I looking at?

Someone post the black and white images of Diablo 2 vs 3.

it's like a mess with a video game level hidden somewhere

Attached: 1628876969005.jpg (2908x2920, 2.5M)

Games should remain cartoonish, so that no-one ever forgets that they're just electronic/expensive gi-joe's.

is not unnerving is just soulessism

Disgusting

its because
>old games were made by middle-aged gamer men living in their mom's garage
>new games are designed by a panel of 'experts' with marketing & business degrees

thats why every game, app, program and website has the same fucking zoomer phone UI.
a panel of psychologists somewhere decided that it was the most efficient UI so now we're stuck with everything being flat, oversized buttons with monochrome stylized simple symbols.

There's too much shit in the environment because it "looks good" and "high definition" when it's cluttered with things. But it distracts you from what's important: the gameplay.

I think it's also something to do with what some people call "tranny colors" meaning muted or pastel colors over solid colors.

A clear example is Pokémon
imgur.com/a/t4Dx0

I read females prefer the pastel palettes and men prefer the solid ones so of course you know which has to be the new standard

Its because game makers think they're fucking martin Scorsese or tarantino and try to color-grade everything these days because they think color-grading just automatically = good art direction